Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmitrip
Visitor
Visitor

device-locked ISE

Hello, 

I am installing device-locked Xilinx ISE for our new ML605 evaluation board.  The license slip provided with the kit includes the phrase "ISE Design Suite: Logic Device Locked Edition, Node-Locked License." 

My concern is that I would like to install the device-locked ISE on two different desktops, but only use one at a time (one is easier to work on and the other is nearer the electronics bench).  The Getting Started guide tells me that I must specify a host ID and "the host ID can be a dongle serial number, Ethernet MAC address, or a disk volume ID." 

Any advice? 

Thank you. 

Dmitri

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

I haven't tried to license using a dongle, usually I use the host MAC address.  However it is

possible to install the tools on only the machine you normally find easier to work with and

then install the "Lab Tools" on the electronics bench machine.  You can then run the

"cable server" on the bench machine and run ChipScope or Impact remotely from your

licensed machine.  The Lab Tools do not require a license.  Of course this works only if

the two computers are on the same local area network.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
anatoli

Hi,

Here is some other advice:

To license multiple machines with one node-locked license, consider using a FLEX ID dongle. 

For more information, refer to the Licensing, Download and Installation FAQ page.  This topic is covered under "Using a Node-Locked License -> What is the preferred ID (MAC address, drive serial number, or dongle) to lock a Node-Locked License to?"

Dongles may be purchased from Xilinx. For further questions, contact your distributor FAE, sales representative or Xilinx Customer Service via isscs_cases@xilinx.com.

Note: FLEX ID dongles are not officially supported on Linux operating systems. USB dongle licensing is supported on Windows platforms only.

The Host ID that you need to specify is the Host ID that is tied to the dongle. So when you attach the dongle to a computer, you are effectively giving that computer the Host ID of the dongle. The license is tied to the dongle’s Host ID, so it will only work on a computer when the dongle is plugged in.

Best Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
tweeteck

Hi,

I am trying to install Xilinx ISE on Ubuntu and I am using the USB license dongle. I realized that there's no driver for the dongle for Ubuntu, is there any workaround on this? Thanks.

Regards,

Albert

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello Albert,

Referring to the Answer Record 35027 (http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/35027.htm), you can read that Xilinx does not deliver drivers to support USB dongles for licensing on Linux operating systems.

Although not officially supported, some customers have reported that they have been able to install and successfully use Linux dongle drivers for FLEX licensing. 

Typically,​ the FLEX licensing will work as long as the dongle is recognized on the system.  Type "lmutil lmhostid -flexid" to get the dongle FLEX ID and to check if the dongle is recognized.

Ubuntu is a bad choice of OS as it is based on Debian which is not supported by Xilinx tools or FlexNet. In this case, I would recommend you (as a workaround) to use a Xilinx recommended OS (i.e. re-image your machine with Red Hat Linux for example), so that we’ll be able to provide you with the available drivers for the Linux machine.

Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

0 Kudos