UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Historian
Historian

Re: Xilinx ISE installation problem on windows8

pstelian2011 wrote:

Quite unusual from xil, in place of fixing the problem they forbid you to start the app in win8!? :(

The "they" is not Xilinx, it's Microsoft.

One of the rather more difficult things for a developer to handle in Windows 8 is all of the new permissions requirements. And the reason why a lot of older software doesn't run in Windows 8 is because they don't know anything about that stuff.

Developers have to go in and add it. And that's easier if the application was written in .NET or whatever standard Windows thing from the beginning. The Xilinx tools are cross-platform (they run on Linux as well as Windows) so the translation layer which allows that all to happen has to be updated to support Windows 8. That likely hasn't happened yet, or if it has, Xilinx still hasn't been able to implement it.

I bet it's a vexing programming issue.

My WAG is that 15.1 or upcoming versions of Vivado will support Win8.

Which we have no intention of using until lots of hardware support issues are resolved and they get rid of that godforsaken **bleep**ty interface.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos

Re: Xilinx ISE installation problem on windows8 Release Preview

the setup file in nt folder in bin also did not work for me.i have a windows 8 hp pavillion laptop.i just cant get this installed on my comp.

plz help.

@hanismarty wrote:

EVERYONE, to make Xilinx work in Windows 8, lauch the ise.exe from the ''nt'' folder which is for 32-bit not ''nt64'' and download ModelSim Simulator, there is a free student version you can use since iSim doesnt work on windows 8.

in brief, on Windows 8, run Xilinx in 32-bit with ModelSim instead of iSim.

I tried it and it worked!

0 Kudos
Newbie billynguyen

me too. Have you solved that problem yes? If yes, can you tell me the way?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I also have Windows 8 and installed Vivado. The installation went fine, license manager bugged a bit but found a workaround.

I can start Vivado HLS, but I can't start Vivado. When I manually locate "Vivado.bat" and run it, it stops with "start_gui is not supported on Windows8".

Would rather not dual boot windows 7 AND windows 8 on a limited size SSD drive.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

ok I tried a combination of things:

changed the desktop shortcut path from

"C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2013.2\bin\unwrapped\win64.o\vvgl.exe C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2013.2\.\bin\vivado.bat"

to

"C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2013.2\bin\unwrapped\win32.o\vvgl.exe C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2013.2\.\bin\vivado.bat"

then I went to the vivado.exe located in the win32.o folder and changed compatibility mode to Windows 7.

Used the shortcut on the desktop again and got Vivado to start.

So far I've only tried opening an example project, and creating a new project myself, so I don't know how much of the program will work. So far so good at least.

0 Kudos
Observer r2d290
Observer

This worked! Thanks

0 Kudos
Newbie thnords

Thanks to nachum I'm now now able to run ISE, but it still seems like Plan Ahead does not work properly.

Do I need to do something similar on Plan Ahead?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Newbie yousefamar

Thanks rafaelcatrou, you saved my life! I have an assignment due in a few weeks for university and needed to work with my Spartan 6 FPGA at home. Because of you I will pass this module!

0 Kudos
Newbie azubair

Hello guys,

Help needed.

USB cable is not working in Windows 8 for IMPACT

When I try to initialize the chain I get :Error:IMPACT 923 Can not find cable,check cable setup

In Windows device manager , I get "The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)" when i try to install the driver.

I am using ISE 14.4.

Please help me out.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Check this link: http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/crawl_message?board.id=DEENBD&message.id=1732
It may help you.

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Newbie azubair

Oh Ok I got it followed this solution

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/44397.html

Thanks

0 Kudos
Newbie dinardo

Does anyone have tried to install Xilinx 14.7 on Windows 8 ?

I'm having several errors of the type:

ProjectMgmt:387 - TOE: ITclInterp::ExecuteCmd gave Tcl result 'invalid command name "_GetPropertyType"'.

Both with 32 and 64 bit ISE versions.

Does anyone have an idea on how to solve the issue ?

Many thanks,

- Mauro.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

When are you encountering this issue?
If the issue is seen while opening a old project, the cause may be due to corrupt project. Try creating a new project.

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@dinardo wrote:

Does anyone have tried to install Xilinx 14.7 on Windows 8 ?

I suggest you do a search here. This question has been asked and answered about 125 times.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Newbie sidray

This is the problem I am facing too. I tried installing ise 13.1 and have the exact same issue. _xsetup.exe stops working. Please help.

0 Kudos
Newbie naveed.khan

0 Kudos
Newbie wonderwill

particle,

I would like to extend my thanks! I just spent the last 2 hours troubleshooting this issue and ended up uninstalling/reinstalling Vivado and ISE several times before stumbling upon your fix, which worked flawlessly on the first try. Way to go!!! Saving my life, one comment at a time, lol.

--Wonderwill

0 Kudos
Newbie fncheung

Thank you for these suggestions, they were very helpful to me.  I was able to get ISE running with the libPortability.dll replacement trick.

