UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ise 9.2i in windows 7 (usb cable issues)

Hello!
I have been using Xilinx ISE 9.2i on my windows 7 ultimate PC for some time now. I hear compatibility issues with older versions of ISE but I did not encounter any installation errors when I installed ise 9.2i. I have also used the usb download cable to program my Spartan 3E Starter with no problems.
However, just this morning while trying to program my spartan again, I got this error message:
the platform cable usb firmware has been updated. please disconnect, then reconnect the cable to the usb port, and press ok to complete the update procedure
I followed the instruction but I got another error message:
can not find cable, check cable setup!
So how come the download cable suddenly doesn't work? I couldn't remember doing anything on my computer that would change the driver configurations. I've only been running ise 9.2i, matlab, ms office and other "harmless" programs recently, although there might have been automatic updates on my avast antivirus (I turned off windows updates).
What could have caused this problem? Downloading the latest version of ise might be an option but the installer's just too huge it might take a day to complete the download (my connection's intermittent and not that fast) and I haven't got much time. I will be presenting my FPGA project within the week.
Below is the log messages I get while trying to program my Spartan:
Process "Generate PROM, ACE, or JTAG File" completed successfully
// *** BATCH CMD : loadProjectFile -file 
'1': Loading file 
done.
INFO:iMPACT:1777 - 
Reading D:/Xilinx92i/spartan3e/data/xc3s500e.bsd...
WARNING:iMPACT:2257 - Startup Clock has been changed to 'JtagClk' in the bitstream stored in memory,
but the original bitstream file remains unchanged.
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device xc3s500e successfully.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading D:/Xilinx92i/xcf/data/xcf04s.bsd...
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '2': Added Device xcf04s successfully.
Reading D:/Xilinx92i/xbr/data/xc2c64a.bsd...
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '3': Added Device xc2c64a successfully.
Active mode is BS
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -ss
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -sm
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -hw140
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -spi
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -acecf
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -acempm
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -pff
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
// *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto
AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0. WinDriver v8.11 Jungo (c) 1997 - 2006 Build Date: Oct 16 2006 X86 32bit SYS 12:35:07, version = 811.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT2).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0. WinDriver v8.11 Jungo (c) 1997 - 2006 Build Date: Oct 16 2006 X86 32bit SYS 12:35:07, version = 811.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT3).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT4).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
Checking cable driver.
 File C:\Windows\system32\drivers\xusbdfwu.sys not found.
Driver file not found. Inf file version = 0.
 OS major version = 6.
 Checking xusb_xlp version
Driver file not found. Inf file version = 0.
 Driver version: 1029 (0).
Updating firmware file: version: src=1029, dest=0.
Update completed.
Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
Invalid device driver license.
Error opening cable in update mode.
WARNING:iMPACT:2344 - The Platform Cable USB firmware has been updated. Please disconnect, then reconnect 
the cable to the USB port, and press OK to complete the update procedure.
Cable is being reenumerated. Please wait.
Invalid device driver license.
Cable connection failed.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation

------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Newbie bassethound

Re: ise 9.2i in windows 7 (usb cable issues)

normally it wil work again if you reinstal ise. i have had te same fault but on win xp

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor krikor
Visitor

Hi Kimmadscientist,

I'm sure this reply will prove useless for you now that it's December and you posted this issue with ise 9.2i on Windows 7 back in April, around the same time I was (and still am) developing my design using a Virtex 4 FPGA. Anyways, I figured it's appropriate to provide "a solution" that I just came across, in regards to the same problem, although for EDK 10.1. I hope this helps the reader if she/he is frustrated, has tried everything and has resorted to expletives and pulling their hair out at 2 am in the morning. (lets hope not) :smileywink:

I just got back on my design after a few months off, and like you I'm running Windows 7. When I started up EDK, I loaded up my design, and just for the sake of getting back in the habit of using the software, I started up the XMD debug, and as the terminal loaded up with all the IP information, I came across the dreaded message that you originally posted:

Invalid device driver license

:mansad: (gulp)

So, after a few hours of deleting drivers, reinstalling the design suite, scouring through Google for some information, I sat back for a moment and looked at my JTAG programmer and thought, "hrmm.. I wonder if the firmware version matches up with what's expected by EDK?" I only came to this conclusion because I've had this problem occur many times in the past with other products. In a last ditch effort before heading off to bed, I thought for grins let me just "Download the Bitstream." Sure enough I see the following:

Cable connection established.
Firmware version = 1029.
File version of c:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/data/xusb_xlp.hex = 1303.
Firmware hex file version = 1303.

The EDK recoginzed the mismatch, and downloaded an updated version of the firmware:

Downloading c:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/data/xusb_xlp.hex.
Downloaded firmware version = 1303.

Guess what? IT WORKED!!  Ran XMD Debug, and presto! Back in operation with the cable and drivers being fully recognized.

I hope you've solved your problem, and I also hope that this long, drawn out explanation helps the next person that comes across this problem.

Good Luck!

-kor

0 Kudos
Visitor jwillis2
Visitor

Hello Kor,

I was checking through the forum and I just saw your post and I hoped you could give me some insight.

I currently have vista on my computer but the during the past week I have had a lot of problems with it and I decided to clean my hard drive and reinstall everything. Im thinking of upgrading to windows 7 but I wasn't for sure if my software would work with it. Are you using MATLAB at all on your machine? I want to install MATALB 2008a and ise 10.1 but  I have not been able to find any information that says these two products will work on win 7.

Are you running matlab? What problems did you have when you first installed ise 9.2 to your machine?

Thanks in advance,

J Will

0 Kudos
Visitor krikor
Visitor

Hi J Will,

I too had a lot of problems with Vista on my Toshiba laptop, and decided that a full upgrade was in order. I will tell you that my experience with upgrading to Windows 7 was a rather unpleasant one. I don't know if the process has changed since I took the plunge (around April of this year), but I can tell you that if you intend to upgrade make certain that you download the Upgrade Advisor for Windows 7 first before you purchase a copy:

(link to Upgrade Advisor) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

Using that software, it will give you a better understanding if your PC is ready for the transistion, from a hardware standpoint. To answer your question about MATLAB 2008a, I can tell you that I have not dabbled with that software under Win7, but after doing a quick search on Microsoft's site, I came across this little nugget of information:

(link re: Matlab 2008a and Win7) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproappcompat/thread/4dba5d57-3127-48f3-9461-eb1ef5d7c70e

Don't know how applicable the aforementioned post is to your software, but hopefully you can get clarification from MathWorks by sending them an email to find out for sure.  

I'm currently running EDK and ISE 10.1.03 on Windows 7 without the need for Microsoft's Compatibility Mode. I didn't have any problems with the installation once the transistion from Vista to Win7 was complete. So, I don't think you'll have any issues when you install your copy of ISE. Most of your headaches might come from the switch in Operating Systems. With Toshiba, I had to manually download all the hardware drivers from their site (that is all 22 drivers) and uninstall the Vista drivers, prior to performing the Win7 upgrade. My suggestion to you is to check your PC/Laptop manufacturers website for special instructions that apply to your model. Some might think that's unnecessary and take the traditional approach to upgrade the OS as they've done in the past from Win 98/ME to Win XP which is, pop in the CD, hold your breathe, cross your legs and fingers and hope you don't come across any fatal errors 85% into the installation. (ahem) Yaaaaayy...No bueno... Trust me, take your time with the upgrade and do it right. :smileyhappy:

I hope that answers your questions?

Best Regards,

Kor

0 Kudos
Newbie radkoo

Hi Guys, is it really possible to install ISE 10 on  Win&64 bit?

I am not able, and got answer from support confirming that.

0 Kudos
Newbie johnml1135

I ran into the same issue with a USB cable, ISE 9.2 and Windows 7.  Everything works fine on a XP computer, I can use ISE 9.2 just fine on a Windows 7 but somehow the combination of the three fails.  

Looking at the USB Cable Installation Guide (UG344), I found on the 6th page a table of compatibility

Supported Xilinx Software and Operating Systems

ISE Design Suite WebPACK tool software must be installed on a supported operating

system before any Xilinx USB cable can be used. The following table lists operating system

and Xilinx software combinations that can be used with Xilinx USB cables.

Table 1: Supported Operating Systems and ISE or WebPACK Tool Versions

Operating System ISE or WebPACK Design Tool Version

Windows 2000 Professional SP4

6.3.03i or later

Windows XP Professional 32-bit

6.3.03i or later

Windows XP Professional 64-bit

9.1i or later

Windows Vista 32- and 64-bit

9.2 or later

Windows 7 Professional 32- and 64-bit

13.1 or later

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 3.0

32-bit 7.1i or later

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 3.0

64-bit 9.1i or later

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 4.0

32-bit 8.2i or later

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 4.0

64-bit 9.1i or later

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 5.0

32-bit and 64-bit 9.2i or later

SUSE Linux Enterprise 10.0 32- and 64-bit

10.1 or later

Notes:

1. The operating systems supported by Xilinx USB cables are a sub-set of the operating systems

supported by the ISE or WebPACK design tool software.

2. WebPACK software is a free application available on the Xilinx ISE CD/DVD or for download at

www.xilinx.com/ise/logic_design_prod/webpack.htm.

This table seems to explain the compatibility issues experianced.  Still, it would have been nice to have a little error message pop up telling of the incompatibility or at least an update to the readme in the USB drivers.

A few years late I know, but I hope this helps somebody...

0 Kudos