UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor tchayes
Visitor

PlanAhead license problem

I've an ISE license, Webpack, that works with ISE--but PlanAhead complains it cannot find the license.

The license is shown as permanent.  See attached images.

no_planahead_lic_monitor_window.png
planahead_lic_not_found_screenshot mojo.jpg
xillinx_lic_mgr_shows_permanent.jpg
xilinx_webpack_license.jpg
xillinx_lic_mgr_shows_permanent.jpg
planahead_lic_not_found_screenshot.jpg
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: PlanAhead license problem

Hello @tchayes,

Please note that PlanAhead requires a license that contains a licensing feature called "PlanAhead".

Vivado WebPACK license doesn't have this "PlanAhead" feature. However, if you obtain an ISE Weback license instead, this does have this required future, and that is what you are missing right now, as what you've shown so far, all show Vivado WebPACK license mentioned (and its features). However, ISE WebPACK is what you need in this case, not Vivado WebPACK.

Forum_54.png

Please note that opening ISE tool (without a valid/any license in place), the tool will open OK without any licensing failures, as ISE only looks for a lic if you do MAP/PAR/BitGen. However opening ISE tool on its on, it won't error out if you don't have a valid ISE license in place.

Unlike with PlanAhead, the licensing check is performed when you first open the PlanAhead GUI; that is the reason for this where you see ISE opening OK but not PlanAhead.

Anyhow, obtaining an ISE WebPACK lic will solve your licensing issue then.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor tchayes
Visitor

Thank you, Anatoli. That's helpful, explaining why ISE ran, but PlanAhead didn't.

But I don't know how to get the ISE license, versus Vivado.

First, Vivado/ISE are offered as one option, as if they are the same ("Get free Vivado/ISE Webpack license").

Then, if I click that option I'm taken to a page that does not offer the webpack license at all (either ISE or Vivado), offering licenses for purchase, instead.  (See dead end screenshot, attached).

Advice welcome.

Thanks.

xilinx_license_dead_end.png
0 Kudos

Hello @tchayes,

On this page that you've shown here, the list given here is the list of the entitlement licenses that you can choose to get generated.

As you don't see neither ISE WebPACK lic and nor Vivado WebPACK one, this means that you've already generated these. All of your generated licenses are located under the "Manage Licenses" tab.

If you go to this "Manage Licenses" tab, in here you will find these.

If you like, you can select these licenses one by one, and hit the delete little icon in the bottom left corner.

Forum_56.png

These won't get 'destroyed' but rather get put back to your "Create New Licenses" tab. Here you can then select and generate this lic once again (with an updated version limit) and that is it then.

Please give this a go and let me know if you need any further assistance on this matter.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor tchayes
Visitor

Thank you, Anatoli--

My list of licenses includes several  that are permanent."  Is none an ISE license (one that includes PlanAhead)?  If it is an ISE license, then why would I want to 'renew' it?

One of these permanent licenses is labelled "V_webpack"   Is that not ISE?

Another is labelled "SDK."  I don't know what that is.

I'm puzzled, still.

Tom

0 Kudos

Hello @tchayes,

Please note that V_Webpack is a Vivado WebPACK license and not an ISE one. ISE and VIvado are 2 different tools.

PlanAhead is an ISE related tool and not Vivado. See https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/ise-design-suite.html for more details.

Therefore, please additionally obtain an ISE WebPACK license and this will include a "PlanAhead"  feature in it, as this is what you are missing right now.

Software Development kit (SDK) is an Embedded Development Kit related tool (i.e. EDK->consists of both Xilinx Platform Studio (XPS) and the Software Development kit (SDK)) and SDK is not related to PlanAhead. So, having an SDK feature (that comes with your Vivado WebPACK license) won't work for PlanAhead tool.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor tchayes
Visitor

Thanks again, Anatoli--

So, I gather that killing a V_Webpack license may make ISE license available under 'aqcuire a license'?  (I don't know why; but I'm happy to follow your advice.)

My immediate problem is that my 'manage licenses' page does not look like yours. There is no trash icon. See screen image, below.

Tom

no_delete_icon.jpg
0 Kudos

Hello @tchayes,

Have you managed to obtain an ISE WebPACK license at the end? Please note that this needs to be done from www.xilinx.com/getlicenses page and not via Xilinx Vivado License Manager.

I guess you've done this already and have now managed to obtain an ISE WebPACK license and all is OK now, however, can you confirm on this please?

If that is the case, and if you don't have any further questions regarding this matter, only if the issue is resolved now, please mark the response, that resolved your issue, as Accepted Solution (more info on this can be found here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/solutions#solutions), so that the topic can be completed then.

We appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos