UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor gandrewstone
Visitor

[bug report] Running Vivado 2018.3 on Ubuntu 16.04 with multiple monitors fails

I'm pretty sure that this is a common issue caused by APIs moving to multi-monitor awareness.

There is a pretty simple but painful workaround: use "configure display settings" to disable all but one monitor while vivado is coming up.

Trace included below:

****** Vivado v2018.3 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 2405991 on Thu Dec  6 23:36:41 MST 2018
  **** IP Build 2404404 on Fri Dec  7 01:43:56 MST 2018
    ** Copyright 1986-2018 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

start_gui
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeAndWait(Unknown Source)
    at ui.PlanAhead.i(SourceFile:1505)
    at ui.PlanAhead.eq(SourceFile:585)
    at ui.PlanAhead.ex(SourceFile:881)
    at ui.PlanAhead.a(SourceFile:1609)
    at ui.frmwork.b.l.d(SourceFile:41)
    at ui.frmwork.HTclEventBroker.i(SourceFile:255)
    at ui.frmwork.HTclEventBroker.fireTclEvent(SourceFile:350)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Window must not be zero
    at java.desktop/sun.awt.X11.XAtom.checkWindow(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/sun.awt.X11.XAtom.getAtomData(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.getWorkArea(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.getInsets(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.getScreenInsets(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.getUsableBounds(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.getXineramaWindowBounds(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.getMaximumWindowBounds(Unknown Source)
    at com.jidesoft.utils.PortingUtils.getLocalScreenBounds(Unknown Source)
    at com.jidesoft.utils.PortingUtils.ensureVisible(Unknown Source)
    at com.jidesoft.action.DefaultDockableBarManager.m(Unknown Source)
    at com.jidesoft.action.DefaultDockableBarManager.f(Unknown Source)
    at com.jidesoft.action.DefaultDockableBarManager.resetToDefault(Unknown Source)
    at com.jidesoft.action.DefaultDockableBarManager.a(Unknown Source)
    at com.jidesoft.action.DefaultDockableBarManager.loadLayoutFrom(Unknown Source)
    at com.jidesoft.swing.AbstractLayoutPersistence.loadLayoutDataFrom(Unknown Source)
    at com.jidesoft.swing.AbstractLayoutPersistence.loadLayoutData(Unknown Source)
    at ui.q.ag(SourceFile:137)
    at ui.bm.bK(SourceFile:960)
    at ui.bm.<init>(SourceFile:161)
    at ui.de.a(SourceFile:1396)
    at ui.de.run(SourceFile:1359)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at ui.frmwork.b.d.dispatchEvent(SourceFile:88)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: [bug report] Running Vivado 2018.3 on Ubuntu 16.04 with multiple monitors fails

Hello @gandrewstone,

Can you confirm please, you have a physical PC with Ubuntu 16.04 OS on it and it is not a VM machine, am I right?

Also, have you had a Ubuntu 16.04 and Vivado 2018.2 with e.g. 3 display desktops, and everything was working fine, and the issue started once you’ve updated Vivado from 2018.2 to 2018.3 and this issue is began then? I just want to see if you see this behaviour with 2018.3 only or with any Vivado release with multiple displays connected?

As a workaround, you can disconnect the extra displays when you need to start up Vivado and turn them back on after you have the GUI running. Doing this it shouldn't cause any other issues and Vivado should run fine after.

I do have a physical Ubuntu 16.04 PC, and having more than one display connected to this PC, I had no issues in opening and using Vivado 2018.3, i.e.:

image.png

In your case, are you using a desktop rather than a laptop, as it doesn’t look like ubuntu supports 3 external monitors as a standard. It supports 2 external and 1 local monitor. 

As such, can you confirm on the above please? Thanks in advance

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Re: [bug report] Running Vivado 2018.3 on Ubuntu 16.04 with multiple monitors fails

Hello @gandrewstone,

Please note that this is a known issue and this has been reported and our Vivado GUI developers are aware of this failure and are currently working on solving this issue permanantly for the newer Vivado releases. I have also requested to see if there any other workaround rather than disconneting and re-connecting the displays, so I would be able to update you on this, once I get more info from them.

Thanks once again for reporting this issue to us and have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Visitor gandrewstone
Visitor

Sorry to report an already reported bug -- I was looking for the Vivado bug reporting system but could not find it.

I have a physical (not VM) desktop PC, with 3 monitors all being driven by a single graphics hard.  You don't have to actually disconnect the monitors, you can temporarily disable them using "Configure Display Settings".  I never used the prior versions of Vivado...

