UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Unable to get license for synthesis

Jump to solution

Hi folks,

I have to do simple maintenance work on an old design. That design was completed using Vivado 2013.4 running on Win7 x64. My computer was upgraded since then (ie both the PC and the OS). It is now Win10 x64 and running the latest Vivado versions.

I had a Win7 machine built up and installed 2013.4. However, I've been able to run the tcl scripts and generate the Vivado project. However, I'm unable to run synthesis. Vivado is unable to get a license.

If I remember well, the Vivado license manager was upgraded a few years ago. Is it possible that the old 2014.4 software is unable to get license from the latest license server?

Any idea on how to make the Win7 / 2013.4 version of tthe tool work again?

Cheers,

Claude

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

回复: Unable to get license for synthesis

Jump to solution

OK. Finally, it was an IT issue. They killed and restarted the license server (ie the latest version) and 2013.4 is now working fine.

Case close! Thanks to everyone who provided assistance.

Claude

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @chevalier ,

Please refer to this https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33770.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Vivado 2017.3 and later versions require upgrading your license server tools to the Flex 11.14.1 versions. Do you know what your license server tool version is?

If you open Viado License Manager from the Win7 client machine, what licensing features are shown up?

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hello Grace @graces ,

To answer your questions:

1. Our license server tool is indeed Flex 11.14.1 as shown below. Is this version OK for Vivado 2013.4?

ServerVersion.pngServer Info
  2. Licensing features showing up on the Vivado License Manager from the Win7 client machine shown in the screenshots below.

ClientLM1.pngWin7 Client LM Info 1ClientLM2.pngWin7 Client LM Info 2ClientLM3.pngWin7 Client LM Info 3ClientLM4.pngWin7 Client LM Info 4ClientLM5.pngWin7 Client LM Info 5ClientLM6.pngWin7 Client LM Info 6

Is 2013.4 able to work with the latest license server or do we need to re-install the old license server?

Thanks for helping!

Claude

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@graces@yangc ,

Did one of you have a chance to look at all the licensing stuff I posted?

Do we need to re-install the old (pre 2017.3) license server in order to run 2013.4?

Can we have both the old and latest license server running at the same time?

How to make 2013.4 back to life?

Thanks,

Claude

0 Kudos
Participant sarman_1998
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @chevalier ,

I don't see any TOOL license in the screen shots you posted, only IP licenses.  

I suggest you confirm that the tool licenses are actually being served by the license server.   As you said, it could be related to the newer license server version, hopefully someone else can answer that part of the question.

Eric

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hi @sarman_1998,

I agree. The license manager isn't listing any TOOL license. But that's all I have. I even unchecked the the "Hide Built-In Free Licenses" checkbox. If I check it, I end-up with an empty list.

When I run the latest License Manager (2018.1 is the latest I have), it's the same. I don't have any tool license listed/reported. But everything is working fine. Designs are synthesizing and implementing just fine.

Thanks for helping! :-) 

Claude

0 Kudos
Participant sarman_1998
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @chevalier ,

When you say designs are working fine with 2018.1, are you building for a webpack part? Maybe the part you are building for is now a webpack part but it wasn't in 2013.4?? Webpack licenses are free so they may not be coming from your license server.  

What xilinx part are you building for?

These are just guesses on my part.  Hopefully, someone from Xilinx will chime in with better answers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

OK. Finally, it was an IT issue. They killed and restarted the license server (ie the latest version) and 2013.4 is now working fine.

Case close! Thanks to everyone who provided assistance.

Claude

View solution in original post