Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Xilinx RFSoC license

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am using Vivado System Edition under a university license. I was able to generate bit files until a few days back for the RFSoC device 28DR and now it gives me the error "[Common 17-345] A valid license was not found for a feature 'Synthesis' and/or device 'xcuzu28dr'. ...

I am having a valid system edition license so I am thinking of this error being generated by the expiration of 28DR RFSoC license. 

But when researched it seems that the system edition license now includes support for RFSoCs. Could anyone who is aware confirm if this is the case?

If RFSoCs are supported by the edition of the system, can anyone suggest how to resolve the error?

Thank you for your help.

Viduneth

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @viduneth ,

I just had a meeting with Miriam and the admin team and the licensing issue should be sorted now.

Please give this ago and all should be sorted now.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

HI @viduneth 

Yes according to the table 1 of UG973, all Ultrascale+ RFSoC devices are supported in Vivado Design Suite with a System Edition:

florentw_0-1606392901775.png

So if the Vivado System Edition license is correctly picked up you should be able to run synthesis.

Can you provide the xinfo.txt file generated with the following command:

report_environment -file xinfo.txt

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I am attaching the output of the report_environment command.

Thanks again for your help on this matter.

0 Kudos

HI @viduneth 

The license seems to be found correctly.

However I believe it is supposed to have a line synthesis which is not the case.

@anatoli do you know what could be the reason for a system edition license not to add the synthesis feature?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

Hello @viduneth ,

Can you please open a command prompt and CD to the location such as e.g.: ../xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/bin/unwrapped/lnx64.o

Then, from here, please run this command: lmutil lmstat –a –c <port_number>@<server_name> -i (e.g. lmutil lmstat –a –c 51771@xilinxlm.coe.neu.edu -i)

Then please see if lmgrd is UP and xilinxd is UP too and then, see what version of flexlm utilities the server is/was started with? Do you see v11.14 for both lmgrd and xilinxd?

Also, please run this command: lmutil lmstat -a -c 51771@xilinxlm.coe.neu.edu -f Synthesis

What do you see by running the above commands? Please share a screenshot for each output. Thanks

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks @florentw and @anatoli.

Hello @anatoli,

Please see the attached screenshot. I am getting an error when lmutil is executed with the license server path. 

I am not sure why this happens. Your thoughts are much appreciated. 

thank you,

Viudneth

lmutil_out.JPG
0 Kudos

Hello @viduneth ,

Please ask your floating license admin to share the lmgrd log file.

It should give a reason why the license was not started.

Your FL license admin may also need specific return port for the xilinxd daemon, within the license file, as outlined in AR 33115 and then do a second local forward for the same port.

As stated in the AR, for a firewall configuration, the return port also needs to be specified/fixed so the listener port can be opened on the firewall. To make the listener port specification, floating license admin needs to edit your current floating license file and specify the port of the vendor daemon line using "port=<#####>" syntax, as shown in my example below (which specifies to use port 2222 as the listener port):

VENDOR xilinxd c:\Xilinx\Licensing\xilinxd.exe port=2222

(If 2222 port above isn’t free on firewall or used by another application, try using any other random port that is unblocked on firewall)

(Please note that VENDOR xilinxd Port=2222 would be incomplete line (i.e. missing the <location>\xilinxd.exe’ and the syntax would become incorrect. So FL license admin can do the same as shown in my example line above. Note: c:\Xilinx\Licensing\xilinxd.exe is the location of my XILINXD vendor daemon (should be located in the same location where your LMGRD is located). Therefore, a full path to your xilinxd.exe location needs to be specified)

Once your license is modified, save the file and then you’d need to stop and start the floating license server. Your floating license server admin will know what needs to be done to get this stopped and re-started (or reread). 

Once done, you (as a client machine) should then be able detect and obtain your floating license features from the floating server.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

@mleeser 

Hello @viduneth ,

I've added Miriam to this thread, as I have a separate request from XUP to also help on the same issue you've raised for the same topic.

Based on the Xinfo and the lic file that i've received from Miriam, in your lic file, i see this:

image.png

2 issues I see from this.

First, you are pointing your XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE using 51771@xilinxlm.coe.neu.edu

However, this should be changed to this instead 2100@roebling.coe.neu.edu as this is what is in your lic file.

Based on the lic file, instead of using LMGRD related listening port 2100, you are incorrectly using the XILINXD vendor daemon return port 51771. That won't work in this case.

Secondary, as explained in the previous post, VENDOR xilinxd PORT=51771 is incomplete line and the syntax is incorrect too.

Please modify this from VENDOR xilinxd PORT=51771 to VENDOR <full_path_to_xilinxd_v11.14.1>\xilinxd.exe port=51771
Once done and saved, stop and then restart the FL license server (not just reread it).

After that, please point your XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE using 2100@roebling.coe.neu.edu and your issue should be sorted then.

You should also then do lmutil lmstat –a –c 2100@roebling.coe.neu.edu -i and see if you can now see a valid output from the server.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hello again @viduneth ,

Based on the license file, I've found out that the reason why your license isn’t working is because your Vivado_System_Edition license has the PACKAGE section that is NOT related to the same license file.

image.png

As you can see below, your INCREMENT Vivado_System_Edition section states that your license has the version limit of 2021.11 (November 2021) and you have 100 seats.

However, its PACKAGE section isn’t for this license and for some other license altogether, as below the PACKAGE section shows totally different version limit of 2021.01 (January 2021).

So, please ask your admin to paste the PACKAGE section that has the version limit of 2021.11 in it.

Please note that just changing the version limit (within the license file) won’t work, as the info is imbedded into the hash code of the license file, so manually updating this within the lic file will just break the license syntax altogether.

I've asked Miriam to ask your floating license admin (Greg Anderson) to obtain the original copy of this license (that would have the INCREMENT section and its correspondent PACKAGE section) and update the license file using the correct licenses.

I have a feeling that your license should have x2 INCREMENT Vivado_System_Edition sections and x2 PACKAGE sections, i.e. one for the Vivado_System_Edition license with the version limit of 2021.11 and 1 – for Vivado_System_Edition with the 2021.01 version limits.

Anyhow, we have asked Greg to log into www.xilinx.com/getlicenses and obtain these individual 2 Vivado_System_Edition licenses and update your current license file with the correct licenses instead.

This will fix your issue then and you will not longer see a licensing issue in Vivado.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks a lot Anatoli for digging deep into this. 

We will work with Greg and hopefully it will work (the surprise is all of this was working two weeks ago with the same license server and 51771 port).

0 Kudos

Hello @viduneth ,

I just had a meeting with Miriam and the admin team and the licensing issue should be sorted now.

Please give this ago and all should be sorted now.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

View solution in original post

Visitor
Visitor

Hi @anatoli 

Everything works fine now. 

Thanks again for your help in fixing the problem.

Regards,

Viduneth