Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado or ISE WebPACK for students

Hi!

We are conducting a contest for students (aged approx. 16-19) to learn how to design ASICs and use FPGAs in Austria (http://www.invent-a-chip.at/). The students will use the WebPACK software by Xilinx during the workshop in November and afterwards at home when they are working on their projects.

For tests we are using mostly Spartan 3AN boards. Now I found that the new Vivado only supports series 7 FPGAs (Artix, Kintex, Zynq) but no "younger" ones.

Is it therefore better that we teach the usage of the (now somewhat outdated) ISE Design Suite?

Thanks

Hansi

7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado or ISE WebPACK for students

Hello,

I would recommend you to make them familiar with Vivado Design Suite than ISE because ISE is currently is maintenance mode (no further advancements will take place). But for basic concepts understanding, you can still refer some good ISE documents for e.g. to understand timing basics, you can still use UG612.   

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,
At the age of 16-19, I think should be fine to get a feel of how FPGA flow works. If you are doing this as a part of University program you may contact xup@xilinx.com for additional help.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Oh, I saw that Vivado only supports series 7 FPGAs and no older ones, even with the most expensive licenses. Google found some discussions dating 1-2 years back about people asking for support of series 6 FPGAs, but to no avail.

Further, the discussions asked to expicitely state this fact at the Vivado site, and a Xilinx employee said he will tell the marketing department to do so. But the opposite was done, now it is even less clear that Vivado doesn't support older FPGAs. May I here again ask to state that clearly on the Vivado product page?

Although I like the integrated design and the TCL based flow, we can't use Vivado for our students, because none of them will have this new evaluation boards, even not here at the university.

Bye

Hansi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,
Vivado doesn't support any devices older to 7 series.
Check page 15 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_1/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf which clearly shows the devices supported.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi!

Yes, that is where I found that after an hour of searching. My question was to add that clear statement directly at the Vivado main website. With the same clarity as the supported devices are mentioned on the ISE main website.

Thanks

Hansi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

So Vivado only supports the 7-series FPGAs and not the older FPGAs.  ISE supports older FPGAs such as Spartan-3 and -6.  However, it seems like you will no longer support ISE.  Does this means that Xilinx no longer supports Spartan FPGAs?  If that is the case, then perhaps I should be looking at Altera, rather than Xilinx.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @dpollum238 

We do support customers using ISE tool, provide workarounds for issues seen.

But there are no further ISE releases. Only critical bugs will be fixed in ISE.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos