UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Java NullPointerException when trying to uninstall Vivado 2016.3 or to install 2017.3

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Participant
Accepted Solution

Java NullPointerException when trying to uninstall Vivado 2016.3 or to install 2017.3

Hi All,

I was trying to make some room on my drive by removing Vivado 2016.3. When I launch the uninstaller, I get an error message:

There was an error loading installation data. Please refer to the log file (...) for more information.

The log file is attached to this post.

I had the same kind of trouble when I installed Vivado 2017.3. There, I was able to install only when I ran the installer from sudo bash. If launched in a normal shell, I would also get NullPointerExceptions and graphical issues in the installer.

I'm working on Ubuntu 16.04.

Accepted Solutions
Participant

Re: Java NullPointerException when trying to uninstall Vivado 2016.3 or to install 2017.3

The solution is to use the xsetup tool that is stored in the correct location. For every Vivado version, there are TWO copies of the xsetup tool!

1) /opt/Xilinx/Downloads/Vivado_2017.3/xsetup

2) /opt/Xilinx/.xinstall/Vivado_2017.3/xsetup

You must use the second tool, as the first one will not work.

Also, you need to run it from a sudo bash, just running it as sudo will not work.

I don't understand why Xilinx puts two copies of the tool on my disk, and why only one of them will work.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Java NullPointerException when trying to uninstall Vivado 2016.3 or to install 2017.3

Hi @welo_zhaw,

Try to delete the contain of AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado. You will find this directory in USER directory. 

After deleting this content , check whether you face this java Nullpointer error or not.

Regards,

hemangd

Participant

Hi @hemangd,

The path you mentioned looks like a Windows path. I'm working on Ubuntu. Would you happen to know where I would find the corresponding directory on Ubuntu?

Regards, welo_zhaw

Hi @welo_zhaw,

Usually, when you write pwd in tcl console, it lets you know the default working directory that is used when the Vivado tool is opened. 

Regards,

hemangd

Participant

Hi @hemangd,

Using the 'pwd' will give me the workspace path. I don't think erasing the workspace will achieve much except deleting my work.

Again, my goal is to launch the Uninstaller for Vivado 2016.3 and I can't launch it because of the NullPointerException. These NullPointerExceptions have started occurring during the installing I of Vivado 2017.3.

The contents of the logfile I attached to the initial post don't provide a lot of information, but to me it looks like a problem in the installer api.

Is it safe to just erase all the directories belonging to the Vivado 2016.3 install?

Regards,
welo_zhaw
Participant

The solution is to use the xsetup tool that is stored in the correct location. For every Vivado version, there are TWO copies of the xsetup tool!

1) /opt/Xilinx/Downloads/Vivado_2017.3/xsetup

2) /opt/Xilinx/.xinstall/Vivado_2017.3/xsetup

You must use the second tool, as the first one will not work.

Also, you need to run it from a sudo bash, just running it as sudo will not work.

I don't understand why Xilinx puts two copies of the tool on my disk, and why only one of them will work.