UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie olsene01

Does successful MIG calibration completely validate PCB design?

I am working on a new PCB design that includes a DDR3 interface to a xc7k325tffg676-2 FPGA. I have a test bitfile with a MIG and the MIG init_calib_complete signal is asserted a few seconds after boot. Since we are under a deadline to do a board respin and there are other peripherals to validate, does a successful calibration verify that the PCB layout and design is valid? Are there other things I should do before saying this part of the PCB is working?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Does successful MIG calibration completely validate PCB design?

Basically, its a good start, but nope,
You can not "prove" a PCB design by running a random sample of one,
Things like DDR interfaces, you need to simulate, using tools like HyperLynx.

If you can not simulate, at least get a memory test running, thrashing the design, and leave it for a few days... If you have a means to cool and heat the board, be it a hot water bottle with hot or cold water or a proper chamber, all the better.

You still have not worst case proved, but your going to get a better confidence level.

You need to run a memor
y test,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Newbie olsene01

Thanks. Is there a recommended method for testing, assuming I cannot simulate? Would an AXI Traffic Generator suffice?

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Any pattern generator will do, some more than others,
You just need to be able to check the data is written and read correctly,
some sort of PRBS to generate data and a state machine to check results

Or have search for tools on line
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos