UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Windows 8

Visitor

Re: Windows 8

It is not a matter of compelling features.  I write firmware for a living, I have a Windows 8 laptop, and I would like it to work on Windows 8.

So to say that "Nobody is using Windows 8 in any professional environment" is incorrect and short sighted.

A "professional" company such as Xilinx cannot simply say "in a professional environment you have to use Win 7".

Windows is one of the standards on the OS market...so, it is simply not very professional to say that. Even when there are many beta windows releases before the windows version launch to help third parties software to adapt to new windows versions.

Xilinx: it is certainly NOT PROFESSIONAL to say this and not to have software versions in time.

Unless you don't know how to adapt it (which seems it is the case, because the comment "limited support" is that it is not exactly know what you have in your hands...).

Explorer

jmedma wrote:

A "professional" company such as Xilinx cannot simply say "in a professional environment you have to use Win 7".

Windows is one of the standards on the OS market...so, it is simply not very professional to say that. Even when there are many beta windows releases before the windows version launch to help third parties software to adapt to new windows versions.

Xilinx: it is certainly NOT PROFESSIONAL to say this and not to have software versions in time.

Unless you don't know how to adapt it (which seems it is the case, because the comment "limited support" is that it is not exactly know what you have in your hands...).

Xilinx didn't say that.  It's not professional to blame Xilinx for an opinion expressed by an individual by the way.  It's also just plain childish to imply that Xilinx doesn't know how to adapt their software to Windoze 8.

It takes time and money to make changes to any sofware to account for differences in operating systems.  The fact that you think Xilinx should already be done with those changes is irrelevant.  If you adopted a new operating system before Xilinx was able to implement support for it, that's your fault.

It is my fault.

Understood.

Thanks!

"Nobody is using Windows 8 in any professional environment."

Really?...you know this for all the entire world?. Wise man.

Historian

jmedma wrote:

"Nobody is using Windows 8 in any professional environment."

Really?...you know this for all the entire world?. Wise man.

Well, let's see. You can spend your time dicking around with getting the tools to work on an unsupported operating system, or you can order a new machine with Windows 7 installed and design products.

BTW, Xilinx isn't the only vendor whose software is not ready for the latest versions of an operating system. Avid, for example, always recommends not running ProTools and their video-editing suite on the latest OS, even though they have developer access to pre-release builds. Yes, it takes them "a while" to bring out support for the new stuff (much to the chagrin of folks who buy a new Mac, only to find it comes installed with a new OS that Avid doesn't yet support), but they really do want to make it as bug-free as possible, especially since bugs in new tools piss off the customers who start complaining about delays in their production schedule.

So the choice is clear: a) wait until Xilinx releases tools which officially support Win8, or b) try to make the current tools work with that OS, understanding that Xilinx doesn't support it and will not. 

Why is this controversial? I don't know.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
Visitor

I am also using Windows 8 x64 on a new computer since January. I just needed a new computer after 5 years.

I am using many development suites for several processors and a lot of other programs. Some of them are over 10 years old. But they all work with Windows 8. The only suite that does not run at all is the XILINX software!

So I am asking me two questions:

1.) Why does the XILINX software needs to be adapted to Windows 8, when almost all other programs just work fine?
2.) Why is it not possible to do this adoption within a year? (The first BETA was available in February 2012).

From my point of view this is very disappointing.

I have solved this problem by installing a virtual machine with Windows XP. This works, but does not make me happy.

...and after one year of windows 8, provably windows 8 is not new at all. provably it is as his mid-ages, taking into account the lifetime of OSs.

Most of multinationals (and smaller companies) have had windows 8 versions after 4 months after windows 8 launch (not to mention long time that windows 8 beta was available for developers).

Provably the problem comes for the way that the software have been developed, and provably the adaptation invoves a lot of time spending. Or provably a similar situation.

Anyway, I prefer not useing xilinx if the given support is similar for the rest of potential problems. Luckily i'm in time to change of platform.

No problem.

Highlighted
Observer

For everyone trying to use Xilinx ISE 14.5 in Windows 8 x64. Rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig, and copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll.

Do this in:

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64 (copy dll from first location)

This turns off SmartHeap.

This will fix ISE and iMPACT crashes on file dialogs.

Nachum

This information was found from another thread, thank you howardp from Xilinx in this thread:

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/crawl_message?board.id=DEENBD&message.id=1732

Observer

Does the new 2013.2 Vivado work with  64 BIT PC running windoes 8? 

Any body tried it out?