Planahead still crashed on me, but I believe I have found a solution.  It was failing at the point where it starts the GUI, and I was getting the Java error others have reported.  The solution, like the other fixes, seems to be forcing it to load in 32-bit.

Edit the file: C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\PlanAhead\bin\loader.bat

Look for this section of code in the loader.bat file:

set RDI_OS_ARCH=32
if [%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%] == [x86] (
  if defined PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 (
    set RDI_OS_ARCH=64
  )
) else (
  if defined PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE (
    set RDI_OS_ARCH=64
  )
)

And remark out all the lines after the first one, like so:

set RDI_OS_ARCH=32
rem if [%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%] == [x86] (
rem   if defined PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 (
rem     set RDI_OS_ARCH=64
rem   )
rem ) else (
rem   if defined PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE (
rem     set RDI_OS_ARCH=64
rem   )
rem )

This allowed Planahead to launch and so far has been working fine.

Hope this helps others who are trying to use Xilinx in Windows 8.

Cheers,

Frank Cheung

Newbie martinallen

brilliant - thanks

0 Kudos
Newbie jmedma

Despite sometimes is not working, many other works...which is a great advance compared to...nothing up to now besided Xilinx.

So, great contribution Frank.

0 Kudos
Visitor d235j
Visitor

While using libportabilityNOSH.dll works for ISE, this is not an option for PlanAhead as it directly links SmartHeap.

However, Vivado 2014.1 and newer officially support Windows 8, and still use SmartHeap. This means the SmartHeap DLLs have been updated for Windows 8 in Vivado 2014.1+.

We can fix the issue completely by replacing the SmartHeap DLLs that come with ISE 14.7 with those from Vivado. The attached script will do this automatically if ISE is installed in the default path on the C: drive. If not, modify the path at the top of the script to point to the proper location.

I really hope Xilinx pushes out a patch to ISE that does this. It should not take much effort and would make it work on an operating system that's nearly two years old.

Hope this is useful!

Visitor frankoman
Visitor

I was able to get xilinx to work on 8.1 by following the same process of installing in the nt setup, however I cannot download to any boards for it can't find cable drivers. Any solutions?

0 Kudos
Newbie 201003312

0 Kudos
Visitor lutzek
Visitor

I try to install ISE 11.1 on Windows 8, but when i double click on xsetup.exe, it simply don't run. And now what ? (I just downloaded it from Xilinx website and unzip it, without burning on DVD).

0 Kudos
Newbie harrkev

This is just a general comment, but I am trying to do a project with a older Spartan FPGA.  My computer runs Windows 8.1. I have had nothing but trouble, so I am giving up.  This thread has been around for TWO YEARS, and still ISE does not oficially support Windows 8.  I can't use PlanAhead because, for some unknown reason, you cannot make Coregen DCM modules using PlanAhead -- only ISE (and I had to google why the hell I could not have Coregen make a DCM in PlanAhead).  What a mess!

Here is my impression of Xilinx:

"You have a new OS, but want to develope for older hardware?  SCREW YOU!"

No, I am not a high-volume customer right now.  I am a "hobbyist" having fun at home in the evenings, but my day job is to use my MSEE to help design custom silicon for a well-known company.  Now, to figure out how to unload my three or four Xilinx FPGA boards on some unsuspecting fool and get some Altera Boards, where they know how to make software that works.

Yes, I am pissed.  I wasted several hours trying to get the ISE simulator to work -- time that I could have been using to work on my design, or spend time with my wife and kids.  The "Windows 8 is a new OS" excuse worked well two years ago, but not any more.  Would it REALLY be that hard to shoe-horn support for Virtex and Spartan devices into Vivaldo?

I got my start making a FibreChannel display board using a Virtex 2.  A few years ago, I was prototyping an ASIC for a network device using a Virtex 5 (thanks for the built-in SERDES).  It was fun while it lasted, Xilinx, but I sense your lack of commitment to our relationship.

Sorry for the rant, but I am just tired of banging by head against the wall trying to use these stupid FPGAs.  The next time I buy an FPGA board, it will NOT be from a company that I know will drop support whenever they feel like it.

0 Kudos

D235J's solution works for me. Seems to have fixed everything that was wrong with 14.7 under win 8.1... Thanks! 

Bill
0 Kudos
Newbie liv216

Thanks for this post :)

0 Kudos
Visitor sembarc_xil
Visitor

Thanks d235j. Despite all the suggestions of fixes for ISE. I found it difficult for any help with EDK(xps) on Windows 8. i manually tried the portability fix but that didn't fix it. Your magical fix made everything work. Shame that that script couldn't of been added at the end of the standard install from xilinx. It would of saved a lot of people a lot of hastle. Thanks again.

0 Kudos

The fix is great.

However, be sure to unzip it in a path with no spaces or the batch file will fail.

0 Kudos
Newbie rushabh@

Hey guys. please help me.. i got tdownload zip file posted by d235j but i am not getting it that where i have to place and where i should save... and i am getting error of

_pn.exe has stopped working

0 Kudos