UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Unable to load license rights into trusted storage

Re: Unable to load license rights into trusted storage

Anyone here had sucess working around this problem?

Bought a Nexys4 board to learn VHDL and cant get it running because of this licencing stuff... I am running Vmware on a Mac by the way...

Xilinx Employee

Hi,

As mentioned in my earlier post, contact Xilinx Sales or Distributors related to this issue since you are using VM.

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Xilinx Employee

To add to Vinay's suggestions...

Currently the Xilinx activation license generator is not able to support virtual machines. And will give the following error if an attempt is made to generate a license for a VM.

Error: API function 60009 failed, result 51412

There is a change request (CR#772376) associated with this issue and tentative plan is to fix this in Vivado 2014.3 release.

Until activation licensing is available for virtual machines, if the use of a virtual machine is required to serve a floating license, contact Xilinx Sales or Distributors to request that your license entitlement be changed from Activation to Certificate based licensing.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.

How can we return an activation license that was never generated so the license can be transfered to a new host? I recived the "Error: API function 60009 failed, result 51412" error on my VM and would now like to move the licesen to another host. Can I create a return request even though the license never installed into trusted storage?  

Xilinx Employee

Hi,

You cannot return the license that was not installed into trusted storage.

From the error message, I can say that you are using VM. VMs are not supported. See Vijay's post for more information.

Thanks,

Vinay

Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Visitor

The reasons to run Xilinx tools in a VM are many and varied, but chief among them has to be the flakiness of Xilinx install scripts on non-supported Linux systems. RHEL is still the only officially supported Linux platform. I run Xubuntu and Fedora development kernels here for other reasons.

Whatever else it may be, Windows is still the gold standard for installation scripts and USB drivers, and not just for Xilinx tools. Everything just works, from the user perspective. The problem with Windows is you still need a Linux-like facility to build the embedded Linux kernel and boot images. Cygwin and MinGW on Windows are far inferior to Linux in a VM.

I presume the issue here is the security concerns that a virtualized NIC can make for the licensing system. It needs to be pointed out here that there are equally simple ways to assign an arbitrary EUI-48 to an interface without a VM. 

Please, I'm trying to bring up a WebPack installation to teach my son about embedded systems on a small Zynq board. Can't an exception be made in the elegantly simple machine identity check be made for the free licenses? 

Explorer

This is amazing.  What Xilinx seems to be saying is that a company must buy a separate server JUST TO HOST THEIR license!  

This needs to be fixed ASAP.  Almost every person on the planet wouldn't waste the money or resources to move their license server from a VM to bare-metal?

Visitor

I just loaded 2014.3 on my Windows 7 running under VMWare Fusion on a Mac and I have the exact same problem mentioned by the above authors regarding activation licensing.  Yikes!  I need Vivado HLS to work for as I'm reading through those sections in the Zynq book...

Thanks for this helpful support thread. 

Has there been any update on VMWare support?

I am trying to get the SDK to work under a VMWare VM on a Mac, and I am runing into the same issues.

Are there any further workarounds? Following some of the articles here, it seems like we should contact Xilinx to get switched to certificate based license if understood correctly? Is there anyway to this by ourselves?

Thanks.

Regards,

Hugo.

Visitor

I am having problems with the SDK not working (but Vivado is) with 2014.4 and Win7 32bit in a VMWare Fusion 7.1.0 VM.