cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_sirius_
Observer
Observer

Xilinx 10G/25G Ethernet IP license not detected by Vivado after a purchase of the license

Hello,

After a purchase of the ten_gig_eth_mac license, I did not success to make the project working with the latter license.

I can see the ten_gig_eth_mac license correctly activated in the license manager (please look at image 1_license_manager), that is good. However, if I look at the license status in the ip catalog the status is “purchase" (please look at image 2_ip_catalog) but if I right click in the IP and select the option “License Status” the license appears as “bought” (please look at image 3_ip_catalog_license_info). Also, when I look at the ten_gig_eth_mac IP of my project it says “purchase” (4_project_manager). I have tried to right click in the ten_gig_eth_mac IP of my project and select the options “Reset Output Products” and “Regenerate Outputs products” but I guess as the IP status in the IP catalog is “Purchase” does not get update to “licensed”. I am using Vivado 2016.4.

It would be great is someone could provide any suggestion in how to update the license status in the IP catalog or why the license is not working. 

Many thanks.
1_license_manager.png
2_ip_catalog.png
3_ip_catalog_license_info.png
4_project_manager.png
0 Kudos
12 Replies
hemangd

Hi @_sirius_,

The significance of the words purchase and included are like: 

Any IP Core that has the required license included as part of the Xilinx installation will show the word 'included' in this column. 

Any IP Core that requires the user to purchase an additional license in order to use the IP will show the word 'purchase' in this column.

Are you facing any license related errors while using this 10G/25G Ethernet IP license? If yes, than please share the snapshot of it.  If no, than your purchased license is working fine. 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
_sirius_
Observer
Observer

Hi hemangd,

Thanks a lot for your fast reply.

I am not facing any license related errors while using this 10G/25G Ethernet IP license. However, I was not facing any license related errors even before the purchase of the license. The previous license allowed me to compile the project without errors but the 10G stopped working after a few hours.

Could I verify somehow if the IP compiled for my project is taking the last purchased full license or if is using the previous one?

Many thanks,

_sirius_

0 Kudos
hemangd

Hi @_sirius_,

Yes, if you do not have purchased the license and you are using the hardware evaluation license, by right clicking on specific IP in IP catalog and check for the License Status , there you will able to see type of license. 

Hardware Evaluation license does time out after 2 to 8 hours. 

Purchased license does not do hardware timeout.

If you are using a design linking license you will not able to generate bit file and you will get the status as shown below.

design.JPG

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
_sirius_
Observer
Observer

Hi hemangd,

In the image that I have attached before I can see that the license is activated from the ip catalog. But could I verify somehow if the license has been correctly upgraded in the IP inside of my project?

Thanks a lot,

_sirius_

3_ip_catalog_license_info.png
0 Kudos
hemangd

Hi @_sirius_,

As per my knowledge, you can check it in this way. 

Make sure you have removed the hw evaluation license of this IP from the Xilinx license directory and only purchased license is linked to Vivado. 

After that, when you will try to generate bitstream - if the tool will able to generate it successfully then your purchased license is linked to Vivado otherwise bitstream wont be generated.

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
_sirius_
Observer
Observer

Hi hemangd,

How can I remove the hw evaluation license of the IP from the Xilinx license directory?

Many thanks,

_sirius_

0 Kudos
hemangd

Hi @_sirius_,

Just change the location of hw evaluation license of that IP. And check the Vivado license manager that it shows only purchased license or not. (If the license manager shows only purchased license of that IP then go for generating bitstream and check , you face any license related to error or not. )

In your provided first snapshot , Vivado license manager shows the purchased license of that IP which is okay. 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @_sirius_,

The problem here is that your current netlist wasn't updated since your new purchased licenses was added and that is causing your timeout issue, as your netlist was built at the time when you had your HW eval license for this IP Core.

Please have a look at the following AR: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/58758.htm.

Basically, when the IP core is generated, the license information is stored in the netlist file and it stays in the netlist file even after you change the license to something else (i.e. if you had no license first and then added a full, purchased license (or an evaluation one) afterwards - then you need to update the output products to update the netlist).

If the output products are not updated, then the old license will still be pointed to even after a valid license is installed. As such, please follow the steps given in the above Answer Record and that should help you to resolve your licensing issue, as I believe that you have added the new license file, but the netlist wasn't updated and still contains incorrect licensing info.

So, can you please right click on the IP Core and selected “reset outputs product”, then "re-generate output products" and then re-run synth, Implementation and generate bitstream. This will solve your issue then.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
_sirius_
Observer
Observer

Hello Anatoli,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The mos likely is that the problem is what you said. The first time that I tried I did not “reset outputs product” and "re-generate output products". I already realized about that but it takes time to debug as the system sometimes also crashes because a problem with the self manager. For that, is what I wanted to know if I could be sure that the IP of my project took the correct license before compiling and testing the system.

@hemangd: Thanks for your reply, I can try that.

I will let you know when I am sure that the system has the correct license. It may take a few days to debug. This night the system crashed because a issue power cycle of the self manager and this morning I could not be sure if the license was working.

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello again @_sirius_,

Thanks for letting us know.

Yes, indeed, if you get your system back up and running and then do the steps given in my previous reply, this will most-likely resolve your issue, as we have seen other users with the same issue before. 

Please let us know once you have this fully tested.

Thanks once again and have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
_sirius_
Observer
Observer

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your help, now the license is working fine.

Best regards,

_sirius_

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @_sirius_,

Thanks a lot for letting us know and we are glad to see your issue is resolved now.

As your issue is solved, please mark an appropriate response that resolved your issue, as Accepted Solution (more info on this can be found here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/solutions#solutions), so  the topic can be completed then. We appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos