cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

What to do with Xilinx_License.xml: ISE Project Navigator 14.7 and Vivado 2015.4?

I've searched the forum for information about licensing ISE Project Navigator 14.7 and Vivado 2015.4 but didn't find anything about how to use the  Xilinx_License.xml file I was sent by support.

I can't use the license manager because I had failed to do something when I first tried, now the system says that I have already tried and can't do it again. In searching the forum, I did find some information about resetting the process, so that I can try to get the appropriate license again, but these failed. For example: I tried to run "xlicclientmgr -v "format=long"" as directed in one thread but the system told me that it's not a recognized command.

Is there a nice Xilinx page that explains how to use Xilinx_License.xml to produce a license for Vivado and ISE? I'm very confused.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: What to do with Xilinx_License.xml: ISE Project Navigator 14.7 and Vivado 2015.4?

Hello @jeffbiss,

Which Operating System are you using? Is it supported one as per 

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_4/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf (page #14)

Depending on OS next step to debug can be specified.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: What to do with Xilinx_License.xml: ISE Project Navigator 14.7 and Vivado 2015.4?

Hi @jeffbiss,

For Vivado (acitvation) licenses, you can refer to below videos for step by step tutorial on how to use licenses:

http://www.xilinx.com/training/vivado/vivado-licensing-and-activation-overview.htm
http://www.xilinx.com/training/vivado/vivado-activation-floating-license-generation.htm

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Tushar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Sorry for not mentioning my OS. I am running Windows 7 SP1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @jeffbiss,

Can you share the output of below steps 

1. Open windows command prompt and navigate to C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.4

2. Run the command : settings64.bat

3. Run the command : xlicclientmgr -v "format=long"

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I watched the "Vivado Licensing and Activation Overview" you provided the link to and don't see the Vivado License Manager, only the Xilinx License Configuration Manager in ISE Design Suite 14.4 Accessories that doesn't seem to know about processing the Xilinx_License.xml file. The automatic process obviously hasn't run.

I launched Vivado 2012.4 that was installed from my download and its License Manager looks exactly like that from Project Navigator. So, it seems like the process shown in the video isn't available in either Xilinx apps.

As I have only one computer, I don't need the floating license.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I ran settings64.bat. No output.

I ran xlicclientmgr -v "format=long". Output:

Viewing application trusted storage.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fulfillment Id : 212016673
Fulfillment Type : 6 Publisher Activation
Trust Flags : 0x7 Fully Trusted
Entitlement Id :
Product Id : 209856468
Expiration Date : permanent
Server chain : Server1
Feature Line(s) :
INCREMENT Vivado_WebPACK xilinxd 2017.01 permanent 9999 AE4F1CC72DD5 \
VENDOR_STRING=TRUSTED_STORAGE,jeffbiss,Vivado_WebPACK,software,permanent,_175934486_0_0_505 \
ISSUER="Xilinx Inc" START=03-Jan-2016 TS_OK
INCREMENT Analyzer xilinxd 2017.01 permanent 9999 2B67EA8D5587 \
VENDOR_STRING=TRUSTED_STORAGE,jeffbiss,Analyzer,software,permanent,_175934486_0_0_220 \
ISSUER="Xilinx Inc" START=03-Jan-2016 TS_OK
PACKAGE Vivado_WebPACK xilinxd 2017.01 3B7FED3A0373 COMPONENTS="SDK \
HLS V_WebPACK" OPTIONS=SUITE

Viewed 1 of 1 fulfillment records.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @jeffbiss,

From the output of command : xlicclientmgr -v "format=long" , it seems that you have correctly installed Vivado WebPack license on your system. With this license, you can use the limited devices which are mentioned in Table 2-1 from below UG

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_4/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

Are you facing any problem while using any of the WebPack device with Vivado 2015.4?

In the description of your first post (and even in the title of this thread), you have mentioned that you have installed ISE 14.7 and Vivado 2015.4 but later in one of the post you have mentioned about ISE 14.4 and Vivado 2012.4. So which one is correct? Or do you have all these four versions installed?  

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I haven't started working with either app yet, I received a license error when I launched ISE and its license manager stated that the current license is up at the end of January 2016, so I wanted to ensure that the license is current.

I have installed ISE 14.7 and 14.4 and Vivado 2012.4 and 2015.4 and mistakenly referred to older ISE and Vivado versions, sorry. I realize that I must have launched the 2012.4 Vivado version and referred to its License Manager, sorry. 

I now launched the 2015.4 version and see the current License Manager. I launched it from the Help menu and see that the directory that it is looking for the license in is in users/jbiss/appdata/roaming/xilinx/ and I saved the emailed Xilinx_License.xml in a different directory, I had no idea about the "trusted storage" thing, I copied the xml file to that directory. I clicked Activate and was told that it was unable to process the xml file because the response was already processed.

