cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giraffa_ubriaca
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado 2018.3 Final Processing hangs at 'Generating installed device list' on Ubuntu 19.04

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, it's been a week I am trying to install the Vivado HLx Webpack on my Ubuntu 19.04. It hangs at 'Final Processing', after the installation, with the writing 'Generating installed device list'. I've largely searched the web for solutions: I've added missing libraries, tried to install it from the web installer and from the 19GB-sized installer with no succes. Please help me! Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
giraffa_ubriaca
Visitor
Visitor
18 Replies
anatoli

Hello @giraffa_ubriaca ,

We have seen other users with a similar issue in the past, where for some reason, the post install processes for “Generating installed device list” has failed for them and preventing the installer from finishing the installation.

If that is the case, it preferable to kill the hanging process to let the installation finish, and then re-run the ‘Generate device file list’ task after the installation has completed.

This and other info can be found in this Answer Record: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60118.html

You can also look into this AR for running post install steps manually: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60111.html

To manually Generate a device file list on Linux, you can do this by opening a terminal and running this command:

<installRoot>/Vivado/2018.3/bin/vivado -nolog -nojournal -mode batch -source <installRoot>/.xinstall/Vivado_2018.3/scripts/xlpartinfo.tcl -tclargs <installRoot>/Vivado/2018.3/data/parts/installed_devices.txt

On Windows, it looks like this:

C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2018.3\bin\vivado.bat -nolog -nojournal -mode batch -source C:\Xilinx\.xinstall\Vivado_2018.3\scripts\xlpartinfo.tcl -tclargs C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2018.3\data\parts\installed_devices.txt

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
giraffa_ubriaca
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @anatoli , thanks so much for the help. Now the issues are: How can I kill the hanging process and let the installation finish? My log file is in a directory I cannot access, what do I do?

Plus, when I try to generate the lists with the command

<installRoot>/Vivado/2018.3/bin/vivado -nolog -nojournal -mode batch -source <installRoot>/.xinstall/Vivado_2018.3/scripts/xlpartinfo.tcl -tclargs <installRoot>/Vivado/2018.3/data/parts/installed_devices.txt

I find that I don't have the '.xinstall' directory nor the 'installed_devices.txt' file. But when I run the command it says: "application-specific initialization failed: couldn't load file "librdi_commontasks.so": libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" and I enter a shell with '%' as prompt.

anatoli

Hello @giraffa_ubriaca ,

See if the solution provided in the last reply of this forum thread would help you also to overcome this issue?

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Installing-Vivado-2018-3-on-Fedora-28/m-p/926295/highlight/false#M24478

Running this below command seems to help some other user in the past with the same issue:

sudo dnf install ncurses-compat-libs

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

giraffa_ubriaca
Visitor
Visitor
Hi @anatoli, it seems that I can't find the package 'ncurses-compat-libs'. I don't know if this is relevant, but I have the libncurses5 at the latest version. Please take a look again at my last reply, I've edited it. Thanks again.
giraffa_ubriaca
Visitor
Visitor
akirabha

Hi!

Im experiencing the same problem on Ubuntu 19.10 and the link to the step-by-step solution appears to have vanished (404 error)  

Can someone please supply a new set of instructions?

0 Kudos
m-herrera
Visitor
Visitor

I've come across the same issue while installing Vivado 2018.3 on Ubuntu 20.04, setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable before running the installer, as stated in this answer, worked for me.

Although this is marked as solved I thought it could be helpful for someone else since the link to the solution didn't work for me.

metty
Observer
Observer

So you did?:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/inst_path/Vivado/2018.3/lnx64/tools/clang-3.9/lib
sudo ./Xilinx_Vivado_SDK_Web_2018.3_1207_2324_Lin64.bin

same problem here with ubuntu 20.04, but no solution so far..

0 Kudos
nirusj
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/lib/lnx64.o/SuSE:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/lib/lnx64.o/SuSE
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/lib/lnx64.o:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/bin/vivado -nolog -nojournal -mode batch -source /tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/scripts/sysgen/tcl/xlpartinfo.tcl -tclargs /tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/data/parts/installed_devices.txt
0 Kudos
iordanouk
Observer
Observer

Hi @metty ,

I tried many times and finally I made it work.

My system is ubuntu 20.04 and I was trying to install SDx 2018.3.

Take a look to your verbose log file. That will give you a clear view.

In my system the problem was with the library libtinfo5.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Kostas.

bhaskartak89
My system is also ubuntu 20.04. Can you please elaborate what you did. How to open verbose log file and how to get to know the problem.
Thank You
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wupperichi

Close the installation with option to restart from same folder.

Install the following libraries:
sudo apt intall libtinfo5
sudo apt intall libncurses5

Re-launch the installation

coder212
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, the link you provided doesn't work anymore.

Im trying to install Vivado 2018.2 and facing the installation hanging at generating installed devices. (Windows 10)

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @coder212 ,

The link you've mentioned work for me if you change the URL from '-2018.3-' to '-2018-3-' (so instead of a dot, have this as a dash instead), however this is related to Linux OS where some necessary libraries are missing on the machine:

https://blog.lazy-evaluation.net/posts/linux/vivado-2018-3-buster.html

In your case, if this is a Windows OS , please view your xinstall.log file to see an actual reason why the installation got stuck at the 'Generating installed device list' and why the installation can't proceed any further:

Log file location:

Linux:                          ~/.Xilinx/xinstall/xinstall_123456789.log file

Windows:                  C:\Users\<user_name>\.Xilinx\xinstall\xinstall_123456789.log file

I would suggest opening a new topic and share the xinstall.log file for examination.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
coder212
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

I cannot find the xinstall.log.  My .xinstall folder contains 3 folders named DocNav, Vivado_2018.2, xic. Inside the Vivado_2018.2 I only have the bin folder and it contains xsetup.bat and _xinstallerCleanup.exe

0 Kudos
boxerab
Observer
Observer

This should be the accepted answer, mods

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @coder212 ,

My bad, the log file location on Windows is the location such as this: C:\Users\<user_name>\.Xilinx\xinstall\xinstall_123456789.log file

I've corrected this in the previous post.

Please check this location and share this with us, for examination. Thanks

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
coder212
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I was unable to find the log file in the given location however, I deleted everything and reinstalled from scratch. Finally it worked !!!