UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer cf.lee
Observer

How to set DDR3 PHY only mode?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I add a DDR3 SDRAM and want to select PHY only mode, but when I double click the IP, the mode filed is not changable.

How can I enable the field and change it?

thanks,

Lee

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to set DDR3 PHY only mode?

Jump to solution

Hello @cf.lee ,

It sounds like you're trying to use the DDR3 IP in a Block Design through IP Integrator, correct? 

The reason you can't select the PHY Only option in this case is because every IP in a block design needs to have a standard AXI interface at the top level.  When using the DDR3/DDR4 IP if PHY Only mode the top level interface to the IP is a custom Xilinx solution and therefore isn't compatible with the Block Design IPI flows.  See the screenshot below when I try to customize the IP in a block design:
ddr3_in_block_design.PNG

See how the AXI Interface option is automatically selected which then prevents you from selecting any other options.

Now here's a screenshot of the IP outside of a Block Design when the AXI interface option isn't selected:
ddr3_ip_mode.png

7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @cf.lee ,

Could you please tell us what kind of FPGA and vivado are you using?  It also would be more helpful for us to understand, if you upload a MIG GUI capture which you are facing an issue.

Best regards,

kshimizu 

Product Application Engineer Xilinx Technical Support

-------------------------------------------------------

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.  Please Give Kudos.

-------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: How to set DDR3 PHY only mode?

Jump to solution

Are you using the MIG on 7 Series? If so, you can refer to "Physical Layer Interface" section in ug586.

0 Kudos
Observer cf.lee
Observer

回复: How to set DDR3 PHY only mode?

Jump to solution

Hi @kshimizu , @kren 

Thanks for your reply.

I want use the DDR3 PHY on VU440, have tried Vivado 2018.2, 2018.3 & 2019.1

Can't upload image due to network issue now, will try later.

Lee

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @cf.lee ,

It sounds like you're trying to use the DDR3 IP in a Block Design through IP Integrator, correct? 

The reason you can't select the PHY Only option in this case is because every IP in a block design needs to have a standard AXI interface at the top level.  When using the DDR3/DDR4 IP if PHY Only mode the top level interface to the IP is a custom Xilinx solution and therefore isn't compatible with the Block Design IPI flows.  See the screenshot below when I try to customize the IP in a block design:
ddr3_in_block_design.PNG

See how the AXI Interface option is automatically selected which then prevents you from selecting any other options.

Now here's a screenshot of the IP outside of a Block Design when the AXI interface option isn't selected:
ddr3_ip_mode.png

Observer cf.lee
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @ryana ,

Yes, this is the problem I have encountered.

ctrl_phy_mode.jpg

I tried the way you mentioned and can correctly generate what I need. Thank you!

It seems there is no PHY only reference design or simulation env., right?

BRs,

Lee

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @cf.lee ,

You can still generate an IP example design that's PHY only but the test bench is more simplified.  Better than that, when you generate a complete controller example design you can dig in to the hierarchy and get to the point where you can see the Xilinx memory controller drive the PHY signals.  Here if you simulate the complete controller example design, making sure to enable 'log all signals', you can see how our controller drives the 'PHY Only' signals in a more sophisticated environment.  Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
phy_only_signals.png

Observer cf.lee
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @ryana ,

It's very helpful, thank you~

BRs,

Lee

0 Kudos