Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michelcharette
Observer
Observer

Java not supported

Jump to solution

In the latest Java update, there is the following mention:

Public updates for Oracle Java SE 8 released after January 2019 will not be available for business, commercial or production use without a commercial license.

https://www.java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp

Will this affect operability of Vivado and Xilinx SDK? I've personally had an issue with a Java update breaking Xilinx SDK - it started generated weird error messages upon startup... had to update tools right before a deadline, not fun...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
evant_nq
Explorer
Explorer

The Xilinx install should have it's own jre included (Somewhere like /Xilinx/Vivado/2018.x/tps/lin/jre/ ). So if there is any issue with your system java, you should be able to change your environment to point to that jre only before sourcing the tools. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kmorris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @michelcharette, From my understanding Vivado distributes the JRE (Jave SE Runtime Environment). In the readme for this it states:

To run your application, a user needs the Java SE Runtime Environment, which is freely available from Oracle. Or, you can redistribute the Java SE Runtime Environment for free with your application, according to the terms of the Oracle Binary Code License Agreement for the Java SE Platform Products.

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/jre-8-readme-2095710.html

I am not sure if the release notice you provided supersedes this readme or not but I will check with our development team about this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution!
evant_nq
Explorer
Explorer

The Xilinx install should have it's own jre included (Somewhere like /Xilinx/Vivado/2018.x/tps/lin/jre/ ). So if there is any issue with your system java, you should be able to change your environment to point to that jre only before sourcing the tools. 

View solution in original post

kmorris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Just to add onto what @evant_nq has stated, Vivado will look for the Java version from within its own installer, so any outside updates to Java will have no impact on what version is used within the Vivado install.

Please don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution!
michelcharette
Observer
Observer

So if I install, let's say Vivado 2019.3, and its JRE has a security issue that is corrected by an update to this JRE, then I will need to wait for Vivado 2019.4?

0 Kudos
cc@noblis
Visitor
Visitor

This is exactly my issue -- I have a corporate security finding that I have an unsupported/EOL version of Java installed and need to replace it.

0 Kudos