UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor etb513
Visitor

Windows 10

Hi all,

I am fully aware that Windows 10 is NOT a supported operating system for any versions of Vivado available at this time (2015.2 being the latest version available at the time of writing).

However, I am curious as to whether or not anyone has had any luck in getting Vivado to install and function completely on a Windows 10 machine, and if any specific steps were necessary to achieve this. I'd like to hold off from upgrading any time soon if it's not possible to use Vivado with Windows 10 yet.

Unofficial compatibility aside, is there any ETA for official Windows 10 support? Version 2016.1 perhaps?

Thanks,

Ethan

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Visitor etb513
Visitor

Re: Windows 10

My apologies, I intended to post this under the Installation and Licensing forum. If a mod would be so kind as to move this to the correct forum, that'd be great - sorry for any inconvenience!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @etb513

Windows 10 was released a couple of days before.

It takes some time for Xilinx to support this brand new OS. 

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor etb513
Visitor

Of course! I wouldn't expect official support until 2016 or later.

I'm more curious to see if anyone has had any success getting the tools to work with a little tweaking, as was possible with Vivado on Windows 8 before it was official supported. Pre-release Windows 10 builds have been around for some months now.

0 Kudos
Visitor hamster
Visitor

Argh.... upgraded tonight...

[Common 17-345] A valid license was not found for feature 'Implementation' and/or device 'xc7a200t'. Please run the Vivado License Manager for assistance in determining which features and devices are licensed for your system.

Have to start using a Linux VM :-(

0 Kudos

@hamster,

Do you mean you were not getting this License error before upgrading to Windows 10?

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

@hamster,

Also share the Vivado license file and xinfo report. To generate xinfo file, Run the below command from Vivado TCL shell and share the xinfo.txt log file.

report_environment –file <directory>/xinfo.txt

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Visitor xuroot
Visitor

I installed vivado 2015.2 in win8.1x64. and today, I upgrade to win10. 

Just use license manager to refresh several times, and now, I could syn, impl, and generate bit file. 

0 Kudos
Visitor etb513
Visitor

Good to know, thanks! Does anyone know if you can do a clean Vivado install directly on Win10 or is it necessary to install on a previous version and then upgrade?

0 Kudos
Newbie realdigital

Not sure why, but the installer seems to stuck at "generating installed device list".

Suggestions? :)

0 Kudos
Visitor xuroot
Visitor

Hi, 

I reinstalled a new win 10, and vivado. Till now, everything is working fine from my side.

0 Kudos
Newbie tunaip

Hi there xuroot, 

I recently upgraded to W10 and installed Vivado. I am getting the license problem when I try to synth. Would you mind

explaining the spets you went throught in order to get it done? 

Thank you very much. 

0 Kudos
Observer reichardt
Observer

Hi folks,

does anybody already have experience with a new Vivado 2015.3 installation on a freshly installed WIndows-10?

Is the last ISE14.7 version compatible with WIndows-10? Any troubleshooting hints?

Thanks in advance

Juergen

0 Kudos

@reichardt

Win10 is an unsupported OS with ISE 14.7. It is always recommended to use the supported OS to avoid any unkown behavior.

Check page number 7 in the below release notes of ISE 14.7:

http://china.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/irn.pdf

Did you install ISE 14.7 in Win10? Are you facing any issue?

--Syed

0 Kudos
Observer reichardt
Observer

Sydez,

thanks for the info that the Windows 10 is not a supported plattform for the latest ISE 14.7 

I don't have any experience with Xilinx tools on WIndows 10 yet, but I will soon have to install Vivado 2015.3 and ISE 14.7 on a new WIndows based computer and wish to know which OS to take.

In fact I think that it does not make sense to use the old Windows 7 and I don't want to use Windows 8.

I will also have to use both plattforms on the same computer because we are using FPGAs ranging from SPARTAN-3 to Kintex/Zynq.

