UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer scy86dev
Observer

What license do I need for Vivado HL WebPACK?

Jump to solution

I want to tinker with writing some FPGA logic, developing linux drivers and running petalinux all on my MicroZed. I have choosen to download and install the Vivado HLx WebPACK. During the installation it asked what edition I wanted to download I choose Vivado HL WebPACK. My first question, are these the right choices if all I want to do is play around with my MicroZed board with writing some VHDL and also using the hardcore processor on it as well running petalinux?

After the installation I've opened up the License Manager and have selected "Get Vivado or IP Evaluation License". This takes me to a page that shows the following options. What do I choose? Why do these expire so quickly as I thought I bought the no cost, no expiration edition? Am I **** out of luck after the thirty days?

Screenshot from 2019-03-22 12-55-22.png

[UPDATE]

It appears from other sources I do not need a license if I'm using the Webpack edition. I'm curious will I be able to learn and accomplish projects that involve the following with the Webpack?

* Write VHDL designs and download them to my MicroZed

* Utilize the hardcore processor in the MicroZed

* Run petalinux on the hardcore processor with the MicroZed

* Develop linux drivers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: What license do I need for Vivado HL WebPACK?

Jump to solution

Hello @scy86dev ,

Is this in relation to "MicroZed Evaluation Kit" https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/1-5lakcu.html?

If so, from here you can see that you'd also get a 

• Xilinx Vivado Design Edition license voucher (device locked to 7Z010)

Have you redeemed this voucher yet?

In any case, as this is in relation to 7Z010, this is a Vivado WebPACK part and with the latest VIvado release, targeting any of the VIvado WebPACK supported parts in your design, you don't actually need any software related licenses, as the licensing checkes are not performed now when you work with one of the smaller devices, that are supported by webpack.

However, if you need to use Petalinux, you'd need to obtain a Petalinux license file.
Xilinx provides an Petalinux Evaluation 1 year license that you can use. And that is the only license that you'd need to download for your design.

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

HI @scy86dev ,

To answer your questions:

Yes you did select the correct choices to perform that tesing / learning you wish to achieve.

For the free licenses, you will want to use the PetaLinux Eval license as well as Vivado Design suite Eval license. This will allow you to use the funcitons up to but not including bitstream as that requires a purchased license. After 30-days certain any non-webpack features will lose funcitonality. At that time you can use the contact sales option at the bottom of Xilinx.com to discuss further license and purchase options.  Here is the table comparisoin of license levels : https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/vivado-webpack.html.

Thank you,
Devin

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @scy86dev ,

Is this in relation to "MicroZed Evaluation Kit" https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/1-5lakcu.html?

If so, from here you can see that you'd also get a 

• Xilinx Vivado Design Edition license voucher (device locked to 7Z010)

Have you redeemed this voucher yet?

In any case, as this is in relation to 7Z010, this is a Vivado WebPACK part and with the latest VIvado release, targeting any of the VIvado WebPACK supported parts in your design, you don't actually need any software related licenses, as the licensing checkes are not performed now when you work with one of the smaller devices, that are supported by webpack.

However, if you need to use Petalinux, you'd need to obtain a Petalinux license file.
Xilinx provides an Petalinux Evaluation 1 year license that you can use. And that is the only license that you'd need to download for your design.

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Observer scy86dev
Observer

Jump to solution

That was clear as clear could be. Thank you for the reply.

FYI, it is my understanding that the license voucher was removed from future MicroZed Evaluation Kits even though some still have them. This was carried out approximately 2 years ago. All websites and documentation were supposed to be updated at that time "according to sources". Apparently the reason for the change was Xilinx made the "WebPACK" to include the Logic Anaylzer and Debug IP elements (or so was reported). Therefore, this is why I have not redeemed the voucher since it is no longer valid.

My source for where I received this information:
http://zedboard.org/content/wheres-vivado-voucher-number

0 Kudos