cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

System Generator Doesn't Recognize Viterbi Evaluation Licenses!

Hi,

I am using Vivdao 2018.3 System Edition on Ubuntu 18.04 with Matlab 2017b. My licenses are all up-to-date and the tool chains have been working fine for some large-scale SysGen model development and simulation.

A couple days ago, I applied for the Viterbi evaluation license. The license manager sees the evaluation licenses, please see the attached first figure. However, the SysGen somehow still asks for a license even just for a rudimentary simulation!

I saw similar problems on the forums before, but it seems their problem mainly due to the license for the SysGen itself. But I don't think that's could be the problem here.

BTW, the evaluation license doesn't have to be assigned to the same email address as the rest of licenses, right?

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 10.00.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 9.57.38 AM.png
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: System Generator Doesn't Recognize Viterbi Evaluation Licenses!

Would you please go to command line and run the following command (provided Vivado environment is set)?

lmutil lmdiag viterbi -c <path>/<license file>.lic

Specify the license that contains the 'viterbi' feature. What does it return?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @pinowithsysgen ,

As your IP Core license is a Node-Locked license, open Vivado License Manager (VLM or XLCM) and set the XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE environment variable to specifically tell Vivado tools where to look for this license. If this is a Linux OS, you can set this env. variable in the terminal.

We have seen that when an user have this located in the home directory, even when XLCM/VLM sees that license, the ISE/Vivado tools will not be able to detect these licenses from the default user's home location. That is why setting the above environment variable to point to the location/folder (not to the lic file itself but to the folder where you keep all of your Node-Locked licenses in), that way Vivado/ISE tools will know where to look for these licenses.

Then try again and see if this helps. 

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Graces,

Thanks for the feedback. I setup the Vivdao 2018.3 environment by source the provides settings64.sh. I am using bash. However, the command lmutil cannot be located. I searched for it and it is under bin/unwrapped/lnx64.o/.

Should I run another script to add additional paths?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Anatoli,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I tried but it doesn't help. I use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. When I load the license files the very first time, all files are copied to the .Xlinx/ folder under the user home folder, such as /home/user/.Xilinx. The vlm is able to find the licenses there. 

What I did was to create another folder, /home/user/xilinx/, copy the license files to the new folder as well, and assign the path to this new folder to XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE. I did this by

XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE=/home/user/xilinx

export XILIMXD_LICENSE_FILE

Now, it turns out the vlm is able to find both sets of license files, i.e., /home/user/.Xilinx/ and /home/user/xilinx/. However, after using system to start Matlab/Simulink, it still asks for the license file for Viterbi 9.1.

BTW, the Sysgen Generator Viterbi block uses the Viterbi 9.1. If you look at the pictures I uploaded in my first post of this thread, v9.1 is not explicitly states, not like some old versions. I assume that it's covered by the first Viterbi license, which has no version number attached. If this is not the case, maybe I don't have the right license for this particular version of Viterbi core?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The command is supposed to be recognized.

Anyway, would you please try out with the full path to lmutil?

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @pinowithsysgen ,

'viterbi' feature is what needed here, _9.1 isn't required. Years ago, we use to have that requirement, however this is not the case for many many years. Therefore, we need to concentrate on the fact why Vivado tools can't detect this.

Can you please generate and send me your Xinfo report generated on the machine where you are seeing this error? Xinfo.txt can be generated by running the "report_environment –file xinfo.txt" command in Vivado TCL console.

We will be able to examine this log file and get back to you then.

FYI - For the lmutil command, you'd need to CD to the location such as e.g.: ../xilinx//Vivado/2019.2/bin/unwrapped/lnx64.o and then from here, you can then run this lmutil lmdiag viterbi command.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Anatoli,

Sorry for the late reply. Please see the attached xinfo.txt. I did a quick inspection of this file. To my surprise, some old license files show up there, which are no longer visible in vlm. I wonder if this has anything to do with my problem? How do I clean up the record of no longer used licenses?

I still couldn't run lmutil. The screen shot is attached. The file is there, but I still got "no such file or directory" error. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @pinowithsysgen ,

In relation to  "no such file or directory" error. 

Can you try the solutions provided in this similar Xilinx Forums thread:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/FlexLM-quot-No-such-file-or-directory-quot/m-p/688345

see if one of the below commands will help you to overcome this issue:

apt-get install lsb-core

or

sudo apt install lsb

In relation to your licensing issue, i can see you haven't set your XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE to point to the location of your Node-Locked licenses.

Please set XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE as followed:

XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE = /home/zrcao/xilinx/

Then re-open and rerun SysGen and see if this will help to overcome this issue.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Anatoli,

Thanks for the help. I am able to run lmutil. I'll attached its outputs in two different cases below, together with corresponding xinfo.txt. 

I was not sure how critical it is to set XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE before. Usually, I use vlm to load the licenses files, which copies license file to home/user/.Xilinx/ file. As I mentioned earlier, after setting XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE to home/user/xilinx/, vlm sees both sets of license files. The interesting thing about the lmutil output in this case is that it gives different interpretations for the same license file, but reside in different folders. I attached the lmutil output and xinfo.txt for this case below. They are lmutil-0625a.txt and info-0625a.txt.

Give the above observation, I deleted the license files under home/user/.Xilinx/. So only XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE points to the license files. The lmutil output and xinfo.txt are also attached, as lmutil-0625b.txt and info-0625b.txt.

Unfortunately, I still cannot use the viterbi block in SysGen. I noticed that the recognized viterbi license from lmutil has the following line:

TS_OK: Checkout permitted when client is using terminal client

I am wondering if this means SysGen cannot use the license, because it is not a terminal client?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @pinowithsysgen ,

Thanks for the info and the files. 

Based on this, i see no issues with your license installation and usage. All is inline as expected.

I believe i have seen this before: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Licensing-Error-with-Reed-Solomon-Encoder-Decoder-IP-in-System/m-p/1016722/highlight/false#M26966

See if you can try the same steps that may also help your situation?

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos