Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bebork
Visitor
Visitor

How to increase DDR3 memory depth

Jump to solution

Hi all,

currently we have to build a system, that holds an amount of 16GB data. For bandwith reasons we have to use DDR3 DIMMs. The question is: Is it possible to connect more than one DIMM to one memory interface in a Virtex6, generated by MIG? If it is so, how much DIMMs could be connected (idealy 4 - 4GB each DIMM) and where can I find literature, that describes this technical issue?

best regards,

bebork

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
criley
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can't generate one MIG controller for multiple DIMMs but MIG does support mult-controller designs so you could generate 4 controllers, one for each DIMM, and then use the top-level wrapper MIG generates in your design. Depending on the FPGA family you are using this information can be found in UG086, UG388, or UG406.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
criley
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can't generate one MIG controller for multiple DIMMs but MIG does support mult-controller designs so you could generate 4 controllers, one for each DIMM, and then use the top-level wrapper MIG generates in your design. Depending on the FPGA family you are using this information can be found in UG086, UG388, or UG406.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
bebork
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

thanks for the answer. I tried to generate 4 MIG controllers and it looks fine. The disadvantage of this system is the the very high pin count.

Is there a possibility to generate it, so that DIMMs share the same data bus and most pins of the address bus physically?

Regards,

bebork

0 Kudos
jschmitz
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

MIG will not generate a DIMM design more than one socket with dual rank with V6 (and you only get maximum performance with a single rank DIMM).  You could modify the code for your particular application (source is included), but remember that the MIG phy is only calibrating on one rank, so this should not be undertaken lightly.

Earlier you mentioned that you needed multiple DIMM's for bandwidth, but you won't get maximum bandwidth with a shared data bus.  Do you really need bandwidth or storage capacity?

0 Kudos
bebork
Visitor
Visitor

Pardon my imprecise formulation. Bandwith for a single DIMM would be enough, 16GB storage capacity is a must. Modify the MIG generated code is an idea, but not the best (you mentioned that only one DIMM will be calibrated by the PHY).

Another question is: Does Xilinx plan to support 16GB RDIMMs like Hynix HMT42GR7AMR4C or Samsung M393B2K70BM1 (both 4 rank modules)?

Is there any other solution to get 16GB running on a Xilinx FPGA with economically justifiable pin count?

Thanks and regards,

bebork

0 Kudos
jschmitz
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It's not trivial to attach very large amounts of memory to the FPGA as you request and get decent performance.  The best bet for this is something that is just coming out called LR-DIMM.  It includes a buffer for both the address/control and data, so the FPGA only sees one load.

There have been some press releases on LR-DIMM: http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218900117

I've seen other proprietary solutions that are similar to the LR-DIMM.  Netlist may have something and I bet there are others.

0 Kudos
bebork
Visitor
Visitor

Hi again,

After long search I got a prliminary datasheet of a 16 GB DDR3 LRDIMM. This module has (like Hynix HMT42GR7AMR4C or Samsung M393B2K70BM1 RDIMMs) 4 ranks selectable by 4 Chipselects. So my question is again: Does Xilinx plan to support such quad rank interfaces with the MIG generated cores?

0 Kudos
jschmitz
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I can't speak to specific future product plans, but I can say that decisions on where to invest are based on customer demand and revenue potential.  Let your FAE and sales person know that LR-DIMM is of interest to you.  Note that JEDEC has yet to give its final approval to the LR-DIMM standard.

I can say that MIG does output source and with LR-DIMM you don't have to worry about the calibration of multiple ranks, so you are just dealing with logical issues.  I have not looked at this in detail, but it might not be too hard to make any needed changes manually.

0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

Have you considered either SSD (Solid State Disk) or CompactFlash for your application?  Either one might beat the 16GB DDR solution for board space, power, cost, and pinout.  For either one, running 2 or more in parallel will extend bandwidth to meet your needs.

There are a number of viable solutions out there, and a wide selection of folks selling high-bandwidth NAND flash based products, eager to discuss your needs with you.  These are products (with supporting cores/IP) which are available, off the shelf, today.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
bebork
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Bob,

thanks for your post. My bandwidth needs are at least 3 Gb/s to and 12 Gb/s from the 16 GB memory in parallel (together 15 Gb/s). Fastest SSD read performance I have found is 235 MB/s = 1,88 Gb/s. In this case I need in minimum 8 SSDs and 8 SATA 3Gb/s interfaces on the FPGA - much to expensive. CompactFlash is slower than SSD I think.

Stays high-bandwidth NAND flash. Fastest SLC NAND chip I have found is 320 Mb/s. That would be 47 chips for 15 Gb/s and 376 FPGA pins for databus only. Some chips more because 320 Mb/s is excluding times for switching between pages. Sounds affordable but is it manageable in the FPGA? Are there faster NAND devices on the market?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

bebork

0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

Bebork,

Do you need 15 Gb/sec (Gbits/sec) or 15 GB/sec (GBytes/sec) ?

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
bebork
Visitor
Visitor

I need 15 Gbits/s. For me Gb = Gbits and GB = Gbytes.

0 Kudos
balanga
Visitor
Visitor

Hi

I need too use 2GB or 4GB DDR3 (component) In Zynq 7000 board and connect to the PL of Zynq.

Is it possible ?

What is the maximum density DDR3 for PL part of zynq 7000 ?

When we use multi-controller in MIG for DDR3?

0 Kudos