I looked at the New License Status screen and see that Analyzer, HLS, SDK, V_WebPACK and Vivado_WebPACK as permanent. I just created a new project, just to see if I got any errors and I didn't. I assume that that means that Vivado license must have been handled by the installation process, correct? If so, I didn't realize it and was trying to do something that I didn't have to do, sorry. I was confused.

However, when I launch ISE, it complains about the license. How do I get the ISE license activated?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @jeffbiss,

For ISE you need a .lic file for licensing. 

If you have an ISE license then you can set the license path in search path of XLCM.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan

1.JPG
2.JPG
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I had a license when I used the old WebPack on my NT computer. I created one chip CPLD replacements for discrete logic back then and haven't done that kind of work in a while. I intend to start again and so downloaded and installed the later Xilinx WebPack apps, so I need a new WebPack license for ISE.

I just launched the Xilinx License Configuration Manager and don't see anything online that would provide the ISE license. the manager does show the new Vivado licenses but nothing for ISE. A number of features, such as apu_fpu, are licensed until the end of Jan 2016. I don't know what this means regarding ISE operation. I see that there are Vivado_WebPACK and V_WebPACK are set as permanent. Do these enable ISE?

ISE launches, I loaded my ancient project and I successfully ran Create Schematic Symbol, does that mean that ISE is actually licensed even thought it launches with that "A license was not found for the 'ISE' feature" error message?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @jeffbiss,

ISE WebPack license will be present in your account on Xilinx Product Licensing site. Login at below link with your credentials and check in 'Certificate based licenses' section.

http://www.xilinx.com/getlicense

If you have already generated the license, it will be there in 'Manage License' tab from where you can download it (Download button at bottom left corner). Place it to some local directory and point its path to XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE variable in Xilinx License Configuration Manager.

If you face any issues, attach your license file here to debug the issue further.  

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

First, thanks for all the help. I checked the Certificate Based Licenses and see only Petalinux Tools and Vivado HLS Evaluation licenses. I checked the Manage Licenses and see the current Vivado Design Suite: HL Webpack and the older ISE WebPack licenses. The ISE Webpack states that it doesn't expire.

So, why do I get that can't find license error message?

This makes it look like there is no problem with ISE, correct?

It appears that this is due to my confusion of the process and of what the error messages mean.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @jeffbiss

Share the exact error message here to further debug/comment on your issue.

Also share the xinfo.txt.

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vinay,

The message states:

"A license was not found for the 'ISE' feature.

Typical causes for this error are either that there is no license file found or that license files, which were found, do not contain an unexpired license with the required feature.

The Xilinx License Configuration Manager (XLCM) will be launched to assist you with locating or obtaining a license file."

I searched the Xilinx directories, including Xilinx under Users, for the xinfo.txt and couldn't find it. Where would it be saved?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @jeffbiss

You have to generate xinfo.txt by following below steps:

1. Running the command: xinfo in the ISE Command Prompt and xinfo.txt will be saved in present working directory

OR

2. Start --> All Programs --> Xilinx Design Tools --> ISE Design Suite 14.7 --> Accessories --> Xinfo System Checker.

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vinay,

Thanks for the infomation. I attached it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @jeffbiss

From the attached xinfo.txt, I observe that the tool was unable to pick the licenses. See attached snapshot (from xinfo.txt):

license.PNG

Follow below steps to resolve the issue:

1. Navigate to www.xilinx.com/getlicense
  2. Login with your credentials
  3. Click on "Manage Licenses" tab
  4. Select ISE WebPACK from the list and click on download button (located in the bottom-left corner of the webpage)
  5. Save it on your hard drive
  6. Open XLCM (Start --> All Programs --> Xilinx Design Tools --> ISE Design Suite 14.7 --> Accessories --> Manage Xilinx Licenses)
  7. Select "Manage Xilinx Licenses" tab and click on "Load License..." button
  8. Select the .lic that you saved in step 5.

Now generate the xinfo again and see the section "License Information" for licenses.

Thanks,

Vinay

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vinay,

Sorry to be such a bother, but I don't see that license. See the attached PDF showing you what I see.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @jeffbiss

Can you check whether it is present in "Create New Licenses" tab? (in Xilinx Product Licensing webpage)

Thanks,

Vinay

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vinay,

Yes it does, attached is a PDF of that page.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @jeffbiss

Is your login is added to any other licensing account.

See this thread for more information: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/License-Version-Limit-work-around/td-p/676239

Thanks,

Vinay

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vinay,

Nope. It has to be this account I created ages ago. I don't remember creating any other account, although that certainly could have happened. Does the system show any other "jeff" variants with a last name of "biss"?

0 Kudos