UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer lachezar
Observer

Windows 8

Hello ...

- Can I install and use Development Tools on Windows 8 ???

- What about the next version of ISE and others ... Will they be compatible with Windows 8 ???

0 Kudos
40 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Windows 8

Hi Lachezar,

The current ISE (14.4) or Vivado (2012.4) doesn't support Windows 8.

It is recommended to use supported OS (Windows-7, RHEL etc).

Currently, there is no road-map for Windows 8 support.
However, I am quite sure that Windows 8 will be listed under the supported OS in near future.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@lachezar wrote:

Hello ...

- Can I install and use Development Tools on Windows 8 ???

- What about the next version of ISE and others ... Will they be compatible with Windows 8 ???

Nobody is using Windows 8 in any professional environment.
New machines can be ordered with Windows 7 installed.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Observer lachezar
Observer

Windows 7 or Windows 7 SP1 ???

It is about ISE 14.x ...

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

yes, 14.x Xilinx tools Support Windows 7 or Windows 7 SP1.

or you can check supported OS here in this link

http://www.xilinx.com/ise/ossupport/index.htm

Cheers,

Vishal

0 Kudos
Newbie ksseng3

Oh how I wish new systems could be ordered with Win7.  Some vendors / systems are simply not available that way.

I picked up an i7 ultrabook from ASUS for ease of transport to my client sites.  What a nightmare Win8 has been.

Any luck with Impact tools and Win8?

Trying to run the USB II cable (which does show up in the device manager) with Impact and both 32bit and 64bit are crapping out.

64 bit can find the chain but then crashes when trying to creat an IPF file.  32bit can't even see the USB II cable.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@ksseng3 wrote:

Oh how I wish new systems could be ordered with Win7.  Some vendors / systems are simply not available that way.

I picked up an i7 ultrabook from ASUS for ease of transport to my client sites.  What a nightmare Win8 has been.

I dunno, I just looked on Dell's website and they sell plenty of laptops with Win7 installed.

(This should not be taken as an endorsement of any Dell products. I use a MacBook Pro.)

0 Kudos
Observer hgraves777
Observer

Yes there are people using Windows 8 in a professional environment...I am.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@hgraves777 wrote:

Yes there are people using Windows 8 in a professional environment...I am.

Why? What compelling features does it offer?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Windows 8 is planned to have "Limited Support" for 2013.1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Observer hgraves777
Observer

It is not a matter of compelling features.  I write firmware for a living, I have a Windows 8 laptop, and I would like it to work on Windows 8.

So to say that "Nobody is using Windows 8 in any professional environment" is incorrect and short sighted.

0 Kudos
Newbie jmedma

A "professional" company such as Xilinx cannot simply say "in a professional environment you have to use Win 7".

Windows is one of the standards on the OS market...so, it is simply not very professional to say that. Even when there are many beta windows releases before the windows version launch to help third parties software to adapt to new windows versions.

Xilinx: it is certainly NOT PROFESSIONAL to say this and not to have software versions in time.

Unless you don't know how to adapt it (which seems it is the case, because the comment "limited support" is that it is not exactly know what you have in your hands...).

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@jmedma wrote:

A "professional" company such as Xilinx cannot simply say "in a professional environment you have to use Win 7".

Windows is one of the standards on the OS market...so, it is simply not very professional to say that. Even when there are many beta windows releases before the windows version launch to help third parties software to adapt to new windows versions.

Xilinx: it is certainly NOT PROFESSIONAL to say this and not to have software versions in time.

Unless you don't know how to adapt it (which seems it is the case, because the comment "limited support" is that it is not exactly know what you have in your hands...).

Xilinx didn't say that.  It's not professional to blame Xilinx for an opinion expressed by an individual by the way.  It's also just plain childish to imply that Xilinx doesn't know how to adapt their software to Windoze 8.

It takes time and money to make changes to any sofware to account for differences in operating systems.  The fact that you think Xilinx should already be done with those changes is irrelevant.  If you adopted a new operating system before Xilinx was able to implement support for it, that's your fault.

0 Kudos
Newbie jmedma

It is my fault.

Understood.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Newbie jmedma

"Nobody is using Windows 8 in any professional environment."

Really?...you know this for all the entire world?. Wise man.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@jmedma wrote:

"Nobody is using Windows 8 in any professional environment."

Really?...you know this for all the entire world?. Wise man.

Well, let's see. You can spend your time dicking around with getting the tools to work on an unsupported operating system, or you can order a new machine with Windows 7 installed and design products.

