UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie shibmo

translate fails with no log nor errors; could this be an issue with the environment?

translate fails with no log nor errors;  could this be an issue with the environment? I'm using ISE10.1i

I tried to install ISE twice but still same issue.

Process "Translate" failed

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Visitor cgha
Visitor

Re: translate fails with no log nor errors; could this be an issue with the environment?

Yes, I also encounted similar problem,but with Process "Synthesize" failed
 can xilinx give us some solution?
Message Edited by cgha on 01-06-2009 10:15 PM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: translate fails with no log nor errors; could this be an issue with the environment?

shibmo, cgha,

Typically, errors of this sort indicate that ISE had problems getting these processes started (thus a synthesis or translate report is not available for debugging of the errors).  Consider using "Clean Up Project Files" within the Project menu in order to clean up your project and force ISE to regenerate the necessary output files and scripts to run the design.  If the problem persist, consider opening a WebCase via http://www.xilinx.com/support/clearexpress/websupport.htm to have one of our Application Engineers help you out.

-edv 

Eddie
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Visitor sgeier
Visitor

I found this because I have the exact same problem -- details are here:

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/message?board.id=SYNTHBD&message.id=300

It's definitely not a problem with running Synthesis -- that one runs just fine and generates all the right output and the summary says "Current state: synthesized" but the last line on the console is "Process synthesis failed" and there is a red "x" next to the process and thus one cannot run Implementation. No errors, no warnings, just "process synthesis failed".

I'll have a look at the "open a web case" thingee...

0 Kudos
Visitor godmw
Visitor

I'm seeing the same thing with ISE 12.4 on Linux 64.   Process "Translate" failed.  NGD file is written to disk and appears to be OK.  Log file indicates no problems.  I opened a webcase after searching around some.

Dave

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It sounds like there may be two separate issues being reported in this thread.

1> Synthesis completes and is marked with a green check as being successfully completed but, translate fails to run or produce a log.

2> Synthesis completes (apparently successfully) but the status is marked as failed.  In this case it is obvious that translate will not run due to the status of synthesis.

In case number 1, the only thing that comes to mind is a corrupt project or Project Navigator is in a bad state.  I would try running an example design and see if it implements OK.  Close Project Navigator and open it again to make sure the problem is not just the tool getting into a weird state.  If you are using 10.1 without a service pack, get the service packs.  That will help out with limiting these types of problems.

In case number 2, either  synthesis is really failing, the synthesis is successful but for some reason returns a non-zero value, or the project is corrupt.  In this case my first test again would be to test one of the example designs to see if they can implement.  Cleaning up generated files is a god idea.  Changing the device to the opposite type (CPLD or FPGA) and then back to the original device will reset the project to a completely new state.

If the problem proves to be project specific, you should look carefully through the synthesis log file to assure that there is no error.  I've seen cases where there was an error but synthesis for some reason reported that there was not an error.  Then when translate started to run, the correct files did not exist to run.

Finally, you could set the following debug environment variable to get a better idea of what Project Navigator is doing.

XIL_PROJNAV_FLOW_DEBUG_LEVEL

It takes values 0 to 99 with 99 being the highest.  You'll probably want about 20.

If you end up creating a support case, having the debug log would help Technical Support diagnose the problem.

0 Kudos
Newbie jmca_km

Hi,

Same error here. Translate fails with no error message. ISE 13.1 , Windows 7 64 bit,  SP2.

I tried the command line  and got more info (see attached file).

In my case , there is a problem with a .dll file, maybe used by the .exe launching the translate. So , I may need to reinstall my ISE. The point is that I don't remember having any updates in my OS lately and I've been using this configuration for some time... 

ise_error.jpg
0 Kudos