Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
embedded
Advisor
Advisor

Lack of clock resources for MIG

Hi all,

I have a DDR-II in my board - a virtex6 family - and I want to use it in my VHDL design. When I use MIG to initialize the core I see it needs two different clock sources one named sys_clk and the other ref_clk. I have two clock sources in my board and have used one of them - let's call it main_clk - in my design before. I have just one source of clock left free for sys_clk and for ref_clk of MIG I don't have any other clcok sources on my board. I am wondering if there is a way to share sys_clk or main_clk used for the rest of my design with this one or not?

I appreciate any help,

Hossein

Thanks,
Hossein
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
jg_bds
Scholar
Scholar

What's the frequency of your existing main_clk?  Can it be used to generate a 200-MHz clock signal for the ref_clk input of the MIG? If so, you might be able to use the remaining, unused input to your chip for the MIG's sys_clk input.

Alternatively, is the frequency of main_clk suitable for use as the sys_clk input of the MIG? (You'll have to confirm that frequency option with the MIG.) Unfortunately, there are other restrictions on sys_clk that may prohibit the use of main_clk for sys_clk, even if the frequency is suitable.

-Joe G.