Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lionrouge
Adventurer
Adventurer

DDR3 init_calib_complete doesn't go high in example design

Hi !

I have created a very simple project with DDR3 MIG core. It works - just doing simple write/read/check in an infinite loop.

But when i try to create an example design for the very same IP core i use in my design - it fails passing the calibration stage.
I know it for sure as i have routed init_calib_complete to one of the pins.
The same happens when i try to create a memory test app with Microblaze - init_calib_complete just is not asserted.

Could you please help me find out the issue?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vemulad
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @lionrouge

Is this failure seen in hardware?

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
lionrouge
Adventurer
Adventurer

How can i check it?
0 Kudos
lionrouge
Adventurer
Adventurer

It's weird but our PCB works with settings as for Micron memory predefined in MIG.
I tried to change DDR3 between our PCB (we use Samsung) and KC705 (Micron) with different settings.
Everything works with Micron ( MT8JTF12864HZ-1G6 ) settings in the core. Both Samsung and Micron. On both boards.

So i think i need to ask another question: what could go wrong while creating custom memory part in MIG and why Samsung memory works with Micron timings.

P.S. The Samsung memory we use is dual-rank. And we have a problem with memory routing copied from KC705 (CK pairs in different byte groups). So trying to use Samsung memory as single rank. May it be the issue?

0 Kudos
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@lionrouge

I suspect if dual rank memory timings match with that of single rank. we do not genrally recommend that flow.

When you use dual rank as single rank how did you comminucate that to MIG?

Have you genearted the IP for single rank or dual rank? How is the extra cs tied on board?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
lionrouge
Adventurer
Adventurer

I use Vivado 2015.2. It still doesn't have any way to explicitly point to MIG whether i use single or dual rank. When i create a custom part i just use some predefined part as the base. In my case i used KC705' Micron MT8JTF12864HZ-1G6 memory as a template. And it's single rank. So when i point Samsung' part bank/row/column width it creates a single rank memory with half of it's actual size (510MB instead of 1GB in my case).

Why do i do that? Because we copied our memory routing from KC705. And it's incompatible with MIG requirements for dual-rank memory - it has different CK pairs in different byte groups. I had a discussion here about that issue.

0 Kudos