UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Vivado 2017.1 Java problems on Ubuntu 16.04

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

Vivado 2017.1 Java problems on Ubuntu 16.04

Hello,

I'm using Vivado 2017.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 x64 and I'm having problems with java when starting basic user interfaces.

The easisest case to reproduce is when I try to start a simulation, even if the project is extremely simple I always get the same error. An exception is detected that always ends with the same "missing method". Showing here the last lines of the details:

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82) Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Generated message class "ui.data.simulation.executive.protobuf.RSDHierarchy$RSDNode" missing method "getNameBytes". at com.google.protobuf.GeneratedMessage.getMethodOrDie(GeneratedMessage.java:1971) at com.google.protobuf.GeneratedMessage.access$1100(GeneratedMessage.java:61) at com.google.protobuf.GeneratedMessage$FieldAccessorTable$SingularStringFieldAccessor.<init>(GeneratedMessage.java:2860) at com.google.protobuf.GeneratedMessage$FieldAccessorTable.ensureFieldAccessorsInitialized(GeneratedMessage.java:2108) at com.google.protobuf.GeneratedMessage$FieldAccessorTable.<init>(GeneratedMessage.java:2039) at ui.data.simulation.executive.protobuf.RSDHierarchy$1.assignDescriptors(SourceFile:5699) at com.google.protobuf.Descriptors$FileDescriptor.internalBuildGeneratedFileFrom(Descriptors.java:355) at ui.data.simulation.executive.protobuf.RSDHierarchy.<clinit>(SourceFile:5739) ... 93 more Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: ui.data.simulation.executive.protobuf.RSDHierarchy$RSDNode.getNameBytes() at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Class.java:1786) at com.google.protobuf.GeneratedMessage.getMethodOrDie(GeneratedMessage.java:1968) ... 100 more

There are other cases in which I get java exceptions when starting other "user interfaces", like when I try to start the Constraints Wizard, but I guess all these issues may be related and should be caused by the same configuration/istallation issue.

I just have this java version in my system:

sudo update-alternatives --config java
There is only one alternative in link group java (providing /usr/bin/java): /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java

Does anyone know why this could be happening?

Thanks in advance,

Xavier

Accepted Solutions
Voyager

Re: Vivado 2017.1 Java problems on Ubuntu 16.04

@xreves  Looks like a common protobuf issue that comes up on 2017.1 (resolved on 2017.2 btw)

Check if this solves your problem:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69088.html

- Always give kudos to Xilinx employees. Seriously.
* H Bucher, Baremetal Labs, Extreme Financial Engineering: btlabs.us

View solution in original post

All Replies
Voyager

@xreves  Looks like a common protobuf issue that comes up on 2017.1 (resolved on 2017.2 btw)

Check if this solves your problem:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69088.html

- Always give kudos to Xilinx employees. Seriously.
* H Bucher, Baremetal Labs, Extreme Financial Engineering: btlabs.us
Visitor

Hi hbucher,

The proposed solution works fine. I've tried with all the failures I had seen so far and now everything works as expected.

Thanks!

Xavier