UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer themoonboy
Observer

Is Vivado HLS edition free now?

Jump to solution

I download VIvado HLx edition, and click all options during installation. After installing, I found there is also a Vivado HLS downloaded in my Desktop (I use Ubuntu), and Vivado HLS edition doesn't need license to run code, but Vivado HLx edition needs. Is the Vivado HLS edition totally free to use now?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Is Vivado HLS edition free now?

Jump to solution

You're a little bit confused about tools.

Vivado HLS is not an edition, it's a separate tool. It converts C/C++ code (or something close to that) into Verilog/VHDL, but it cannot produce an FPGA bitstream. No separate license is required, it just uses whatever license Vivado is using.

Vivado is the tool that turns Verilog/VHDL into an FPGA bitstream. It does require a license, although for all the small devices there's a free "WebPack" license that gets generated automatically and gives you virtually all the functionality of the full Design Edition (all you miss out on is Partial Reconfiguration, which is no great loss).

Vivado HLx is the name for both of the above tools packaged together.

2 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

You're a little bit confused about tools.

Vivado HLS is not an edition, it's a separate tool. It converts C/C++ code (or something close to that) into Verilog/VHDL, but it cannot produce an FPGA bitstream. No separate license is required, it just uses whatever license Vivado is using.

Vivado is the tool that turns Verilog/VHDL into an FPGA bitstream. It does require a license, although for all the small devices there's a free "WebPack" license that gets generated automatically and gives you virtually all the functionality of the full Design Edition (all you miss out on is Partial Reconfiguration, which is no great loss).

Vivado HLx is the name for both of the above tools packaged together.

Observer themoonboy
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing! It is very clear for understanding these tools. Moreover, I notice that by running high-level synthesis by C/C++/SystemC on Vivado HLS, there are Verilog / VHDL codes automatically generated. Is this always a good generation which we could directly feed into Vivado and fabricate in FPGA?

0 Kudos