cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving ISE to D drive

Hi all,

i have ISE installed on my C drive but because it is huge and this drive is almost full, i'd like to move it completely to the D drive.

I can imagine two ways: uninstall from C / reinstall on D (i want to avoid this one) or moving the complete directory and then editing some config files, this is from far the preferred solution. What is the procedure to do so? I

Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Re: Moving ISE to D drive

Unless you are very comfortable with using the registry editor the only real option

is to uninstall and re-install.  Unfortunately this also means going back to the

original installation files and then applying the service packs, etc.  You might

want to think about moving something else to your D drive to buy some time until

you're ready to install the next revision of ISE...

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Go ahead and copy the installation over to the D drive and then just run "remotexsetup.bat".  That batch file will setup your registry, desktop icons, environment variables, start menu, etc.  You can find the batch file in your <install location>\common\bin\nt or nt64 folder depending on if this is 32-bit or 64-bit.
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

That's really good to know.  Is this documented somewhere?
-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It is documented under Network Installations: Microsoft Windows Clients on page 40 of the Release Notes (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/irn.pdf).  Obviously it applies to non-network installations as well.  Basically remotexsetup.bat allows you to move your installation around and then set up the environment and registry for the new location.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@davidch wrote:

It is documented under Network Installations: Microsoft Windows Clients on page 40 of the Release Notes (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/irn.pdf).  Obviously it applies to non-network installations as well.  Basically remotexsetup.bat allows you to move your installation around and then set up the environment and registry for the new location.

Wow, I had no idea that this existed. Is it relevant for 10.x too? I have both 10.1.3 and 11.5 installed on my machine, and I really need to get them off of the C:\ drive.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This did exist in 10.1 as well.  The information can be found on page 42 of the 10.1 installation guide (http://www.xilinx.com/itp/xilinx10/books/docs/irn/irn.pdf).  The script is called setXenv.bat in that version and it is in the <install_location>\bin\nt folder.

Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@davidch wrote:

This did exist in 10.1 as well.  The information can be found on page 42 of the 10.1 installation guide (http://www.xilinx.com/itp/xilinx10/books/docs/irn/irn.pdf).  The script is called setXenv.bat in that version and it is in the <install_location>\bin\nt folder.

Much thanks -- I was able to move both my 10.1 and 11.5 installs to a different drive and everything still works!

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, 

I encounter the same problem, and I want to move ISE to other drive beside C. I am currently using the lastest version ISE14.7. Under the director you provided, I only find these two bath files, i.e. shortcutSetup.bat and install_drivers_wrapper.bat. I did not find the remotexsetup.bat file, could you please tell me which one should I choose? And do I run this bat file after I move the complete Xilinx file to say D drive?

Thanks

0 Kudos