So again my questions:

- How is the chance to run ISE14.7 on WIndows 10 successfully?

- Is Windows 10 already a supported platform for Vivado 2015.3? If not: Which Windows-OS is recommended.

with kind regards

Juergen

0 Kudos

@reichardt

- How is the chance to run ISE14.7 on WIndows 10 successfully?

Many of our customer have succesfully installed ISE 14.7 on Win10. But again since it is not tested by Xilinx it is not recommended .

Is Windows 10 already a supported platform for Vivado 2015.3? If not: Which Windows-OS is recommended.

For this you need to check the release notes user guide of Vivado 2015.3. Check page number 14 in below link to know the list:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_3/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

--Syed

0 Kudos
Observer reichardt
Observer

hi syedz,

...so I conclude that Xilinx still recommends to use the old Windows 7 OS for both ISE and Vivado.....:-(

Do you have any experiences from other customers running Vivado on Win 10?

Do you know about Xilinx plans to port Vivado to Win 10?

Juergen

0 Kudos

@reichardt,

We do have plans to support Vivado with Win10 and developement is currently working on it.

But it will not be supported with ISE as ISE is now obsolete. 

--Syed

0 Kudos
Participant cesys
Participant

If ISE is obsolete and Vivado does not support Spartan-6, does this mean Spartan-6 devices are also obsolete?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Well, Xilinx?  Yes or no?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Very interesting topic. What about Virtex5 + Virtex6? 

Yesterday, Microsoft announced that future Intel CPUs (including the recently released Skylake generation) will have limited Support for Windows 7 and users should move to Win10. 

What will Xilinx do? 

0 Kudos
Visitor kenwells85
Visitor

Pinging this conversation to see if there has been any progress on Windows 10 support with Vivado.  My company's IT department wants me to be the first FPGA engineering guinnea pig to switch to Win10 and I'm concerned that I'll waste a lot of time and it still won't work in the end.

Does Xilinx have a target date and a target version of Vivado that will support Windows 10?

0 Kudos
Newbie k.jaulin

Hi !

I installed vivado 2015.4 on Windows 10 and I can't use my Platform Cable USB II because windows don't recognize usb serial port com. With the same material but with Windows 7 it works.

I installed driver separetly from xilinx website and it doesn't work.

I can just see "Xilinx USB Cable" in Peripheral manager when I plug the device.

Somebody can help me please ?

Kévin.

Xilinx-issue.PNG
0 Kudos
Newbie mjb1972

Is there a patch for Windows 10 and Vivado yet? I like 10, so I won't be downgrading. It would be nice to work from home on a modern computer. Please inform if there is support or when there is a projection for support. I've found nothing as of yet.

0 Kudos
Visitor cube1
Visitor

I stumbled on this post while researching an upcoming Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade.

I find it pretty disappointing that Xilinx has taken this stance, and I think it is against Xilinx' best interests.  Consider these facts:

1.  Microsoft is now only providing security updates to Windows 7, and is thus essentially forcing users to upgrade to Windows 10, and to do it SOON - by the end of July 2016.

2.  Many of us have been working with devices that Vivado simply does not support.  It isn't an option.  Whether it be a case of a legacy device deployed by a smaller coroporation that does not have the resources to keep and extra development seat around, a university student, a hobbyist or a youngster just getting started, legacy devices have to exist in millions of devices, and give newcomers an affordable entry point into hardware development for your devices.  

3.  You'd rather maybe I migrate to Intel/Altera?  I can tell you I am certainly look at that option right now.  If I have to upgrade to a new device, new development board AND new tools, there is no reason not to open up my investigation. 

4.  The changes to get ISE running fully in 32 and 64 bit environments would be very modest, as one can tell from the workarounds.  But workarounds sometimes leave people with a *very* uncomfortable feeling about the future.

So why continue to anger and disappoint people when fixing it would be relatively easy?

0 Kudos