Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andreac_avnet
Explorer
Explorer

Use of Vivado licenses

Jump to solution

Hello,
I have a question regarding the use of Vivado licenses in the latest versions of the tool.

In the past, until version 2018.2, I was able to open Vivado and need the license to perform synthesis and implementation.
In this way more people keep the tool open, but few run the synthesis.
In general, we were able to use Vivado satisfactorily with the number of licenses we had.

Currently, from version 2019.1 onwards, there seems to be a much tighter version in the use of Vivado than previous versions.
If a couple of people have Vivado 2020 open (only open, no synthesis in progress!), No more instances can be launched.
If we try to launch Vivado 2018.2, however, it opens without problems.

I did not understand if the license management by the tool has changed and if it now requires the license also to simply keep it open.
Can you confirm if this is the case or not?

I would need to understand if there is something that is not working as expected...

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Andrea

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
florentw

Hi @andreac_avnet 

No this is not the case. 2020.x should behave like 2018.2. You can open Vivado without a license.

Only synthesis/implementation/bitstream generation will fail if you do not have the correct license.

I tried on my machine with 2020.2 with no license. I can open a KC705 project. If I run synthesis then it fails

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

1 Reply
florentw

Hi @andreac_avnet 

No this is not the case. 2020.x should behave like 2018.2. You can open Vivado without a license.

Only synthesis/implementation/bitstream generation will fail if you do not have the correct license.

I tried on my machine with 2020.2 with no license. I can open a KC705 project. If I run synthesis then it fails

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post