UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Example design storing DDR data to file using USB interface?

Are there any Xilinx example designs where I can use a Kintex board like the KC-705 and possibly an FMC USB card that would show me how I can take DDR stored data and read it off the DDR using USB and save to a file on a PC?   I am assuming on the PC side I would need to have something like MS Visual Studio and possibly some non-free USB driver.

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Example design storing DDR data to file using USB interface?

Hi Tim,

It sounds like you’ve got the FPGA talking to external RAM via a DDR interface – and you need help getting the FPGA to talk with a PC via a USB interface. Did I understand the question correctly?

For the USB interface, consider buying a USB-to-RS232 convertor (eg. from <here>).  The convertor helps because it is easier to get the FPGA talking with RS232 than to get it talking directly with USB. In fact, creating your own RS232 interface with HDL (aka software UART) is not too hard. The post <here> gives details, including a good start on some Verilog HDL that does the job.

Then, on the PC end, you can get terminal software like Hyperterminal – which once came free with MS-Windows. Hyperterminal (or something similar) will allow you to easily see data coming over the RS232>USB connection and also allow you to easily save the data to a disk file.

Cheers,
Mark

0 Kudos

Mark,

Thanks for the response.   I should have mentioned that I am needing to move on the order of ~25MByte chunks from DDR to the PC and I have successfully used the UART interface but as you can imagine this is extremely time consuming with that interface.

This is why I was hoping for a USB interface I could use along with a driver and a Visual Studio GUI.  

Thanks.  

Tim 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I would consider moving to a Zynq board and use the ARM processor running petalinx to provide your USB interface and then move your fabric DDR data to USB via the ARM. If Zynq is not an option then perhaps Microblaze with USB may get you there. Which I belive this may cover (I only glanced at this after a quick search):

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp891-7series-axi-usb-2-0.pdf

0 Kudos