cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

License manager using MAC address for eth3 not eth0

Hi, I'm trying to use Vivado 2015.4 on my CentOS 6.1 box. It worked on Monday using my nodelocked license, which is set to the MAC address of eth0.

Yesterday, another user has activated a 10GB Ethernet card as eth3 on this computer for testing other hardware, but eth0 is still active. Now the license manager thinks that it should use the MAC address of eth3 as its hostID, not the MAC address of eth0.

I have looked all over the forums and user manuals and lmutil for how to change this hostID behavior, but I have found no joy whatsoever.

How can I tell the license manager which of my Ethernet ports to use for hostID?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: License manager using MAC address for eth3 not eth0

Hello @nixiebunny ,

You can use either eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3 MAC addresses, and shouldn't have any issues. Do you see HOST ID Maches = NO in the Vivado License Manager?

Having eth0 still active, do you see its MAC Address listed under the View Host Information in VLM:

image.png

If so, and if your license was generated using this eth0 host.MAC id, then your license should work fine.

However, if you now need to re-host your license targeting your eth3 mac address, please re-generate your license file with eth3's MAC ID and that will work for you too.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I wish that I saw all the different MAC addresses listed in the host information. I only see eth3 MAC address. The match field is No for all licenses. So it doesn't work.

I did a workaround by removing the other Ethernet NIC from the computer. Now I see the eth0 MAC address in host information, match is Yes, and everything works. Clearly, that's not a permanent solution.

I'm using 2015.4 due to some third-party legacy IP that I can't upgrade around. I tried.  Xilinx seems to have broken the encryption in 2017.

I assume that I am completely without a solution, then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @nixiebunny ,

It looks like eth0 gets disabled when your eth3 gets enabled. If eth0 isn't visible/disabled, and VLM can't see this eth0's MAC address, then as expected, you'd get a licensing error. In this case, please regenerate your license targeting your eth3's MAC address and you can bypass the licensing error that way too.

When eth3 gets enabled, if you navigate to C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2018.3/bin/unwrapped/win64.o, and then, from here, please run this command: lmutil lmhostid

Do you see both eth0's and also eth3's MAC/Host IDs listed or just eth3's one?

If that is the case, please talk to your IT team and see why eth0 gets disabled in your case at the time when eth3 gets enabled. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thanks for the input. However, I have both eth0 and eth3 available when Vivado insists on using eth3. I use eth0 to connect the computer to the network, so I know it's there. And I see it in ipconfig.

I ended up installing a second nodelocked license to the eth3 MAC address, so that I can use the machine whether or not the Ethernet card is installed. Not a good solution, but it works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Hi @nixiebunny 

This issue is well known issue in EDA tool vendor, like Synopsys, Cadence, Mentor graphics and so on.

It is related with flexlm's version.

Would you upgrade flexlm's version, if possible ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos