UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor andreadicola
Visitor

Licensing Error with Reed-Solomon Encoder/Decoder IP in System Generator for DSP

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have a problem with the instantiation of the Reed-Solomon Encoder/Decoder blocks in System Generator for DSP.

My tools configuration is: Vivado 2018.2 plus MATLAB R2018a.

I have bought the licenses for the Reed-Solomon Encoder/Decoder IPs and I am able to see them correctly under the Vivado License Manager.

I am also able to generate the IPs under Vivado without problems.

Instead, when I use the System Generator libraries for the Reed-Solomon Encoder/Decoder I get this error every time I try to configure the blocks: "This block requires one or more mandatory licenses but no valid licenses were found. Please update the license settings to use this block. Error occurred during "Block Configuration"".

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance for cooperation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Licensing Error with Reed-Solomon Encoder/Decoder IP in System Generator for DSP

Jump to solution

Excellent news @andreadicola , glad all works fine with 2018.3.

Sound like the PATH perhaps wasn't previously configured correctly with Vivado 2018.2 and perhaps this was causing this strange behvaiour?

To be honest, it is just a guess, as I can't be 100% sure on this, as i've never could reproduce this issue.

All i know is that back with the older versions of SysGen, there were a few issues that got addressed in the latest release, so maybe the bahaviour you saw in 2018.2 was one of these issues that got addressed in 2018.3 and newer releases?

Anyhow, as the issue is now resolved in 2018.3, are you OK to continue to work with 2018.3 for now or are you must remain 2018.2 for your design? If not, please use 2018.3 or newer Vivado releases.

Have a nice evening.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: Licensing Error with Reed-Solomon Encoder/Decoder IP in System Generator for DSP

Jump to solution

Hello @andreadicola ,

Can you please send me your Xinfo report generated on the machine where you are seeing this licensing issue?

Xinfo.txt can be generated by running the "report_environment –file xinfo.txt" command in Vivado TCL console.

I will be able to examine this and then see where the issue is coming from. 

Thanks in advance and have a nice evening.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor andreadicola
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello @anatoli ,

first of all thank you for answering.

I have just generated the Xinfo file and I attach it to this reply.

One thing I have missed to say is the OS. I am working on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4.

I think that all the licenses are loaded well. But I cannot understand why System Generator gives errors.

Thank you again for cooperation.

I hope to hear you soon.

Best Regards,

Andrea

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @andreadicola ,

Your SysGen related Node-Locked license file looks good, so my suspicion is that the issue is with your IP Core Floating license file.

Can you please open a command prompt and CD to the location such as e.g.: C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.1/bin/unwrapped/win64.o

Then, from here, please run this command: lmutil lmstat –a –c <port_number>@<server_name> -i ( in your case the cammand is: lmutil lmstat –a –c 2100@thsmlablic01.wflab.chieti.thales -i)

Then please see if lmgrd is UP and xilinxd is UP too and then, see what version of flexlm utilities the server is/was started with? Do you see v11.14 for both lmgrd and xilinxd?

Can you confirm on the above please? Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor andreadicola
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @anatoli,

unfortunately I cannot run that command because my workstation cannot be connected to internet and I don't have the required Red Hat packets/libraries to properly run that command.

I get the following error: "./lmutil: /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3; bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory".

But I can say that I have asked to my colleague to verify the version on the server and it is the following: 11.14.1.0.

Another thing I can say is that with Vivado everything works, so I think that the license is correctly addressed. I can use the IP within Block Design, I can configure it and so on.

The problems is with System Generator. When I create a project with the IP I am not able to run the simulation and to configure the core.

Do you have any other test I can do to help you understanding? If the previous test is mandatory I can try to ask for an internet access but I think it will be very difficult to obtain for security reasons.

Thank you again for cooperation.

Best Regards,

Andrea

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @andreadicola ,

Can you please ask your colleague to cd to C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.1/bin/unwrapped/win64.o (or if this is Linux OS< to ../xilinx/Vivado/2019.1/bin/unwrapped/lnx64.o and from here,run  lmutil lmstat –a –c 2100@thsmlablic01.wflab.chieti.thales -i
And then please share a screenshot of what the output be?

To me, this appears to be SysGen specific related issue, as you've confirmed that all is OK in Vivado.

Can i ask you please to set FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS Environment variable value 3,

eg:     FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS=3

And then try and see if you get an additional licensing pop up dialog box with additional info at the time when SysGen produces a licensing error?

I would also suggest running SysGen as an administrator, as sometimes this helps with a wide range of issues in SysGen

Are you only seeing issues with RS Encoder IP and perhaps RS Decoder IP works fine without any license errors? I've seen this behaviour before, so would like to check on this with you too. Can you try and confirm if the issue is only seen with RS Encoder IP, but not with RS Decoder IP?

And lastly, is there a chance for you to try and use the latest Vivado tools, including SysGen, such as v2019.1?

I know back with 2017.x and perhaps 2018.x, we had some issues with SysGen, however these all should now be addressed in 2019.1 and newer releases.

BTW, Supported MATLAB Versions with 2019.1 are : R2017a, R2017b, and R2018a.

The licenses that you have are also all perfect for 2019.1 version of Vivado tools, so i don't see any issue for you to try and work with Vivado 2019.1 tools, including System Generator. Would that be possible for you to test this with the latest SysGen 2019.1?

If you have any questions for me on the above, please let me know.

Have a nice day and enjoy your weekend.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@andreadicola 

...and lastly, can you confirm please that you also have a valid MATLAB license file in place? As i know, MATLAB is a licensed tool, so also require a valid matlab related license on top of your Vivado related license files.
Please note that Xilnx don't provide such a license, so if needed, this can be obtained from Mathworks.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor andreadicola
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @anatoli,

I try to answer to all your questions.

1. My colleague launched the "lmutil" on the license server and I attached you the output.

2. I put the FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS=3 environment variable in the .flexlmrc file under the user Home, but I have only many more messages on the console regarding the Mathworks toolboxes.

3. I cannot launch the SysGen as administrator because the MATLAB license is linked to the user.

4. I am seeing the issue both for Reed-Solomon Encoder and Decoder IPs.

5. Unfortunately I cannot install for the moment the Vivado 2019.1. If it is very important I have to plan it but I could have then integration problems.

6. I have a valid MATLAB license on my workstation. I am able to create and run SysGen projects and only when I use the RS Encoder/Decoder IPs I get the error.

I hope to have been clear.
Thank you againg.
Have a nice weekend too.
Best Regards,
Andrea

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @andreadicola ,

That is strange indeed, as we have seen this happening before for other users, and we never could find an actual root cause, as everything seems to be working fine from the Vivado side, however when it comes to SysGen + Matlab, the issue is seen then.

For us to be able to gain more info in relation to the licensing error, FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS=3 environment variable needs to be set the same way as your XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE was set to point to your floating license server.
As such, can you please just open a terminal and run ‘set FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS=3’ (or setenv FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS 3) and once done, within the same terminal, if you can open SysGen, then please monitor the additional info that would get generated.

Would you please copy these into a file and send this file to me for examination?

Can you also please set your XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE to point to ‘2100@thsmlablic01’ instead of 2100@thsmlablic01.wflab.chieti.thales? Then please try running SysGen/matlab once again and let me know if the same behaviour is seen then or not?

As a workaround, are you even able to generate these IPs in Vivado design flow and then using black box, can you then import core in SysGen? License check only happen during core generation . So when you generate core successfully you should able to integrate these then in sysgen 

Here are the steps 

1. Generate core in vivado 
2. Create sysgen design and import Vivado IP in sysgen using black box

In any case, I won’t be able to reproduce this, as I don’t have any Matlab related licenses in place for me to be able to reproduce this issue at my end.
Let’s see if our DSP IP and Tools experts can advice here on something else to try.

@nathanx , @meherp , Can you please see if you can reproduce this licensing behaviour at your end, as to me, SysGen perhaps is looking for a licensing feature such as e.g. 'rs_encoder_v9' instead of ‘rs_encoder’ (the same as in Vivado).

Please note that using Vivado flow, everything works as expected targeting these IP Cores ( both Reed-Solomon Encoder and Decoder IPs).

However, when comes to SysGen, a licensing error is seen then, that is only occur when using the RS Encoder/Decoder IPs in SysGen.

Can you please help here further, as i would assume you'd have access to the relevant Matlab license file, to be able to reproduce this issue?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor andreadicola
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello @anatoli,

I have just terminated a test substituting Vivado 2018.2 with Vivado 2018.3 (not 2019.1 because of an internal tool we are using that supports for the moment up to the 2018.3).

I have to say that is very strange but now the situation has changed: I am able to use the RS IP cores within SysGen !!!

I did nothing particular: only installed Vivado 2018.3 and configured the PATH with the new Vivado 2018.3 one; then I launched the SysGen and now it works.

So I am not able to say what is changed and why it is working now.

Do you think I have to execute your instructions the same?

Thank you very much for your precious support.

Best Regards,

Andrea

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Excellent news @andreadicola , glad all works fine with 2018.3.

Sound like the PATH perhaps wasn't previously configured correctly with Vivado 2018.2 and perhaps this was causing this strange behvaiour?

To be honest, it is just a guess, as I can't be 100% sure on this, as i've never could reproduce this issue.

All i know is that back with the older versions of SysGen, there were a few issues that got addressed in the latest release, so maybe the bahaviour you saw in 2018.2 was one of these issues that got addressed in 2018.3 and newer releases?

Anyhow, as the issue is now resolved in 2018.3, are you OK to continue to work with 2018.3 for now or are you must remain 2018.2 for your design? If not, please use 2018.3 or newer Vivado releases.

Have a nice evening.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor andreadicola
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @anatoli,

I am OK with Vivado 2018.3. So if it continues to work I am OK. :-)

Regarding the PATH, it was configured properly also with Vivado 2018.2. Now I have only changed it due to the upgrade to Vivado 2018.3. So I think it was not an issue related to the PATH.

As said before I don't know why now is working...but it is OK! :-)

Perhaps it was an issued that has been addressed in new versions of Vivado, as you said.

Thank you again.

Best Regards,

Andrea