UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie ckrieg

Unable to download any file with akamai download manager

Hello!

I unsuccessfully tried to download ISE Web Pack 12.2, but the akamai download manager exits with the message: "Download integrity is invalid". I tried several versions of ISE Web Pack, but none of the files could be downloaded due to the error mentioned above.

I tried the versions for Linux, Windows and all platforms.

It never worked, neither from Windows (using Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer), nor from Linux (using Mozilla Firefox).

Unfortunately, the akamai download manager isn't well documented, so research wasn't possible at this site.

So please, could anybody help me with this issue?

One suggestion for Xilinx: There is another wide-spread, well-known technology, which makes it easily possible to distribute large files over the internet. This technology is called BitTorrent. So, instead of relying on non-functional, closed-source java-applets for web browsers, could you consider to offer your ISE Web Pack over BitTorrent?

Thanks in Advance,

Christian

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Unable to download any file with akamai download manager

It's a pity you tried such a lot platforms and web browsers...

I wish you a good luck to download the files.

If using BitTorrent, it will be hard to trace the users. I saw BT is often used in online games distribution, but seldom in enterprise software distribution. There may be some concerns.

Maybe you can call your distributor to send you a DVD copy if all methods fails.

0 Kudos
Newbie ckrieg

Hi unicorn, thank you for your reply!

Well, BT could be used to share all types of files, so why not for distributing enterprise software...

To my original problem, I have to say, that it turned out to be a network problem. While trying to download from the corporate network failed, I was able to download the file in my private network.

It's a pity that the download manager doesn't throw a more meaningful error message...

Cheers,

Christian

0 Kudos
Visitor thatwackyguy
Visitor

Christian,

You're not the only one with troubles when using this download manager. A Xilinx competitor also uses this and I can't get that one to work consistantly either; however, they supply a link to bypass the download manager so I can least get the software. I haven't been able to find such a link for the Xilinx software.

I have turned off my local firewall to no effect and I have no way of doing anything with our corporate firewall so I can't do any further testing in that regard. I don't have any other network to fall back on.

Paul

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Forget BitTorrent. Just have an ftp site with sufficient bandwidth available!

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos

I agree, that Akamai nightmare is brutal. Seriously, why would a company like Xilinx mikey mouse with crap like that??

This really angers a lot of us. Lever is looking good these days.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@atomiczombie wrote:

I agree, that Akamai nightmare is brutal. Seriously, why would a company like Xilinx mikey mouse with crap like that??

This really angers a lot of us. Lever is looking good these days.

Akamai provides the servers and the bandwidth so Xilinx doesn't have to deal with it.

Perhaps they should pay Akamai more money, to get better quality-of-service?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hey All,

We have found that a high percentage of folks are able to use the Akamai Download Manager, issues are definitely in the minority. We do understand the frustration and have devised a backup flow though due to regulations on our software, we have to know who is downloading the tools and therefore BT won't work and an open FTP won't either. 

*Plus, do you really want us to put files on BT.  Anyone could modify this file, add a virus and redistribute it.

We had originally had our software with the ability to disable the DL manager but notice an unacceptable number of uncaught corruption where the default browser DL manager would claim the download was successful but the installer would not run and the checksums did not match.

Solution, contact Xilinx Technical Support (http://www.xilinx.com/support/clearexpress/websupport.htm) and request for another way to get the tools and give us details on what you have tried.  We will then work with you on getting the files.

Also, note that you can order a DVD of the latest version of the software from the WebSite.  Under the version tab, there is a link to "Order DVD".

Please do continue to let us know if you have issues with the Download Manager so that we can obtain an accurate number of failures.

Mike Nguyen
Xilinx Applications Engineer
Technical Support: http://www.xilinx.com/support
Xilinx User Community: http://forums.xilinx.com

0 Kudos
Observer sirt
Observer

It's true that the download works often. I did use the ISE on three different institutions and now only with the third,I have that download issue.

And also true, you can open a webcase to get techicians help...but first of all you have to open a request to get access to opening a webcase. This already takes at least a day (from what the mail sais). Then you have to wait for the webcase to be processed. And then the only option might be to get a DVD sent, which I don't want to know much time to need..

What do you guys expect? That everybody is happy not having to do work and enjoying the free time while waiting in front of the screen?

Of course I can understand your issues with things like Bit Torrent, etc, but you should definately invest more money on more robust downloads. If a third of your customers are already disappointed before even using the software, this will ultimately bring a very bad reputation on Xilinx(and there are many others that are dissapointed after or while using it..). Even if the percentage is lower, bad things about software stick to our mind harder than the good things...and downloading a software is (and should) nowadays be considered as an easy task. A developer who already fails in this task should really overthink their policy.

So my request...put in some more effort and/or money and make the download of the design tools easier and robust for everybody, otherwise you will finally loose a lot of your customers

Newbie godboutm

You guys really need to get your act together. I am getting real frustrated at the lack of quality in every part of my download misadventure.

After receiving our ChipScope hardware, I am trying to download the software. When I hit the download link I get two different results depending on which browser I use, and neither work. Using Firefox, I get to the Download Manager window and try to start the process. But I constantly get “Download integrity is invalid” as soon as it leaves the Initialization status. I can try to resume, restart, whatever, and the same occurs.

With Internet Explorer, I don’t get that far. I’ve enable pop-ups and set both Xilinx.com and entitlenow.com as trusted sites. But it never gets to the Download Manager. I just get the “About the Download Manager” page and that’s it.

So next, I try to contact Support. I get a WebCase account and it gets approved. But now I try to go to WebCase and it says “You are not currently logged into an active session. Please log in through the Portal”, with a “Go to Portal” button. OK, fine, let’s go to Portal. Except hitting that button just gets me back to the same page.

So I’m emailing the webmaster  and posting here in the hopes that someone can forward this to someone who can help me download software for a tool I’ve paid for.

As a backup, I’ve ordered the DVD, but that will take weeks.

Alternatively, would you have a link that goes directly to the tar file? It’s called Xilinx_ISE_DS_Win_12.3_M.70d.1.0.tar

0 Kudos

Email me at robn@xilinx.com with your Personal ID number if you have it, or your first/last name. I will create a case, and then will therefore be able to get you the download link directly while our web team looks at the site

0 Kudos

BTW:

Doesn't the whole Bittorrent Network rely on very large hash-numbers, probably from a well-known, not compromised hash algorithm ?

If so, Xilinx could provide the Torrent-File on their homepage (after Log-In, of course), and no one could inject a virus, since an infected file would have the wrong hash and not be downloaded.

Another way would be a short-living link with a UUID, like it's done with large Video-Files on these TV-recording platforms.

Of course, link is also provided only after successful login into Xilinx Website.

There are of course lot's of other ways to make standard download-managers work without stealing Xilinx the opportunity to track usage of their software.

0 Kudos
Newbie phuocly

I have the same problem since Xilinx forced customers to use the troublesome Download Manager. Open cases with Xilinx few times. They blamed that our proxy server blaocking the download but did not know what need to be allowed for the download manager to work. I found a work around, simply disable Java from the Firefox browser will let you download w/o using the download manager.
0 Kudos
Newbie thansen

Turning off Java in Firefox does work. It will just send the tar file down. However when Java is off the download tool listing a selection system does not work.
0 Kudos
Newbie cllarsen

I don't get the security concerns.  If I'm requesting a licence it pretty much means I'll be using your software.  How about just giving us a direct link?

PS the download manager doesn't work for me and I'd almost guarantee it's proxy related.

0 Kudos
Newbie bdpayton

Your solution helped me bypass their problematic downloader. Thanks!
0 Kudos