cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Installing Xilinx.lic on Ise 10.1

How do I install Xilinx.lic on ISE 10.1?

Ps.: There is no "Xilinx License Configuration Manager" in the ISE Projet Navigator help menu

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Sorry, I should have mentioned.

My ISE 10.1 is already installed and functional. I have just asked for a license for "LogiCORE™ IP
Endpoint Block Plus v1.9 for PCI Express". I received by email a file called Xilinx.lic (Node-locked License) and instruction on how to install it for version 12, which does not work on my 10.1 version.

I tried to copy it to the folder where I have other *.lic files but it does not work either.

I need this to generate a core using CORE Generator.

How should I proceed?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Ah, makes sense...

It used to be straight forward because:

-the tools didn't use Flex licensing (except for PlanAhead and AccelDSP prior to 10.1)

-the IP licenses delivered included a zip archive with the expected path so you could just unzip the license and have it go to the right location

With the flex licensing changes in 11.1, the IP license is delivered in a way that makes sense for the newer versions of the tools because you can just import it into XLCM and it takes care of it. This usually works smoothly too.

But this type of case isn't initially obvious to some...

Assuming you are using windows, you want:

-put the IP license in C:\.Xilinx\Coregen\CoreLicenses. Note that is .Xilinx not Xilinx (which is a hidden directory unless you change the defaults for Windows Explorer to see hidden files/directories). C:\.Xilinx may also work.

-restart CoreGen to have it rescan the licenses

Perhaps useful.

http://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/ip_license/ip_licensing_help.htm

That process works fine for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I also usually rename the license file. In 11/12, most people use a single license file managed by xlcm.

You can combine them manually but I find it useful to still use individual ones for 10.1 & previous. I rename them so I can tell what it in them without having to open them, e.g. 080410_v5_pcie.lic

bt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Apparently I don't have a ".Xilinx" directory. Instead, I have copied Xilinx.lic in "C:\Xilinx\10.1\ISE\coregen\core_licenses" where I have other .lic files.

In CORE Generator  >> license Properties >> Built in search paths, in have the following: 

C:\.Xilinx\Coregen\CoreLicenses;C:\Xilinx\10.1\EDK\data\core_licenses;C:\Xilinx\10.1\ISE\coregen\core_licenses

Shouldn't it work, as the license is in the search path?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I don't know. I would initially suspect any valid directory in the search path would work, but admit I've always used C:\.Xilinx

And apparently the [redacted] Windows Explorer won't you create a directory with . prefacing the name.

I'd open a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) and do:

cd c:\

mkdir .Xilinx

Now you'll have one... ;)

bt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The other possible explanation is that the license manager cached the licenses and you need to force a refresh to see the new one.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/32595.htm (11.1 CORE Generator - Eval license is used instead of Full license for IP core)

bt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

- Any of the directories in the License path should be fine to store the license file.

- %HOMEDIR%\.Xilinx\Coregen\corelicenses is the typical place to store customer specific licenses.

- C:\.Xilinx\Coregen\CoreLicenses;C:\Xilinx\10.1\EDK\data\core_licenses;C:\Xilinx\10.1\ISE\coregen\core_licenses are all default locations for licenses that are shipped/installed with Xilinx tool sets but a user could use these locations if desired.\

- XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE is an environment variable that can be set to a directory with license files or to a specific license file.  The XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE location should take precedence over the other locations.

- Timpe was right about the cache possibly needing to be reset (run " xlicmgr reset").

- Run "xlicmgr status -c <feature name> -v" to get a verbose report of where the license manager is looking to the license.

- Note: An IP core will need to be regenerated with the full license if it was first generated with an evaluation or simulation license.

See: http://www.xilinx.com/tools/faq.htm for more general information.

See: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/32301.htm for license troubleshooting help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I am facing the problem here, but mine is floating license.

I had tried what timpe mentioned, but still the status shown "Invalid - FLEXlm Error: No such feature exists. (-5, 21).

Also, howardp mentioned about XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE, what should I do with it?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If the floating license is up and running just set the value of XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE to the <port>@<server> location.  The port number and server are defined in the license file.

More information on this can be found in the two links provided in my previous post.

0 Kudos