UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Lack of clock resources for MIG

Hi all,

I have a DDR-II in my board - a virtex6 family - and I want to use it in my VHDL design. When I use MIG to initialize the core I see it needs two different clock sources one named sys_clk and the other ref_clk. I have two clock sources in my board and have used one of them - let's call it main_clk - in my design before. I have just one source of clock left free for sys_clk and for ref_clk of MIG I don't have any other clcok sources on my board. I am wondering if there is a way to share sys_clk or main_clk used for the rest of my design with this one or not?

I appreciate any help,

Hossein

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Lack of clock resources for MIG

What's the frequency of your existing main_clk?  Can it be used to generate a 200-MHz clock signal for the ref_clk input of the MIG? If so, you might be able to use the remaining, unused input to your chip for the MIG's sys_clk input.

Alternatively, is the frequency of main_clk suitable for use as the sys_clk input of the MIG? (You'll have to confirm that frequency option with the MIG.) Unfortunately, there are other restrictions on sys_clk that may prohibit the use of main_clk for sys_clk, even if the frequency is suitable.

-Joe G.