cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Xilinx Unified Installer 2020.1 - Exception in thread "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE" - Ubuntu

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I'm trying to install Vivado 2020.1 on Ubuntu 20.04. I know 20.04 isn't officially supported, but this appears like this would be an issue with all versions. 2019.2 works fine on 20.04. The error message I am getting when running the web installer, or ./xsetup is attached.

Any ideas on what's going wrong here?

Screenshot from 2020-06-04 21-28-43.png
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Xilinx Unified Installer 2020.1 - Exception in thread "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE" - Ubuntu

Jump to solution
By faking /etc/os-release to VERSION="18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver)" I can get the setup gui to startup

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Xilinx Unified Installer 2020.1 - Exception in thread "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE" - Ubuntu

Jump to solution

Hi @mxm1898,

The Installer has been tested on all the supported OSes and it was working fine. Can you please give it a try using Ubuntu 18.04.4. I suspect that either it is an OS specific issue or an environment setup issue.

Thanks,

Aravind.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
I am also getting the same issue with both the web installer and tarball setup program, on Arch linux.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
By faking /etc/os-release to VERSION="18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver)" I can get the setup gui to startup

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Jump to solution

There should be some serious hack inside the installer if this is a problem...

Batch installation works.

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @agovinda,

It does in fact work on the correct version - it also does work by faking the version as suggested by @anfractuosity by faking /etc/os-release to VERSION="18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the pop up that informs you that you are using an unsupported version?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
@agovinda, @anfractuosity, @mxm1898: I had the same issue on RHEL 7.3 and worked around it by faking /etc/os-release to RHEL 7.4.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I got a similar java message related to X11 display.

I got around this by running a batch install mode instead of gui install.  Tools seem to work fine.

Specific instructions are:

1. Download complete install and uncompress
  2. go to uncompressed top directory and run sudo ./xsetup --batch Install --location /tools/Xilinx/ --agree 3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms,XilinxEULA --edition "Vitis Unified Software Platform"
  3. It will later ask you which edition you want to install

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

If it works by faking /etc/os-release, it can't be an os-specific issue or an environmental setup issue. It has to be an issue specifically with the java installer throwing the exception popup. So does Xilinx want to fix their broken java installer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution
Thanks @jzoomer

Installing 2020.1 using batch mode works in Fedora 31. However, the os-release hack didn't work.

-Pat
https://tuxengineering.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

To clarify re. changing the os-release file, because I'm using archlinux I copied the whole file for a Ubuntu release with VERSION '18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver' I've included the full file below:

NAME="Ubuntu"

VERSION="18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"

ID=ubuntu

ID_LIKE=debian

PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS"

VERSION_ID="18.04"

HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"

SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"

BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"

PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"

VERSION_CODENAME=bionic

UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Linux Mint 19.3 here. The os-release hack is not working for me, either. Batch mode is not an option because of disk space, unless there is some way to select exactly what to install from batch mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hi @blumeraluna 

The batch mode allows selection of devices and other settings, by editing the generated configuration file. Look in page 52-53 of ug973 for details.

Thanks,

-Pat

https://tuxengineering.com
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks @patocarr . Unfortunately, it doesn't get far enough to produce a configuration file as shown below. I have 50G free.

vivado.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @blumeraluna,

Can you confirm that you are indeed using the below commands:

./xsetup -b ConfigGen

This will ask for the required edition and once selected, it will generate a configuration file on your home directory. You can modify the configuration file to update the required destination, devices/tools to be installed etc.

If you had directly tried to install using -b "Install", then it would pick defaults for all settings and would have error out since you didnt have enough disk space in /opt/xilinx.

Thanks,

Aravind.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks @agovinda for the information.

I was able to get it installed through batch mode. These are the steps I went through in case anyone else wants a reference.

I downloaded the Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208_Lin64.bin file from the Xilinx site to my /tmp directory and ran it. You may have to run 'chmod +x /tmp/Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208_Lin64.bin'.

I went through some contortions to keep around the expanded installation tarball, but it looks like you can just do this to extract it:

% mkdir /tmp/xilinx
% cd /tmp/xilinx
% /tmp/Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208_Lin64.bin --tar xvf

Then I ran this (still in the /tmp/xilinx directory): ./xsetup -b ConfigGen

It produced a ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt file. I edited that file as needed and turned off all the modules except the Artix-7 set that I need.

I then had to run: ./xsetup -b AuthTokenGen

After it produces the token, be careful about doing anything in your web browser at the Xilinx site. It seems that logging in/out using the browser messes up this token. At least it looks like it did for me, so I had to produce another one and leave the browser alone.

Then I ran this, and it worked fine: ./xsetup -b Install --agree 3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms,XilinxEULA -c ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt

After the install and after I deleted /opt/Xilinx/Downloads/Vivado_2020.1, the disk free space was at 22 GiB from the original 50 GiB.