UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer rashmihegde
Observer

JESD204 Licensing

Jump to solution

Hello,

We are using an Evaluation License of JESD204 LogicCore IP core to set up a JESD receiver on an Artix-7 FPGA(XC7A200T) to interface with an ADC.
We are also planning to migrate the design to a Kintex KU040 FPGA.

We are looking to purchase a full license for JESD204 LogicCore IP.
There are two versions of the license available on digikey with significant difference in pricing - EFR-DI-JESD204-PROJ-ND and EF-DI-JESD204-SITE-ND.

I understand that the PROJ license is restricted only to a single board and the SITE license allows the usage of the core in a specific geographic site.
Could you please let me know if there are any other differences between the two licenses, in terms of license duration or any additional constraints?

Thank you.

Rashmi Hegde

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: JESD204 Licensing

Jump to solution

@rashmihegde

Since there is newer something free in life… if something looks cheap, I would look twice.

If I had to bet on this I would say the EFR-DI-JESD204-PROJ-ND (about $1000) is the renewal license for the initial license

EF-DI-JESD204-PROJ-ND (about $4700).

Hence, ask your distributor for the conditions for the various licenses. On the other hand I just realize: Nobody from Xilinx responds…

Cheers

Goran

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@rashmihegde

As far as I know the EF-DI-JESD204-SITE-ND (about $7000) is the initial license you need and is valid for 1 year. After this first year the EFR-DI-JESD204-SITE-ND (about $1500) is the annual renewal of the license valid for another (1) year.

Cheers

Goran

0 Kudos
Observer rashmihegde
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello Goran,

Thanks for the reply. There is also a third license EFR-DI-JESD204-PROJ-ND (about $1000) also for one year. I am assuming this is only restricted to one board part as other PROJ licenses.

For our purpose, I do not think we will use more than two FPGAs so the PROJ license should work.

I just want to make sure I understand correctly and also check if this can be set up as a floating license.

Rashmi

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@rashmihegde

Since there is newer something free in life… if something looks cheap, I would look twice.

If I had to bet on this I would say the EFR-DI-JESD204-PROJ-ND (about $1000) is the renewal license for the initial license

EF-DI-JESD204-PROJ-ND (about $4700).

Hence, ask your distributor for the conditions for the various licenses. On the other hand I just realize: Nobody from Xilinx responds…

Cheers

Goran

View solution in original post

Observer rashmihegde
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello Goran,

I had a look on the website again and yes it seems like the EFR-DI-JESD204-PROJ-ND (about $1000) is the renewal license for the initial license EF-DI-JESD204-PROJ-ND (about $4700). I overlooked the second license as it was not shown on the digikey.

Thanks for the update!!

Rashmi

Jump to solution

Hello @rashmihegde,

In relation to the IP Core licenses, these come as Site, Project and Worldwide, i.e.:

A "site license" is a license for a specific site. For example, if Xilinx had a site license for MicroBlaze, everyone at Xilinx within a five-mile radius would be under the license agreement (the "site license" is defined by a five-mile radius). 

There is also a “Project license” which only allows use of the core in a single project. A "project" is defined to be a single board that is programmed using multiple bitstreams containing the core, or multiple boards that are programmed by a single bitstream containing the core.

The above is explained in this Answer Record: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/45589.html

Whereas, a “Worldwide license” is NOT defined by a five-mile radius and it is not specific to a single project. If there are many other users around the world are working on parts of the same/different design, they are allowed to log in and generate and use this Worldwide license no matter where they are based in the world, without breaking EULA.

Also, as you may know, Site, Project and Worldwide licenses are not constrained to a number of seats.

When you generate any of these licenses as a floating license, the license will be given 9999 seats as shown in the following example.

# This is a permanent license….

INCREMENT pci_express xilinxd 2013.08 permanent 9999 61355226A4B4 \

VENDOR_STRING=License_Type:Bought;user_name,pci_express,ip,permanent,_xxx

The user can generate as many floating or nodelock license files as they wish (i.e. after generation, the entitlement is still the same on the licensing page).

The user/administrator is required by EULA to establish a control of the scope of availability.

If further advice is needed, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer rashmihegde
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks @anatoli for the reply!

I think we will go with the site license.

Also, like Goran pointed out, the EFR_.... license seem to be only the renewal license and hence cheaper.

0 Kudos