BTW, Xilinx isn't the only vendor whose software is not ready for the latest versions of an operating system. Avid, for example, always recommends not running ProTools and their video-editing suite on the latest OS, even though they have developer access to pre-release builds. Yes, it takes them "a while" to bring out support for the new stuff (much to the chagrin of folks who buy a new Mac, only to find it comes installed with a new OS that Avid doesn't yet support), but they really do want to make it as bug-free as possible, especially since bugs in new tools piss off the customers who start complaining about delays in their production schedule.

So the choice is clear: a) wait until Xilinx releases tools which officially support Win8, or b) try to make the current tools work with that OS, understanding that Xilinx doesn't support it and will not. 

Why is this controversial? I don't know.

0 Kudos
Visitor woitha
Visitor

I am also using Windows 8 x64 on a new computer since January. I just needed a new computer after 5 years.

I am using many development suites for several processors and a lot of other programs. Some of them are over 10 years old. But they all work with Windows 8. The only suite that does not run at all is the XILINX software!

So I am asking me two questions:

1.) Why does the XILINX software needs to be adapted to Windows 8, when almost all other programs just work fine?
2.) Why is it not possible to do this adoption within a year? (The first BETA was available in February 2012).

From my point of view this is very disappointing.

I have solved this problem by installing a virtual machine with Windows XP. This works, but does not make me happy.

0 Kudos
Newbie jmedma

...and after one year of windows 8, provably windows 8 is not new at all. provably it is as his mid-ages, taking into account the lifetime of OSs.

Most of multinationals (and smaller companies) have had windows 8 versions after 4 months after windows 8 launch (not to mention long time that windows 8 beta was available for developers).

Provably the problem comes for the way that the software have been developed, and provably the adaptation invoves a lot of time spending. Or provably a similar situation.

Anyway, I prefer not useing xilinx if the given support is similar for the rest of potential problems. Luckily i'm in time to change of platform.

No problem.

0 Kudos
Observer nachum
Observer

For everyone trying to use Xilinx ISE 14.5 in Windows 8 x64. Rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig, and copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll.

Do this in:

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64 (copy dll from first location)

This turns off SmartHeap.

This will fix ISE and iMPACT crashes on file dialogs.

Nachum

This information was found from another thread, thank you howardp from Xilinx in this thread:

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/crawl_message?board.id=DEENBD&message.id=1732

Tags (3)
Observer hallolo
Observer

Does the new 2013.2 Vivado work with  64 BIT PC running windoes 8? 

Any body tried it out? 

0 Kudos
Newbie kbandura

I stumbled upon this thread since I upgraded to windows 8 and found that vivado wasn't properly supported.  

I found that vivado 2013.2 will run in tcl command-line mode only.  vivado 14.4 32-bit (even on 64 bit install) is the only version I've gotten working

Newbie gustolfi

Thank You, Nachum!

It worked for ISE 14.4!

Thank yuo very much

Guido

0 Kudos
Newbie marco1988

Hey can you explain thethe meaning of  copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll.

I have copyed the libPortability NOSH.dll and pasted it into the location of libPortability.dll.

This did not worked.

Where is my  mistake?

0 Kudos
Visitor rfries
Visitor

What alternatives are there to PlanAhead that will work on windows 8 Pro?

0 Kudos

Renaming DLLs didn't work for me either. 14.6 ISE on Windows 7 x64.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Visitor mertvat
Visitor

Can you explain this sentence "copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll".

Thank you for your help.

Mert
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer nachum
Observer

Hi Mert,

If you look in the Xilinx folder "<Install Drive>:\Xilinx\<Version>\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64" you will find a file named libPortability.dll. In many versions of Xilinx tools there is also a file named libPortabilityNOSH.dll. The NOSH file is a dll that perfoms all the same functions as libPortability.dll but disables SmartHeap. I don't know what SmartHeap is, but it seems to be the cause of the Windows 8 issues. If you rename the original libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig, and then copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll, then the Xilinx tools will run without SmartHeap.

Do the same thing in this folder: ""<Install Drive>:\Xilinx\<Version>\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64". If you can't find the libPortabilityNOSH.dll, you should be able to use the one from the ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64 folder. Before doing that, you can compare libPortability.dll in both folders. If the libPortability.dll files are identical, then the libPortabilityNOSH.dll from one folder will work in the other as well.

I hope this helps,

Nachum

0 Kudos
Visitor mertvat
Visitor

Hi nachum, I did it just like you said ,then it worked. But i hope ISE will support windows 8 soon. Thank you for your explanation. Mert
0 Kudos
Newbie acokoy

This works fine.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Newbie lnx53

I was suffering from not being able to find the NOSH one, but here you explained it and i fixed my problem too, thank you very very very much man !

0 Kudos