UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Site and World Wide IP License for ERNIC IP

I believed the Site License is restricted to within a 5 mile radius and the World wide is not.

But does this has to do with the Vivado IP design and development only and not where the FPGA is being use?

I’m developing the IP in the New jersey area but the FPGA design will be deliver to Washington which is outside the 5 mile radius,.Will the Site license work or do I need a World wide License?

Regard,

Tom

0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: Site and World Wide IP License for ERNIC IP

Hello @tchin123 ,

When developing your design, this is when you'd need to have a valid IP Core type of a license (Site, Project or Worldwide), with regards not to fail to abate any End User License Agreement (EULA) rules. Only when you are working/designing your design (i.e. generating your bitfile), this is crucial. Once bitstream is designed and generated and ready for production, it can then be distributed to outside the 5 mile radius. In all cases Distributable bitstream shall be distributed only for use to program a Xilinx Device/FPGA.

This and other info can be found in the EULA (attached). If needed, the unified EULA is also available under the .xinstall/Vivado_<version>/data directory (e.g. C:\Xilinx\.xinstall\Vivado_2019.1\data

If you search for "bitstream" and "Distribution Rights", there should be info regarding restrictions etc.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Thanks for your reply.

OK, if I have a site license and if my first license is installed at my company and I when I work at home with the same Site IP  license at my Home PC that is 7 mile away, how does the License know that I'm outside the 5-mile circle?

0 Kudos

Hello @tchin123 ,

In this case, the license will work even if you are further than 5 mile radius, however you are abating the End User License Agreement that you'd signed at the license generation stage. You would no longer be under the license agreement in this case. It is up to you to oblige or not with the license agreement.

In this situation, a Project or a Worldwide IP Core license is needed, and not a SITE one.

FYI - 

A "site license" is a license for a specific site. For example, if Xilinx had a site license for MicroBlaze, everyone at Xilinx within a five-mile radius would be under the license agreement (the "site license" is defined by a five-mile radius). 

There is also a “Project license” which only allows use of the core in a single project. A "project" is defined to be a single board that is programmed using multiple bitstreams containing the core, or multiple boards that are programmed by a single bitstream containing the core.

The above is explained in this Answer Record: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/45589.html

Whereas, a “Worldwide license” is NOT defined by a five-mile radius and it is not specific to a single project. If there are many other users around the world are working on parts of the same/different design, they are allowed to log in and generate and use this Worldwide license no matter where they are based in the world, without breaking EULA.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

If my IP core will be programmed into many board of the same type and the bitstream will change through many iteration of modification and update within my Company then would either Site or Project license work?

In term of pricing which one cost less and approximately by how much, 1x, 2x ?

I'm lookning at the ERNIC IP.

0 Kudos

Hello @tchin123 ,

You are better discussing this matter directly with the sales team, as they will know better the one to suit your requirements. 

Please view this page for more info regarding ordering this ERNIC IP Core license file:

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/ef-di-ernic.html

To purchase this IP core and for the exact pricing info, you'd need to contact your local Xilinx Sales Representative referencing the part number found on the product page, i.e. EF-DI-ERNIC-SITE, in this case. They can also indicated the price for EF-DI-ERNIC-PROJ and EF-DI-ERNIC-WW.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

I will do that.

But in my earlier example, would either Site or Project work for me

0 Kudos

Indeed, within the company in the same location, then SITE is OK.

However, if you have another office of the same company in another location/country, which is not withing the 5 mile radius, then in this case, for your situation PROJ type is needed, or WW. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Ok, from my understanding if I'm programming only one type of board or in xilinx definition, one "Project " then the Project Licnese might be the most flexible way to go since now I can work in my company or at home (outside 5-mile) .

But if I were to design my FPGA onto a different board then I  cannot use the Project License anymore, will this be accurate?

Curious.... in this case, the "Project License" can still be used for development but the "Project License"  agreement is violated, is this correct?

0 Kudos

Hello @tchin123 ,

As already indicated, a "project" is defined to be a single board that is programmed using multiple bitstreams containing the core, or multiple boards that are programmed by a single bitstream containing the core.

The above is explained in this Answer Record: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/45589.html

From here you can read this: https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/license/project-license-agreement.html

image.png

Therefore, if you have a design and the bitfile was generated with this ERNIC IP PROJ IP Core license, and if you are planning to program the same bitfile to some other boards, then this is under EULA.

Same applies if you have created more than one different designs/bitstreams where the bitfiles were generated with this ERNIC IP PROJ IP Core license, then you can program these into a single board without failing to abate EULA.

However, if you have different bistreams that were generated with this ERNIC IP PROJ IP Core license, these can't be programmed to different boards, as this is against the IP Core PROJ related End User License Agreement. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

This bitstream and programming to board is very confusing when related to a PROJ License.

The fact is, there will be many bitstreams that is created and is required to be programmed to many boards during my FPGA IP development.

All these different boards are used in my Project and new bitstream is constantly required when upgrade is needed in the future.

Will all these design scenerio be covered in the Project License.

Why is there so many restriction, What is Xilinx checking anyway

0 Kudos