cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Installing and Licensing Vivado 18.2 on a server ubuntu 16.04

Hi,

I need to enable 20 students to program their ARTY-7 boards.

We have 20 (client) PCs running Ubuntu 16.04

Normally we install software applications on a server which share common disks with the clients

I have two questions which I could not find answers to in the forums:

1) which is the best solution to avoid single Vivado 18.2 installation on each server ?

I guess that a single installation is Ok on the server on a shared directory like /opt

My problem is that in order to use chipscope /opt directory is not OK because

users need to be superusers ... which is not allowed to students (by policy)

Is there a way for installing Vivado on a server that avoid any access to superuser

privileges to the users ?

2) the students will need to use a free ISE WebPACK License. Should each user install

locally the License ? How can that be compatible with a server installation of Vivado ?

Or might a single License installed on the server be user at the same time by many

users on their PCs ?

Thanks a lot for your kind attention

Best regards

Gianmaria Collazuol

University of Padova (Italy)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Hello @collazuo,

Please note that Vivado WebPACK 2018.2 is unlicensed (i.e. no longer requires a Vivado WebPACK license), therefore you don’t need to log in and obtain any licenses for Vivado 2018.2 WebPACK edition (ONLY).

In relation to the University LAB based multiple installations of Vivado, please note that Xilinx requires each machine that our tools are installed on to have the EULA accepted by the installer. The end user license agreement (EULA) for version 2018.x of the Vivado Design Suite of software tools must be accepted by each Licensee (as defined in the EULA) at least one time by running through the installer GUI or batch mode. After a Licensee has accepted the EULA and installed one copy of the Software (as defined by the EULA), such Licensee may install additional copies of the licensed Software in any convenient manner including by copying the installation folder to other machines, provided that Licensee complies with the EULA in all respects. If this is a Windows installation, once the Software is copied to a new machine, the "shortcutSetup.bat" command should be run from the common subfolder to setup desktop icons, and start menu items."

So basically, once you have the application installed on one computer (and have read and accepted EULA at least one time), you can then move the whole install (e.g. /home/…/Vivado/2018.2) to your other Linux/Windows machine.

Note: shortcutsetup.bat launches a GUI at its completion. If you concern about this stalling your script (if any), in this case the end user (i.e. each student) can run this script to setup the shortcut when they first use the machine rather than the script running it. That way their Vivado shortcuts will be added to their individual machine.

Hope the above is clear and will help you to overcome this matter.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos