cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mxm1898
Visitor
Visitor

Xilinx Unified Installer 2020.1 - Exception in thread "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE" - Ubuntu

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I'm trying to install Vivado 2020.1 on Ubuntu 20.04. I know 20.04 isn't officially supported, but this appears like this would be an issue with all versions. 2019.2 works fine on 20.04. The error message I am getting when running the web installer, or ./xsetup is attached.

Any ideas on what's going wrong here?

Screenshot from 2020-06-04 21-28-43.png
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anfractuosity
Visitor
Visitor
By faking /etc/os-release to VERSION="18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver)" I can get the setup gui to startup

View solution in original post

31 Replies
agovinda
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mxm1898,

The Installer has been tested on all the supported OSes and it was working fine. Can you please give it a try using Ubuntu 18.04.4. I suspect that either it is an OS specific issue or an environment setup issue.

Thanks,

Aravind.

0 Kudos
anfractuosity
Visitor
Visitor
I am also getting the same issue with both the web installer and tarball setup program, on Arch linux.
0 Kudos
anfractuosity
Visitor
Visitor
By faking /etc/os-release to VERSION="18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver)" I can get the setup gui to startup

View solution in original post

wgabor
Contributor
Contributor

There should be some serious hack inside the installer if this is a problem...

Batch installation works.

mxm1898
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @agovinda,

It does in fact work on the correct version - it also does work by faking the version as suggested by @anfractuosity by faking /etc/os-release to VERSION="18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the pop up that informs you that you are using an unsupported version?

tonyle
Contributor
Contributor
@agovinda, @anfractuosity, @mxm1898: I had the same issue on RHEL 7.3 and worked around it by faking /etc/os-release to RHEL 7.4.
0 Kudos
jzoomer

I got a similar java message related to X11 display.

I got around this by running a batch install mode instead of gui install.  Tools seem to work fine.

Specific instructions are:

1. Download complete install and uncompress
  2. go to uncompressed top directory and run sudo ./xsetup --batch Install --location /tools/Xilinx/ --agree 3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms,XilinxEULA --edition "Vitis Unified Software Platform"
  3. It will later ask you which edition you want to install

phummel
Visitor
Visitor

If it works by faking /etc/os-release, it can't be an os-specific issue or an environmental setup issue. It has to be an issue specifically with the java installer throwing the exception popup. So does Xilinx want to fix their broken java installer?

0 Kudos
patocarr
Teacher
Teacher
Thanks @jzoomer

Installing 2020.1 using batch mode works in Fedora 31. However, the os-release hack didn't work.

-Pat

Give kudos if helpful. Accept as solution if it solves your problem.
https://tuxengineering.com/blog

anfractuosity
Visitor
Visitor

To clarify re. changing the os-release file, because I'm using archlinux I copied the whole file for a Ubuntu release with VERSION '18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver' I've included the full file below:

NAME="Ubuntu"

VERSION="18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"

ID=ubuntu

ID_LIKE=debian

PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS"

VERSION_ID="18.04"

HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"

SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"

BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"

PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"

VERSION_CODENAME=bionic

UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

blumeraluna
Observer
Observer

Linux Mint 19.3 here. The os-release hack is not working for me, either. Batch mode is not an option because of disk space, unless there is some way to select exactly what to install from batch mode.

0 Kudos
patocarr
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @blumeraluna 

The batch mode allows selection of devices and other settings, by editing the generated configuration file. Look in page 52-53 of ug973 for details.

Thanks,

-Pat

Give kudos if helpful. Accept as solution if it solves your problem.
https://tuxengineering.com/blog

blumeraluna
Observer
Observer

Thanks @patocarr . Unfortunately, it doesn't get far enough to produce a configuration file as shown below. I have 50G free.

vivado.jpg

0 Kudos
agovinda
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @blumeraluna,

Can you confirm that you are indeed using the below commands:

./xsetup -b ConfigGen

This will ask for the required edition and once selected, it will generate a configuration file on your home directory. You can modify the configuration file to update the required destination, devices/tools to be installed etc.

If you had directly tried to install using -b "Install", then it would pick defaults for all settings and would have error out since you didnt have enough disk space in /opt/xilinx.

Thanks,

Aravind.

0 Kudos
blumeraluna
Observer
Observer

Thanks @agovinda for the information.

I was able to get it installed through batch mode. These are the steps I went through in case anyone else wants a reference.

I downloaded the Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208_Lin64.bin file from the Xilinx site to my /tmp directory and ran it. You may have to run 'chmod +x /tmp/Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208_Lin64.bin'.

I went through some contortions to keep around the expanded installation tarball, but it looks like you can just do this to extract it:

% mkdir /tmp/xilinx
% cd /tmp/xilinx
% /tmp/Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208_Lin64.bin --tar xvf

Then I ran this (still in the /tmp/xilinx directory): ./xsetup -b ConfigGen

It produced a ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt file. I edited that file as needed and turned off all the modules except the Artix-7 set that I need.

I then had to run: ./xsetup -b AuthTokenGen

After it produces the token, be careful about doing anything in your web browser at the Xilinx site. It seems that logging in/out using the browser messes up this token. At least it looks like it did for me, so I had to produce another one and leave the browser alone.

