UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bschwerdt
Visitor

DDR4 MIG VHDL simulation in Riviera

I have a DDR4 controller that I generated in Vivado 2019.2, MIG 2.2.  I am attempting to simulate the behavioral VHDL netlist in Aldec Riviera-Pro.  The controller is sitting idle, and seemingly not finishing the initialization sequence.  Namely, port c0_ddr4_reset_n (active low) remains low, and port c0_init_calib_complete (active high) remains low.

Before the controller goes idle, there is some activity on the adr, ba, bg, cke, odt, ck_t, and ck_c pins.  Then all but the ck_t/ck_c clocks stop.  This is shown in the screen capture attached.  The capture goes to 2us, but no further activity occurs beyond that point.  I have run the simulation as long as 20ms.

Is the controller attempting to perform a calibration routine?  Isn't this supposed to be turned off for simulation?

ddr4_sim.PNG
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: DDR4 MIG VHDL simulation in Riviera

According to pg150, only behavirol simulation is supported. 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

At the initial, there's the stage of calibration which cannot be turned off.

0 Kudos
Visitor bschwerdt
Visitor

How long should I expect this calibration to take?  I have run the simulation for 10s of milliseconds, and it never seems to finish calibration.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It takes less than 10us. Riviera is not t our supported third party simulator. Can you verilog behavoral simulation successfully in Vivado and other third-part simulator (Modelsim, IES, VCS Questa, etc) ?

0 Kudos
Visitor bschwerdt
Visitor

I have not tried simulating in Vivado.

The IP generator creates a _sim_netlist.vhd file.  Is this all that is needed for simulation?  I am compiling and running that.  I have successfully compiled unisim for Riviera, so I don't understand why this does not work.

0 Kudos
Visitor bschwerdt
Visitor

If the memory controller's outputs are open / undriven, does the calibration routine still complete in 10us?  Or do I need something to simulate the interactions from the DDR4 chip itself?

0 Kudos
Mentor watari
Mentor

Hi @bschwerdt 

I guess MIG requires result of calibration stage (write leveling, read leveling and adjustment of eye-pattern) if using netlist.

However, it is hard to emulate them by testbench with netlist.

So, I guess Xilinx only support behaiviour simulation without calibration stage.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Visitor bschwerdt
Visitor

Interesting.  Can I generate the behavioral model without the calibration stage?  It is not immediately apparent to me how I would do that.  I don't see an option in the MIG IP generator.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

No, calibration stage canno the skipped in behavirol simulation.

0 Kudos
Visitor bschwerdt
Visitor

If the memory controller's outputs are open / undriven, does the calibration routine still complete in 10us?  Or do I need something to simulate the interactions from the DDR4 chip itself?

I never got an answer to this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

No, there should be stable clock on the sys_clk intput and sys_rst should be released after sys_clk get stable.

0 Kudos