cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado License Renewal

Last year I purchased two Vivado system edition floating licenses.  (Part # EF-VIVADO-SYSTEM-FL) Lately  I've been getting emails from Xilinx telling me that my design tool license subscription is expiring. Fine. So I contacted our Avnet rep and she told me that there's no "maintenance" renewal option, that I have to purchase an entirely new license at a cost that is almost exactly what we paid for the original license. This seems so absurd that I suspect she is wrong.

Does anyone have correct information regarding the renewal of Vivado design tool licenses?

Thanks,

Andrew 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Advisor
Advisor

She's correct. Last year you purchased a license for Vivado 2015.3 to Vivado 2016.2 (ie four versions). What is often poorly explained is that your existing license does not "expire" - you can keep using Vivado 2016.2 for the next fifty years without paying anything extra. You just can't upgrade to newer versions of Vivado because the existing license only covers up to 2016.2.

What you're buying now is an entirely new license for Vivado 2016.3 to 2017.2 (although it's also backward-compatible, so you can use Vivado 2016.2 on the new license). This is not an upgrade to the existing license, it's a whole new license. You can continue using Vivado 2016.2 (using the old license) and also use 2016.3 (using the new license) simultaneously.

I'd be inclined to skip the upgrade for now. Check the release notes for each new version of Vivado, and when something interesting turns up then think about paying for the new licenses. Maybe even grab the WebPACK (free, device-limited) license of new Vivado versions and give them a shot with some lower-end hardware (eg. a cheap Artix or Zynq devkit).

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

A Xilinx Software license contains both an "expiration date" and a "version limit date."
The expiration date indicates the day after which the license software componentis nolonger enabled to run. In many cases, the expiration date is set to "permanent" which allows a particular version of the software to be run indefinitely.
The version limit date indicates the month when the support contract expires. The support contract entitles a user to update the software with any version of that software released on, or before, the version limit month. If you attempt to run a version of the software released after the version limit, the license does not enable this version to run.For more information, see (Xilinx Answer 33770).

Behavior for ISE Design Suite 11.1 through11.2
All tools display license expiration information incorrectly.No differentiation is made between the end of acontract (current version of Xilinx tools continue to function) and theexpiration of a license(after which the Xilinx tools do NOT continue to function).

Behavior for ISE Design Suite 11.3 and later
Xilinx Project Navigator and all implementation tools were fixed to correctly differentiate between the end of acontract (version limit)and theexpiration of a license.
Xilinx EDK and SDK do notdifferentiate between the end of acontract (version limit)and theexpiration of a license.
If you are not sure about the cause of one of these messages issued from EDK or SDK, you can run the Xilinx LicenseConfiguration Manager (xlcm) to confirm thelicense status.
You can use evaluation version as alternate option

check these links
https://www.xilinx.com/tools/faq.htm
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60522.html
http://www.xilinx.com/support/licensing_solution_center.html
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@andrew57jm I would like to know if you have any further questions on this issue
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

@andrew57jm,

She is correct.

But expiring just means you won't be able to upgrade to a newer version released after the version limit.

Version limit is basically a number, one year from your purchase month. For example, if you bought a license in Sept 2015, it will have version limit of Sept 2016 i.e. 2016.09. 

But you will be able to use your license in the current software permanently and can upgrade to any version that is released before the version limit i.e. before Sept 2016.

Refer this AR for details:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33770.html

Thanks,
Nupur
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos