UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Vivado on this HP server. A good idea?

Jump to solution

Hello

I was hoping to get the input of the community on something that I want to try. I can get my hands (hopefully for a decent price) on a HP ProLiant ML370 Generation 5 (G5) server.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=c04282493

I am not sure how much memory this unit have but it has a lot of drives installed. At least 10 and I think they where 500Gb drives. I just had a quick peak at it. Would be able to check it out and start it up later.

I see they are not to expensive. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=HP+ProLiant+ML370+G5+Server&_sacat=0

I have being using ISE and Spartan devices up to now. I want to change to Vivado 7000 series devices. 

So my questions are:

Say I can get it for $250. Would this be a good machine to run Vivado on?

My current PC takes 1/2 hour to run the Vivado examples. Intel G840 with 8Gb RAM and SSD. Unusable for Vivado.

I do not know if it has windows server or Linux. How difficult would it be to get Vivado running on such a server?

I would love to hear your opinion. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Re: Vivado on this HP server. A good idea?

Jump to solution
Sounds like you made a good purchase.

Previously I ran Vivado on Mac hardware using VMWare. I cannot remember how many cores I assigned it: maybe 4, but I am not sure.

My experience with Vivado is that when you are synthesizing and implementing, more cores matters and extra memory never hurts. For simulation, it is all about memory once the simulation runs past a certain number of transitions. If I create test modules for individual leaf modules in my design, I have no problem simulating everything in the leaves, one module at a time. If I run the full (large) design from the top level module, I only get about 100 us of simulation time before I run out of memory on the server.

Best of success,
Daniel
4 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@cvtabc,

@cvtabc wrote:

My current PC takes 1/2 hour to run the Vivado examples. Intel G840 with 8Gb RAM and SSD. Unusable for Vivado.

why is that?

here I have an 8x 3.6GHz core machine with 8Gb RAM that builds are most intense designs in about an hour (we got it for about 1000€),

against 3 or up to 6 hours for "regular" (about 300€) computers,

if you want to run Vivado fast, 8 Gb of RAM is fine and CPU power does not matter, it's all about the SSDisk because it's accessing the disk all the time

G.W.,
NIST - Time Frequency metrology
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have a 32GB, 8 core machine and am building a Zynq Ultrascale.  Vivado is using about 6GB total of RAM but I'm seeing almost no disk activity from it.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hello

Thanks for the replies. I just found out I can get both servers for $60 so it is a no brainer. One works and the PSUs on the other one is dead but the server works. I have decided to buy both and get them both up and running . Their names will be TARS and CASE.

TARS have 18GB of RAM. I have not looked at CASE's memory.

So "dwisehart" in a way answered my question. He says that he uses the HP Proliant DL380 G5. See post below. 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Vivado-workstation-recommendations/td-p/440166

This link provides the Specweb2005 performance test results. Now I know this test depend heavily on what you want to do and how your machine's hardware setup and all that. But I just wanted to get some kind of indication of the performance of the server I want to buy.

So. Here is the performance results.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/c-products/servers/benchmarks/DL580_SPEC2005_090407.pdf

I have the HP Proliant ML370 G5. It gets a score of (19661). 

"dwisehart" have the HP Proliant DL380 G5.  It gets a score of (20387)

So they are pretty much on par.

The servers have VMware OS installed. It would be less work if I stay on this OS but I do not know if Vivado will work on it or if I can run on more than 2 cores in VMWare. Maybe I will have to change OS to Linux but that could be difficult finding all the drivers for the server. See Linux Multi-core below.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Implementation/Multiple-core-to-running-P-amp-R-by-vivado/td-p/741147

0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Jump to solution
Sounds like you made a good purchase.

Previously I ran Vivado on Mac hardware using VMWare. I cannot remember how many cores I assigned it: maybe 4, but I am not sure.

My experience with Vivado is that when you are synthesizing and implementing, more cores matters and extra memory never hurts. For simulation, it is all about memory once the simulation runs past a certain number of transitions. If I create test modules for individual leaf modules in my design, I have no problem simulating everything in the leaves, one module at a time. If I run the full (large) design from the top level module, I only get about 100 us of simulation time before I run out of memory on the server.

Best of success,
Daniel