UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xilinx ISE installation problem on windows8 Release Preview

I had tried installing all the versions of Xilinx ISE as administrator on my windows8 release preview system .

I have Run this program in compatibility mode for  Windows 7 operating system,Windows8 supports compatibility mode of windows7,the same is working on XP and Win7.

error shown: setup.exe has stopped working.
                         windows will find it out soon

I have consulted Microsoft reg the same, they suggested to contact Xilinx.

is'nt xilinx compatible for windows8 RP?

xilinx.png
0 Kudos
65 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Xilinx ISE installation problem on windows8 Release Preview

The latest Operating system support is listed here:

http://www.xilinx.com/ise/ossupport/index.htm

Xilinx generally supports mature releases of Windows, so it is not surprising that

a "preview" release of Windows 8 is not supported.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Visitor sarde
Visitor

I got version 14.2 installed on windows 8 but facing a lot of problems with it.

ISim is not working a all.

64bit mode of ISE crash at startup

32 mode seems to work

0 Kudos
Visitor pg177
Visitor

Same here. 14.2 64-bit crashes at file management, and 32-bit at iSim on win8. Anyone got a solution for win8? Any working version?

0 Kudos

Hi

Did you fix your problem. Even Managae xilinx license does not work. It closes when I click the "copy license.."  in Managae license file tab. I am not able to copy the license file. Is there any manual way to do it.

0 Kudos
Visitor rafaelcatrou
Visitor

Hi,

Here we are also very interested by this topic because since we have moved to windows 8, it is not possible to work with Xilinx tools! Please help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

> since we have moved to windows 8, it is not possible to work with Xilinx tools!

Then move back to Window 7!

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
Visitor rafaelcatrou
Visitor

Indeed we resort to a dual boot windows 7 & 8 for now. Hope Xilinx understand that it is short-term solution.

0 Kudos
Newbie eeeneeekooo

Sorry, i´m from Spain and my English is not so well, but I have the same problem and I think that the following solve is correct: (my ISE version is 12.3)

-you must go to bin/nt/xsetup

-accept/accept/ISE Webpacklicense/install

Newbie zhemo

Perdon, dejame ver si entendi, quieres decir que para que el ISE se instale correctamente en windows 8 ¿seguimos tus pasos?

Saludos desde México :)

0 Kudos
Newbie matlev

This is how i made my WebPack work, hope it works for you :)

Instead of launching the app form the desktop icon, instead laung it from the ISE Design Suite 32-bit command Prompt (if you're in Windows 8, simply hit start and type ISE, and it should show up). Type ISE in the prompt and hit enter.

The problem appears to be the way Xilinx 64 bit port works with the file system. The license manager still wont work though, so you'll have to install the licenses manually.

0 Kudos
Visitor hanismarty
Visitor

EVERYONE, to make Xilinx work in Windows 8, lauch the ise.exe from the ''nt'' folder which is for 32-bit not ''nt64'' and download ModelSim Simulator, there is a free student version you can use since iSim doesnt work on windows 8.

in brief, on Windows 8, run Xilinx in 32-bit with ModelSim instead of iSim.

I tried it and it worked!

0 Kudos
Visitor rafaelcatrou
Visitor

I 've tried you trick with ISE 14.3. It does not work for me. When one tries to create new project / open project,  an error of "_pn.exe" happens.

- Is there any change regarding the windows 8 compatibility with the release 14.4?

- Is there a schedule to fix this issue? It entails serious delay in deliveries. 

0 Kudos
Visitor hanismarty
Visitor

well this is strange because it worked for me...i asked Xilinx via email, they told me that there is no plan for windows 8 compatibility right now. i think your best choice is to use Oracle's virtual box and intall Windows Xp VM and use Xilinx in Win Xp. eventhough it's strange the 32-bit didnt work, it worked for many

0 Kudos
Newbie niluwin

thank you.... it worked

0 Kudos
Newbie mazinm2006

It works , Thank
0 Kudos
Newbie tkmallik

I too had the same problem using Windows 8 64 bit, but the bin\nt\xsetup.exe worked for me. 

0 Kudos
Newbie adamz

Hy!

Same problem no error or "why shut down" message, just closing the licence manager if i click on the copy button. I can not solve it with virtual machines or bin/nt/xinstall method.

In witch folder must i copy the lic file in case of manual activation?

Or how can is activate my lic without the manager?

Please help me out, thanks: Adam.

ISE 14.4, W8, x64.

0 Kudos
Newbie keithjrome

If the Copy License button is crashing the license manager for you in Windows 8, then try using the 32-bit version of the license manager. This seemed to work for me, although I am worried I might find other problems later.

To run the 32-bit version, go to C:\Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\common\bin\nt (assuming you installed to C:\Xilinx), and run xlcm.exe from there.

I also had some installer crashes during initial setup that were fixed by unchecking the box to use multiple cores for the installer.

