UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Vivado hangs forever with white window during startup (Linux)

Accepted Solution Solved
Visitor
Accepted Solution

Vivado hangs forever with white window during startup (Linux)

First of all, I am running this on Debian Jessie (testing).  I want to get that out of the way, because I know one of the first replies will be "use a supported distribution."  Unfortunately, I use this computer for many things besides FPGA development really can't justify a dedicated workstation just for Vivado.

So, earlier this year I had installed and used 2014.1 on the same machine without problems.  After a gap of a few months, I tried launching this [previously working] installation, and after the Vivado splash screen, it opens the main GUI window, but nothing is drawn in the window---it just stays white.  It remains stuck like that forever, with zero CPU usage.

I hadn't done any real work yet, so I blew away that install and tried installing 2014.2.  I get the exact same symptoms when running the 80MB installer bin---Vivado splash screen appears, the big GUI window opens, and then it just sits there.  There are no obvious errors in the installer log; the last messages are

2014-06-19 20:31:15,196 DEBUG: j.k:? - Successfully downloaded http://www.xilinx.com/direct/swhelp/installClientInfo.dat. Downloaded 364 bytes, elapsedTime: 0:0:0:0
2014-06-19 20:31:15,196 INFO : j.b:? - Internet connection validated, can connect to internet.
2014-06-19 20:31:15,196 DEBUG: j.b:? - Loading install client info from: /tmp/TMP_LD_LIB_PATH2014-06-19-20-31-10-1403235070/1403235074154/installClientInfo.dat

So, what changed during those last three months:

--regular updates (the system was already on Jessie/testing)

--installed Eclipse, which pulled in the Debian-provided java

--got rid of GNOME and went back to basic X + window manager setup

I am wondering if java could be the problem?  When I installed Eclipse, I probably got the java provided by the Debian packages.  Running java -version shows this:

java version "1.7.0_51"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.5) (7u51-2.4.5-2)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

I don't know if I had java when I installed Vivado 2014.1.  If the Vivado installer doesn't find java on the system, does it install its own?  Is there a particular required version, or a range of versions?  Where can I find that information?

If java is the problem, can I force the installer to use its own bundled java, and have both versions coexist on my system?  I would like to solve this without having to nuke my entire Eclipse install...

Thanks,

Mark

Accepted Solutions

Re: Vivado hangs forever with white window during startup (Linux)

Hi there,

I'm a DWM tiling window manager user on Arch Linux and experienced the same white window problem that you described. I found a solution at this page:

http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Problems_with_Java#Use_OpenJDK_With_Vendor_Fix

In a nutshell setting the environment variable in my user's ~/.zshrc (or .bashrc) aka:

export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1

fixes the problem.

Cheers!

Brandon

View solution in original post

All Replies
Xilinx Employee

Hi Mark,

Check this thread, it may help you.

If the above thread doesn't help, try invoking vivado using the following command: vivado -jvm Xmx4096m

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Visitor

Hi Vinay,

I checked the other thread.  I was already awareof most of that, e.g. the need to use bash instead of dash during installation.  And the java version he recommends installilng is the one I already have.

Unfortunately I cannot try the "-jvm Xmx4096m" command-line option as I don't have an existing vivado install to test it with.  I did try it as an option to xsetup; it didn't seem to do anything though.

But I think I may have found something.  A closer look at the process list reveals that the installer is NOT using my installed java version after all.  It is running a java executable located in /tmp/......  which I presume is the one included in the installer archive.  The other thread on Debian suggested that that java does not work on Debian, although the symptom was supposed to be a crash, whereas on my system is just stalls with zero CPU forever.  But, it's something anyway.

To that end, can you tell me how the installer decides which java to use, and how to force it to use my own java?  On my system "java" lives in /usr/bin, and is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/java, which in turn is a symlink to the actual executable, /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java

If the installer is looking for java in some hard-coded location, that could explain why it isn't finding mine.

Thanks in advance.

Xilinx Employee

Hi Mark,

Are you able to open Vivado in Tcl mode.
Here is the command: vivado -mode tcl

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Visitor

Hi Vinay,

I don't have vivado installed, so I cannot test any commands that start with "vivado ..."  :)

(Before that, I *did* have 2014.1 installed, and it was exhibiting the same problem that the installer does--blank white window and sits forever.  But I deleted that installation hoping that 2014.2 would solve my problem, and it did not.  So now I don't have an installation to test things like Tcl mode on... I just have the installer.)

Is there a way to tell the installer NOT to use its built-in java, and use my installed version instead?

Thanks,

Mark

Xilinx Employee

Hi Mark,

I dont think there is an option. 

When you double click on thin installer, it extracts the java to temp/xinstall/jre/bin and uses it to install the Vivado tool.

Thanks,

Vinay

Hi there,

I'm a DWM tiling window manager user on Arch Linux and experienced the same white window problem that you described. I found a solution at this page:

http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Problems_with_Java#Use_OpenJDK_With_Vendor_Fix

In a nutshell setting the environment variable in my user's ~/.zshrc (or .bashrc) aka:

export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1

fixes the problem.

Cheers!

Brandon

I just want to say that I also ran into this issue as well using XMonad.

The solution is to to add 'setWMName "LG3D"' to your startupHook as described here:

http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Hooks-SetWMName.html

Xilinx Employee

Hello @mark04 

Are the above suggestions helpful?

Is the issue solved?

Thanks,

Vinay

Visitor

Vuppala,

I gave up and installed Vivado on a spare Windows laptop, before the other solutions were proposed.  So for all I know, they may work...

Mark