UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

uninstall 12.3 on Windows Vista x64 - FAIL

Jump to solution

I've been successfully running webpack 12.4 on Vista x64, and I'm about to install 13.1.  I'll keep 12.4 in place -- after all, I'm not as dumb as I look.  However, I'm ready to uninstall 12.3.

The START menu uninstall results in a crash of xsetup.exe.  Same if I run 'xsetup -uninstall' from the .../common/bin/nt64 folder.

• Do I need to "uninstall" 12.3, or will a simple 'delete the 12.3 folder tree' suffice?
  • If "uninstall" is needed or recommended, what's my next step in debugging this xsetup.exe crash?

Thanks,

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: uninstall 12.3 on Windows Vista x64 - FAIL

Jump to solution

Starting with the 12.1 software the Windows install was changed significantly and has little (if any) reliance on Registry settings.  This was done to be able to easily enable multiple ISE versions on the same machine as it has always been the case with Linux (and previously Solaries).

So, go ahead and just delete the 12.3 directory and remove the 12.3 folder from the Start menu.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Starting with the 12.1 software the Windows install was changed significantly and has little (if any) reliance on Registry settings.  This was done to be able to easily enable multiple ISE versions on the same machine as it has always been the case with Linux (and previously Solaries).

So, go ahead and just delete the 12.3 directory and remove the 12.3 folder from the Start menu.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

As implied, 11.x was not quite as graceful.

Let's say you installed 11.1, installed it again to a different directory, and then patched one to 11.5 - you'd now have 11.1 and 11.5. But when removed 11.1, it would think 11.5 was not installed because of the shared registry settings.

The way to fix this was to run remotexsetup.bat under INSTALL_AREA\common\bin\nt which was intended for network installs but works here and much quicker than reinstalling.

12.x is different as stated, but there is a shortcutSetup.bat that can be useful for some cases.

Both are referenced in their respective installation guides, e.g.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/irn.pdf (ISE Design Suite 11: Installation, Licensing, and Release Notes)

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx12_4/irn.pdf

Starting in 11.x, the tools are more forgiving about environment variables (the GUIs generally know how to work around XILINX & Path not being set correctly), but you'll want this if you run scripts:

e.g. Start -> Programs -> ISE Design Suite 12.4 -> Accessories -> ISE Design Suite Command Prompt

Of course, if you switch back to older versions for legacy designs, they were not quite as clean in this respect.

Cheers,

bt

0 Kudos
Visitor meher89
Visitor

Jump to solution

thank you ....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor meher89