Visitor gandrewstone
Visitor

I'm actually running Ubuntu MATE... maybe that's the difference.
0 Kudos

Hello @gandrewstone,

Thanks for the info and for providing the other way to workaround this problem uing "Configure Display Settings". 

FYI - in 2018.3 and 2019.1, Xilinx tools move to Java9 and Vivado uses JDK 1.9.
Perhaps newer version of Java causes this issue? However as i'm not a developer, I can't really comment on this matter.

Anyhow, for now, if you are working with 2018.3, the only solution currently here is (when working with multiple desktops connected to a Linux machine), to temporarily disable them either using "Configure Display Settings" or manually unplug these from the machine, then start the Vivado GUI and then re-connect the monitors.

Once there are any further updates on this matter, I will keep you posted on this.

Have a nice day/evening.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Observer rmm92vt
Observer

Any updates on this issue? I experienced it myself for the first time back in March 2019 trying to run Vivado 2018.3 freshly installed on a brand new desktop with a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I also had three monitors connected to a single video card RTX2070 I believe. Received similar error messages to original post when launching Vivado which failed to open at all.

That desktop was returned for other mechanical and cooling fan issues. I now have a brand new Dell Precision running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with the same three monitors but with an NVIDIA Quadro P2000 video card this time. One of the first things I installed today while setting it up was Vivado 2019.1 hoping that the problem had been solved. It has not. Same exact problem:

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeAndWait(Unknown Source)
at ui.PlanAhead.i(SourceFile:1525)
at ui.PlanAhead.ev(SourceFile:613)
at ui.PlanAhead.eC(SourceFile:944)
at ui.PlanAhead.a(SourceFile:1631)
at ui.frmwork.b.l.d(SourceFile:42)
at ui.frmwork.HTclEventBroker.i(SourceFile:256)
at ui.frmwork.HTclEventBroker.fireTclEvent(SourceFile:351)

If it matters, my monitors are left-to-right: 24" (16x10) 27" (16x9) 24" (16x10). Maybe the mismatched aspect ratios are messing it up?

Please get this fixed soon. Tired of being stuck with outdated tools when I'm paying for current licenses.

0 Kudos

This problem persists even with the newer version of vivado 2019.1

I am attaching a snapshot of the problem.

I was previously using vivado 2018.2 which was working perfectly fine. Kindly let me know a work around for this problem.

installation option1.png
0 Kudos

Hello sreeram.sadasivam@scai.fraunhofer.de ,

I have reported this again and have highlighted that there is still an issue in relation to unable to start vivado gui when Multiple monitors are used.

Please leave this with me and I will update you once there are any updates.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

I have recently upgraded and am experiencing this issue with 2019.1 in CentOS 7.6.1810 (kernel 3.10.0-957.1.3.el7.x86_64).  Here's hoping for a solution soon--I can see this becoming irritating very quickly.

0 Kudos
Visitor kshark343
Visitor

Hi,

Can I please ask what is the current status of this bug? I am still experiencing the issue with Vivado 2019.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Cheers,

Fanpeng

0 Kudos
Mentor watari
Mentor

Hi @gandrewstone @anatoli 

I'm not familiar with Java application.

But it seems it doesn't consider different resolution when user uses multiple monitors.

So, would you change same resolution before running Vivado, if possible ?

Hi Xilinx

I suggest to consider use case of different resolution in installing stage and/or running stage.

Especially, when user install or upgrade Vivado with multiple monitors, this installer only uses single monitor.

Would you consider it ?

I guess it needs a few change of source code...

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Hello @kshark343 ,

Please note that in order for Xilinx to fix this permanently, this requires us to work with our third party Java developers and that is why it takes time to get this addressed. We are currently working with a JIDE Software Developer (i.e. Java developer) on implementing a permanent solution to this issue. We have confirmed with JIDE and hey have committed our fix to their next release which we expect to drop in time for the 2020.1 release of Vivado, however this is subject to change.

As such, this issue hasn't been addressed yet with the latest versions of Vivado, however that doesn't mean we are not doing anything on fixing this permanently.
For now, please use the current workarounds found in this forum thread, until this is fully and permanently addressed in the future versions of Vivado.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Use the patch here AR#72614 to work around this issue. Download the jar file and launch Vivado with the command line option (from AR#72614).

The underlying issue is that in Java 9 and above, the AWT will throw the exception when it encounters an Xlib window handle of zero. This is something that needs to be fixed in Java (there is an open bugcase for it). It affects most Linux distributions and can affect setups with any number of monitors (although we're mostly seeing it when there are at least three connected monitors.) The jar file and command line option patch (AR#72614) will work for 2018.3 and newer versions of Vivado.