UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer stew.hansen
Observer

Update or change version of JAVA

Jump to solution

Our security office has scanned multiple computers and has found the version(s) of JAVA used by vivado as being a security threat.

Can the version of JAVA be updated or downgraded for Vivado?

We are currently running version 2017.4 through 2019.1. There are older versions but these are current concern at this time.

It appears the version that security is happy with are 7.0.221, 8.0.211, 11.0.3, and 12.0.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Update or change version of JAVA

Jump to solution

@stew.hansen , to add one to what i've already shared, as you can see, Vivado will look for the Java version from within its own installer, so any outside updates to Java will have no impact on what version is used within the Vivado install.

And indeed, if there were any Java updates, Xilinx newer tools would be built and tested on this particualr newer version of Java. However, Xilinx will not apply this to our older versions of Vivado tools, as all these versions were built and tested with a particular Java version (from within its own installer e.g. /Xilinx/Vivado/2018.x/tps/lin/jre/).

That is the reason why your corporate security now finds some machines that have an unsupported/EOL version of Java installed and like in your case, will require to replace this/these.

However, in my opinion, even if there is any switch available to 'force' a particular Vivado release (e.g. 2017.4) to use e.g. Windows latest native Java version instead of the one that comes with a particular Vivado release, i don't even think Vivado will work then as expected, as all these versions were built and tested with a particular Java version from within its own installer. 

Anyhow, i've also contacted some other experts to see what their opinion regarding this is. If i hear anything back from them regarding this mater, i will let you know then.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello @stew.hansen ,

A similar issue/question regarding Java was asked in this forum topic:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Java-not-supported/m-p/920533

Please read and see if the info provided can answer your query too?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@stew.hansen , to add one to what i've already shared, as you can see, Vivado will look for the Java version from within its own installer, so any outside updates to Java will have no impact on what version is used within the Vivado install.

And indeed, if there were any Java updates, Xilinx newer tools would be built and tested on this particualr newer version of Java. However, Xilinx will not apply this to our older versions of Vivado tools, as all these versions were built and tested with a particular Java version (from within its own installer e.g. /Xilinx/Vivado/2018.x/tps/lin/jre/).

That is the reason why your corporate security now finds some machines that have an unsupported/EOL version of Java installed and like in your case, will require to replace this/these.

However, in my opinion, even if there is any switch available to 'force' a particular Vivado release (e.g. 2017.4) to use e.g. Windows latest native Java version instead of the one that comes with a particular Vivado release, i don't even think Vivado will work then as expected, as all these versions were built and tested with a particular Java version from within its own installer. 

Anyhow, i've also contacted some other experts to see what their opinion regarding this is. If i hear anything back from them regarding this mater, i will let you know then.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Observer stew.hansen
Observer

Jump to solution
Thanks for getting back. I will wait to see if there is anything else from the said experts to see if they have any input.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @stew.hansen ,

Just as an update, our development team has confirmed that since Vivado uses the Java version in its own installation, even the new Xilinx release may adopt the newer Java version, the older version of Vivado will still use its original Java version. 
Due to this, your IT are seeing the version(s) of JAVA used by older versions of  Vivado as being a security threat.

There is a possible way to force Vivado GUI to use e.g. 64bit Windows native version of Java instead of the version that comes with a Vivado release, however the tools won’t work then as expected, as all these versions were built and tested with a particular Java version from within its own installer (e.g. /Xilinx/Vivado/2018.x/tps/lin/jre/).

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Jump to solution

Is there an upcoming version of Vivado that will use a supported version of JRE from Oracle?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello esorensen@lanl.gov ,

From Vivado 2018.3 onwards, Vivado uses and comes with Java version 9. Vivado will look for the Java version from within its own installer (e.g. /Xilinx/Vivado/2019.x/tps/lin/jre/). Java SE 9, Oracle's latest release, which is a supported version of Java.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Jump to solution

Your statement "Java SE 9, Oracle's latest release, which is a supported version of Java." confuses me since https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html shows version 9 as non-LTS and that support ended March of 2018.  This still doesn't help since our IT folks say 9.0.4 is unsupported and blocks my computer from the network.

0 Kudos