cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marksb
Visitor
Visitor

Tar.gz download files for Windows installation, really

I am new to Xilinx.  I am downloading Vivado for Windows install.  It is a tar.gz file.  Perhaps Xilinx is confused and thinks Windows is a Unix derivative.  Seriously, provide content in native formats for the OS. Not that hard. Then we don't have to install untrusted converter programs to ungz your files.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
siktap
Scholar
Scholar

@marksb In Vivado 2014.1, the file download format has been changed to .tar.gz to reduce the possibility of file corruption due to download glitches.You can find more information in the AR below.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60117.html

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
athandr
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

To add to this,7 zip can be used to extract these files in Windows safely if you have an additional question on which unzip sw should i use.
Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
marksb
Visitor
Visitor

7Z is a non-code signed GPL application.  This is not to say that it isn't a useful program.  SInce it becomes embedded in file manager operations, it isn't code signed, and does not have built-in detection for modification this makes it a very good target for viruses to attach themselves to be able to run at elevated privileges.  It is blocked in certain environments because of this.

We regualry use .zip downloads and transfers of zip files over 10GB in Windows environments.  We have found it to be quite a bit faster because it doesn't require the double decompression from a tar.gz to be useable.  We have not seen the reliabiity transfer issues to be any different using tar.gz vs .zip.  Most companies having large downloads use a download manager to handle the process anyway for pausing, continuing and transfer error recovery for very large downloads.

0 Kudos