UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer ashakil
Observer

SDSoC or Vivado

Jump to solution

Dear Sir

To start with SoC or even with FPGA I need answer to following questions please if possible:

1- which tools I need for FPGA devices and which tools I need to work with SoCs ?
2- Does Vivado come with SDK ?
3-  Is SDK and HLS same thing ?
4- Is SDx and SDSoC same thing?
5- Does SDSoC provide prebuilt platform for Xilinx devices?

I look forward to your answers.
Many thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: SDSoC or Vivado

Jump to solution

@ashakil

A good place to start your SoC adventure is to read Xilinx document UG1027 and maybe go through the SDSoC Environment Tutorial tutorial found <here>.

1.which tools I need for FPGA devices and which tools I need to work with SoCs ? 
Xilinx SoCs (eg. Zynq-7000) combine an ARM-based Processor System (PS) with the Programmable Logic (PL) of a traditional FPGA. Most of your SoC work can be done with the SDSoC tools, where you work as a “software programmer”. That is, you write code that calls either software functions or hardware functions – the hardware functions are implemented in the PL. However, if you want to develop your own hardware functions then you might have to leave your comfortable “software programmer” environment and learn about the FPGA hardware. When working with FPGA hardware, you will need the Xilinx Vivado Design Suite and you “should” learn a hardware descriptive language such as Verilog of VHDL. I say “should” because Xilinx also offers Vivado HLS that allows you to develop hardware functions using a C-like programming language.

2.Does Vivado come with SDK ?
The Vivado Design Suite is used to develop hardware functions. The Software Development Kit (SDK) is used to develop software functions. The Vivado Design Suite and the SDK can be downloaded and installed separately. However, when working with a Xilinx SoC, it is recommended that you install the SDx tool suite which includes the Vivado Design Suite and the SDK tools (UG1027, pg24).

3.Is SDK and HLS same thing ?
The SDK is used to develop software functions. Vivado HLS is used to develop hardware functions.

4.Is SDx and SDSoC same thing?
The SDx tool suite includes the SDSoc, the Vivado Design Suite, and the SDK.

5.Does SDSoC provide prebuilt platform for Xilinx devices?
The SDSoC environment provides predefined platforms for standard ZCU102, ZCU106, ZCU104, ZC706 and ZC702, Zynq®-based development boards (UG1027, pg7).

Cheers,
Mark

Tags (3)
4 Replies

Jump to solution

@ashakil

A good place to start your SoC adventure is to read Xilinx document UG1027 and maybe go through the SDSoC Environment Tutorial tutorial found <here>.

1.which tools I need for FPGA devices and which tools I need to work with SoCs ? 
Xilinx SoCs (eg. Zynq-7000) combine an ARM-based Processor System (PS) with the Programmable Logic (PL) of a traditional FPGA. Most of your SoC work can be done with the SDSoC tools, where you work as a “software programmer”. That is, you write code that calls either software functions or hardware functions – the hardware functions are implemented in the PL. However, if you want to develop your own hardware functions then you might have to leave your comfortable “software programmer” environment and learn about the FPGA hardware. When working with FPGA hardware, you will need the Xilinx Vivado Design Suite and you “should” learn a hardware descriptive language such as Verilog of VHDL. I say “should” because Xilinx also offers Vivado HLS that allows you to develop hardware functions using a C-like programming language.

2.Does Vivado come with SDK ?
The Vivado Design Suite is used to develop hardware functions. The Software Development Kit (SDK) is used to develop software functions. The Vivado Design Suite and the SDK can be downloaded and installed separately. However, when working with a Xilinx SoC, it is recommended that you install the SDx tool suite which includes the Vivado Design Suite and the SDK tools (UG1027, pg24).

3.Is SDK and HLS same thing ?
The SDK is used to develop software functions. Vivado HLS is used to develop hardware functions.

4.Is SDx and SDSoC same thing?
The SDx tool suite includes the SDSoc, the Vivado Design Suite, and the SDK.

5.Does SDSoC provide prebuilt platform for Xilinx devices?
The SDSoC environment provides predefined platforms for standard ZCU102, ZCU106, ZCU104, ZC706 and ZC702, Zynq®-based development boards (UG1027, pg7).

Cheers,
Mark

Tags (3)
Observer ashakil
Observer

Jump to solution
Many thanks.
A quicjk clerification:
Does SDSoC not design hardware at all and only works on predefined IPs.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@ashakil

When you install the SDx tools (aka the SDSoC Development Environment), you will get everything you need to work with the Xilinx SoC devices.  Included in the SDx tools are:

• Vivado Design Suite which allows you to develop hardware functions using either Verilog or VHDL. 
  • Vivado HLS that allows you to develop hardware functions with C-like code
  • SDK that allows you to develop software functions
  • lots of Xilinx IP (hardware and software functions that Xilinx has written for you)
  • a development environment that allows you to pull-together the hardware and software functions (and do everything else you need) to work with Xilinx SoC devices.

I know, all the acronyms get confusing.  

In short, I suggest that you:

• install SDx tools 
  • read UG1027
  • work through the tutorial that I mentioned

Mark

Observer ashakil
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank a lot Mark.

Your help is great. I really appreciate.

Take care.

0 Kudos