cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Vivado 2020.3 Versal only

I keep getting on line reminders from  the xilinx tools every time I log on to "upgrade" to the latest vivado 2020.3

Yet when I go to the download site I read

drjohnsmith_0-1621681503866.png

Strange things here,

A full point release is normally for all devices, a sub point is for a restricted updated family.

Does this imply that Xilinx are aiming to not support the older ranges in updated Vivaod?

Why was this not a sub point release, 2020.24   or something, like ?

all very strange , not the normal release cycle we have seen over the last ten years 

are changes afoot ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
2 Replies
watari
Professor
Professor

Hi @drjohnsmith 

Here is my opinion. And I don't know whether this is correct or not.

> Why was this not a sub point release, 2020.24   or something, like ?

>   all very strange , not the normal release cycle we have seen over the last ten years 

>     are changes afoot ?

I guess device architecture between Versal and other devices from 7 Series to US/US+ is different.

Especially harden bus architecture which is called as NoC is specific feature in Versal.

And traditional Vivado, in this case before Vivado 2020.2, doesn't seem to fully support implementation procedure. It means that traditional Vivado doesn't have fully capability to use NoC performance.

So, I guess that Xilinx releases Vivado 2020.3 for only Versal to improve implementation performance.

Note

Do you remember unveiled 1st Vivado ?

It's similar with this situation.

Best regards,

duthv
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi, 

Like most software companies the way we do our release naming comes from which branch the build comes from.

2020.3 came from our HEAD branch and that is why it does not have a number like 2020.2.3. From HEAD it has a full release name like 2020.3..

We did not call it 2021.1, as this work was done in 2020 timeframe even though the release came out in CY2021.

When we do our update releases they come from the previous release and so it is more like 2020.2.1, 2020.2.2, etc

The naming is coming from our build environment and has little to do with anything else and in general we are striving to avoid these sort of interim released from HEAD in the future and line up to 2021.1, 2021.2, 2022.1, 2022.2, etc.. With their respective update releases..

Thanks

Duth