This is with Windows 8 64-bit, RTM (not the preview version). I also happen to be running it as my Boot Camp partition on a Mac (Mountain Lion) within Parallels, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Observer particle
Observer

I would also like to echo that ISE 14.4's 64-bit project navigator appears to be broken on Windows 8 but that the 32-bit version works fine.  The installer makes shortcuts to both in the start menu, however, so it's not hard to launch the 32-bit version.  For me, Project Navigator would evaporate as soon as I would click on the Open Project menu item under File (or used the equivalent toolbar icon).

0 Kudos
Observer particle
Observer

Revision:  The 32-bit project navigator works, but since you can't use the 32-bit version of Impact on a 64-bit computer (it won't find the cable driver) and the open file dialog causes the 64-bit programs to crash, it doesn't seem possible to actually program a device on a 64-bit W8 machine.

0 Kudos
Observer particle
Observer

I've come up with a workaround that seems to do the trick under 64-bit Windows 8 and ISE 14.4.

1)  Install 14.4 like normal

2)  Use the 32-bit version of Project Navigator to do your editing and compiling

3)  Launch the 32-bit version of Impact (Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\impact.exe)

4)  Launch the 64-bit version of the Remote Cable Server (Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64\cse_server.exe)

5)  Configure Impact to connect to a remote cable server at localhost (explained below)

6)  Initialize your chain, assign a configuration, and program as normal from that point on

The problem we're facing under Windows 8 64-bit is with the open file dialog.  The platform cable driver itself works fine.  Since you can't open a configuration file in 64-bit Impact without it crashing, it's necessary to use the 32-bit version.  The 32-bit version does not have this open file dialog glitch.  Since the 32-bit version can't interface with the 64-bit platform cable, it's necessary to use the remote cable server instead.  This steps around the issue.

If you haven't used the remote cable server before, here is what you need to do:   You can launch the cable server by running cse_server.exe in your nt64 folder (Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64\cse_server.exe).  At that point, go ahead and plug in your platform cable and let any drivers install if you're using a USB platform cable.  I don't think the parallel version will show anything on screen.  At that point, run the 32-bit version of Impact.  On a 64-bit computer no shortcut will have been made, but you can simply run it from your nt folder (Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\Impact.exe).  Double click on boundary scan like normal.  At that point you will have new menu options under the Output menu; select "Cable setup".  Select the type of cable you're using in the Communication Mode section and then select the "Remote" cable location below.  Type localhost into the "Host Name" box and click OK.  At this point, you should be able to use Impact like normal.

Newbie adamz

thx, the 32bit version works fine!

0 Kudos
Newbie amaxste

I'm pretty sure that, for now, Xilinx in Windows 8 is not a complete solution.

My problem is with the ISE and EDK. ISE is automatically closed when I try to open a project or something, the EDK (Platform Studio) too.

xps.gui erros.

open project errors.

explore XPS tutorials errors.

in EDK, doesn`t create bitstream, doesn't export to SDK... etc etc etc.

So, I hope that Xilinx team will release a solution for Windows 8 soon.

;)

0 Kudos
Observer rvincentzio
Observer

agreed, hope somebody at Xilinx reads this

0 Kudos
Newbie jmedma

It is needed a Windows 8 version of Xilinx software (there has been more than time enough to adapt it), definetly!!!

Xilinx...just do it (copyright: adidas).

0 Kudos
Newbie dkrao410

Re: Xilinx ISE installation problem on windows8

I had tried installing versions of Xilinx ISE 13.2  on my windows8 operating system .During installation 

error shown: _Xsetup.exe has stopped working.

windows will find it out soon

I have consulted Microsoft reg the same, they suggested to contact Xilinx.

Please tell me the solution.

0 Kudos
Observer nachum
Observer

For everyone trying to use Xilinx ISE 14.5 in Windows 8 x64. Rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig, and copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll.

Do this in:

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64 (copy dll from first location)

This turns off SmartHeap.

This will fix ISE and iMPACT crashes on file dialogs.

Nachum

This information was found from another thread, thank you howardp from Xilinx in this thread:

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/crawl_message?board.id=DEENBD&message.id=1732

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Newbie mleone

nachum,

Thanks for this. I can confirm this worked with my machine a Lenovo Y400 Windows 8 and ISE 14.5.

0 Kudos
Observer pstelian2011
Observer

Thank you nachum; Vivado is still not working. I have now Vivado 2013.2 x32 working, but x64 still crashing. Do you know a solution for that?

I did: D:\Xilinx\Vivado\2013.2\bin\unwrapped\win64.o\vvgl.exe D:\Xilinx\Vivado\2013.2\.\bin\vivado.bat -m32 (just add -m32)

than click on tha icon and set Compatibility to Windows 7 and checked "Run this program as an administrator"

This is needed because xil software guys build a protection; when I run start_gui I get:

ERROR: [Common 17-612] start_gui is not supported on Windows8.

Quite unusual from xil, in place of fixing the problem they forbid you to start the app in win8!? :(

stelian

0 Kudos