Then I ran this, and it worked fine: ./xsetup -b Install --agree 3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms,XilinxEULA -c ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt

After the install and after I deleted /opt/Xilinx/Downloads/Vivado_2020.1, the disk free space was at 22 GiB from the original 50 GiB.

pmuran

Can confirm that spoofing the /etc/os-release as suggested by @anfractuosity  for me on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS x86_64.

@agovinda , when can we expect a fix for this bug? You've known about it for months now. 

0 Kudos
agovinda
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pmuran,

Since this issue is seen in an unsupported OS, we don't plan to release a patch to fix this. But this issue was indeed reported as a bug as soon as it was reported in the Forums. Its fixed in our upcoming 2020.2 Tool release. Please look forward to it.

Thanks,

Aravind. 

pmuran

Hello @agovinda ,

That is great news! I'll look forward to it. Do you know when you expect to release the 2020.2 version?

0 Kudos
agovinda
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pmuran,

The estimated release date of 2020.2 version is during Nov 2020, but it may vary if there is any critical issues.

Thanks,

Aravind. 

0 Kudos
petrot
Visitor
Visitor
Thanks for this accurate answer that worked on my Debian unstable.
0 Kudos
alh1027
Observer
Observer

This installation error also effects 2020.1 installs on Ubuntu 16.04.07.  Actually I installed on Ubuntu 16.04.6 and an update took the OS to 16.04.7 and the uninstaller for Vitis 2020.1 crashed.  I checked that the installer gave the same message as the OP and that the fix (changing the VERSION= line to VERSION="16.04.6 LTS (Xenial Xerus)" ) allowed the installer to proceed. 

0 Kudos
wgabor
Contributor
Contributor

16.04.07 is not officially supported by Xilinx, what we expect... (sarcasm: Besides that at least that the point releases containing  security and bug fixes should also be supported - I am really suspicious about Xilinx's QA...)

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello All,

Please be aware that this behaviour with Exception in thread "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE" is addressed in the next 2020.2 version of Vivado (and newer versions). You should not see this behaviour with the newer Vivado/Vitis releases.

However, once again, installing Xilinx tools on one of the unsupported Operating Systems is not officially support, which means Xilinx didn't test Xilinx tools on these unsupported OSs, so there could be other issues on the line, even if you can successfully install Vivado/Vitis on an unsupported OS.

The recommendation is always to try and use one of the supported OS as provided in UG973: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_1/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

i.e.

image.png

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
rfried
Visitor
Visitor

This os_release doesn't work:

NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="18.04.5 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS"
VERSION_ID="18.04"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

Change it to this os_release will work:

NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS"
VERSION_ID="18.04"
VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

It makes no sense to force us to avoid security upgrades across LTS releases.

Please fix your SW. this is ridiculous.

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @rfried ,

As already indicated in my previous reply, this behaviour with Exception in thread "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE" is addressed in the next 2020.2 version of Vivado (and newer versions). You should not see this behaviour with the newer Vivado/Vitis releases, from 2020.2 and newer.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
wgabor
Contributor
Contributor

So one should buy a complete new version of your software because a banal bug exists in the installer or stay on a possibly insecure OS (while a new point release exists). Or you have to work it around by doing cartwheels at midnight.

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @wgabor ,

Xilinx tools, like Vivado and Vitis are FREE. You don't need to purchase it.

And indeed, if you wish to overcome this issue in the previous version of Vivado, and if you are using an Unsupported OS, you'd at least need to install it in the batch mode or to use a workaround that was suggested by other users, or to use a supported OS.

This pop up dialog is only new and wasn't implemented not that long ago, as many users have requested to have a way of our software to detect (at early stage) the fact that their OS isn't a supported OS, to avoid going forward and do the installation and then encounter issues someone down the line when using our tools. So, we (Xilinx) have provided this Pop Up dialog box to help out our users, to indicate the fact that their OS has been identified as unsupported OS. It is then up to the users to continue with installation (which is not recommended) or not.

Yes, hitting OK of this dialog pop up, to continues, caused this SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE and that was identified as an issue that we have now addressed.

Again, this is a new implementation, so an issue such as this possible. And thanks to you and other users for reporting this to us, so that we have now permanently addressed this going forward.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused and have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
wgabor
Contributor
Contributor

Well, if I use Vivado for a bigger FPGA (not as a hobbyist but as a paying customer from the industry), then no, it is not free. Having to update (purchase) a license to a more recent version just because there is a comical bug (not a major release happened in the upstream Ubuntu, please do understand) in the INSTALLER seems to be a bit unelegant.

But if Xilinx has no problems with this, what can we do?

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hi @wgabor ,

Thanks for your feedback.

If you take Ubuntu 18.04.5 as an example. Ubuntu 18.04.5 was released after Vivado/Vitis 2020.1 was release, so Xilinx didn't test it with an OS that was not available. There are many OS updates happening off sync with Vivado releases, so Xilinx can't test all of the possible versions that are out there...

Anyhow, we really appreciate our customers' feedback.

Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos